Engineer
Escalante, Utah
Bryce Canyon National Park
Saint George, Utah
Las Vegas, NV
Baker, CA
Barstow, CA

Actually every 200 mile along I-15 and 1-70 from Green River, Utah to Denver
Barstow, Baker, Las Vegas and St. George already have EA chargers.
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We are in Escalante, Utah. Midway between Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon. Zion and Canyonlands/Arches are nearby (by our standards) There should be a high capacity charging station in each. We've switched to the SUV and will need to wait for the extended range or charging stations because over the 200-400 mile distances out here in the west.
One of the most beautiful areas in the whole world. Every mile you drive there, around the corner is a grand new scene to take in and appreciate. Stunning. Must have chargers! Multiple locations. Amen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack
From an Oregon Perspective.
  • Joseph, OR (Wallowa - Whitman National Forest, Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Baker City, OR (Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Lewiston, ID (Nez Perce - Clearwater National Forests and US-12)
  • Denio, NV (Steens Mountain Wilderness and Alvord Desert)
  • Bend, OR (Deschutes National Forest)
  • Lakeview, OR (Intermediate connection to Eastern Oregon, Northeaster California, Northern Nevada)
  • John Day, OR (Malheur National Forest, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument)
  • Newport, OR (Oregon Coast)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

From an Oregon Perspective.
  • Joseph, OR (Wallowa - Whitman National Forest, Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Baker City, OR (Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Lewiston, ID (Nez Perce - Clearwater National Forests and US-12)
  • Denio, NV (Steens Mountain Wilderness and Alvord Desert)
  • Bend, OR (Deschutes National Forest)
  • Lakeview, OR (Intermediate connection to Eastern Oregon, Northeaster California, Northern Nevada)
  • John Day, OR (Malheur National Forest, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument)
  • Newport, OR (Oregon Coast)
FortyFiveNorthwoods, Welcome to the Forum! Fellow Oregonian here.

I agree wholeheartedlywith your suggestions. I'd also love to see the RAN consider Brookings, Coos Bay, and Tillamook to open up the State and National Forests along the Oregon and NorCal Coast, as well as Burns and Jordan Valley to open up (and allow all to traverse) Central Oregon and the Owyhee basin, as well as reaching into SW Idaho and Northern Nevada.

In Idaho:

Stanley (possibly locate RAN station at Redfield Lake Lodge) would allow adventuring in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area as well as helping to traverse this underserved region.

Salmon to open up the River of No Return area as well as the Salmon-Challis National Forest.

McCall to get access to the Payette N.F. and the Idaho side of the Hells Canyon Natl. Rec. Area along the Snake River.

Lewiston to help access from the North to the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area in N.E. Oregon, and the wine country around Walla Walla, Washington. (Yes, its so good, they named it twice).

The combo of McCall and Lewiston would allow a corridor on US95 and connect I-84 to I-90. This type of shortcut has no other similar connecter for hundreds of miles to the East or West and it would open up some spectacular scenery.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wallowa-whitman/recarea/?recid=51359

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wallowa-whitman/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=79468&actid=50

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

From latest communication:

We are also building the Rivian Adventure Network — a large network of DC fast chargers — to make it easy for you to go anywhere on the map. As we build this network, we’re focused on the most popular routes and destinations first. While we won’t have every point on the map connected on day one, our goal is to build the most explorer-centric charging network in the world. In addition to this DC charging network, we’re installing Level 2 chargers at many of the longer-stay and overnight destinations. Beyond our Rivian network, we're ensuring our vehicles easily integrate with third-party networks, and given that the majority of charging will happen at home, we’ll have a home charging option available, too. We’ll be announcing the initial charger locations later this year, and this charger map will be integrated with our in-vehicle and mobile applications.

GATHERING AGAIN
Before the pandemic, we had the pleasure of hosting events around the country and meeting many of you in person. These were incredibly memorable moments for our team and we look forward to bringing people together again safely in 2021. We’ll be launching 10 experience centers across the U.S. in 2021 — each one connecting you to the people, places and things you love.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack

I agree wholeheartedlywith your suggestions. I'd also love to see the RAN consider Brookings, Coos Bay, and Tillamook to open up the State and National Forests along the Oregon and NorCal Coast, as well as Burns and Jordan Valley to open up (and allow all to traverse) Central Oregon and the Owyhee basin, as well as reaching into SW Idaho and Northern Nevada.
Thank you! I've decided this year I'm going to lobby my Oregon reps to put EV charging stations at Rest Stops and State Parks.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Time for a little Canadian content here.

The small community of Bella Coola sits in what we in British Columbia call the Central Coast. Access is via ferry or highway #20.

Okay, highway is definitely a stretch. This road could pass for the lane behind your house. There's a chunk of it, down a very, very steep hill that isn't paved.

Perfect place for an adventure? You better believe it. But, you will have a tough time going there with an electric vehicle. The driving distance from the nearest community with a charger, Williams Lake, is 467 kilometres/297 miles.

PlugShare shows a charger at Tweedsmuir Park Lodge. The fine print, however, says it is only for lodge guests. Even if you make it to Bella Coola, the only charger there is an extension cord slung out of the harbour authority office.

Let's just say, a charging station at Bella Coola and one halfway to Williams Lake would be nice.

Then, there's highway #37, from the Terrace/Prince Rupert area just south of the Alaska Panhandle up to near Watson Lake in the Yukon.

From the time you leave Kitwanga til you reach Watson Lake, there are no chargers at all. That would be 744 kilometres/462 miles. And it gets worse. The three charging stations in the Watson Lake area are showing as RV parks. There doesn't look to be a decent charger until you get closer to Whitehorse.

So, we could really use three chargers along #37 and another one in the southern Yukon.

So far there is not much up in the Northeast of BC, either. Probably because that is oil and gas country. Hopefully that eventually gets filled in. Frankly, I would get more excited about driving #37.

Then, there is Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk in the Northwest Territories. How am I going to paddle my kayak in the Arctic Ocean if I can't drive to Tuktoyaktuk?

They don't have anything in the way of a charger. And, the last charger showing on PlugShare is an RV park at Carmacks.

The distance calculator I've been using doesn't even know there is a road to Tuk. All I get is that the flight distance is 974 kilometres/605 miles. The crows will be delighted to hear that!

Yes it is obviously a long drive. But, also spectacular. And, we could really use some charging options!

Somebody should chime in on Alaska. There must be some more options heading west from Whitehorse.

Cheers
Reed

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

In Idaho:

Stanley (possibly locate RAN station at Redfield Lake Lodge) would allow adventuring in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area as well as helping to traverse this underserved region.

Salmon to open up the River of No Return area as well as the Salmon-Challis National Forest.

McCall to get access to the Payette N.F. and the Idaho side of Hell's Canyon along the Snake River.
Agreed. I'd probably say McCall or Cascade as a "hub" in central Idaho. I was looking the other day, and there doesn't appear to be any sore of DC charge between Boise and Coeur d'Alene on any network, including tesla's. ?

Sun Valley is the next obvious option up there, but I think I saw something in Haley.

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Would love to see coverage of the I-80 corridor in WY. Not just because I live here... but high winds, elevation change, and cold weather are going to really cut into the rated range of a BEV. The highways close pretty frequently in the winter, so travelers are frequently stranded and in need of a top-off while hopping between towns that are 100 miles apart. And off-the-highway RV parks where you could normally leave your car plugged in for an overnight Level 2 charge are often just plain closed for the season.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd also love to see the RAN consider Brookings, Coos Bay, and Tillamook to open up the State and National Forests along the Oregon and NorCal Coast
There are already EV chargers available in Brookings at Fred Meyer (although they're 7.2kWh, afaik). Since Rivian is focusing on national parks and places where commercial interest is minimal, I think we'd have more success lobbying companies like Fred Meyer in Brookings/Coos Bay to install DCFC as it brings them more customers.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

There are already EV chargers available in Brookings at Fred Meyer (although they're 7.2kWh, afaik). Since Rivian is focusing on national parks and places where commercial interest is minimal, I think we'd have more success lobbying companies like Fred Meyer in Brookings/Coos Bay to install DCFC as it brings them more customers.
That's good to know about Freddy's. I agree that they would be wise to upgrade to a more capable system. U.S. 101 has a ton of traffic, especially from April through October. Any chance to get EV drivers to hang around to shop or enjoy a meal would pay dividends. There's a real shortage that makes the coast route a slow way to go.

kayaker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
truck
Occupation
software engineer
Pigeon River takeout at exit 447 on I-40, potentially partner with NOC or one of the other rafting companies.
Ocoee Whitewater Center on US 64
Chattooga Bull Sluice on US 76 at the SC, GA border.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I live in Grand Junction Colorado and we like to mountain bike, boondock camp and drive trails around Colorado and eastern Utah.

1. I see a big need for dc fast chargers in Moab as well as some more level 2 chargers. We go out there to mountain bike, drive trails and camp, usually on blm land a ways out of town. A lot of the mtb trails are too far out of town to ride to while charging and obviously you can't charge while driving the 4 wheel drive trails. With our trailer we could make it there on one charge with the large battery pack but would need to charge again, preferably during a quick trip to town for a meal. It would be great to see level 2 chargers in places like the slickrock trailhead so people riding or camping at sand flats can charge.
2. Ouray Colorado is another area we love to camp and drive the passes and could really benefit from a dc fast charge station.
3. Gunnison Colorado could use a dcfc station to fill in the gap along highway 50. Crested Butte is famous for its mtb trails but Gunnison has a good trail network also and it would make towing between Montrose and Salida more reasonable.
4. At least a Level 2 charging station at Canyonlands needles district would make camping and hiking or driving elephant hill trail there more realistic because it's quite remote.
5. Level 2 chargers at bullfrog marina on lake Powell would make it possible for people towing their boat out there to recharge while on the lake.

I just finished installing 13.68kw of solar on our house so local trips would all be sun powered!

Here's our trailer setup:
Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations 20200801_140317

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Gallop has EA chargers already (150-350KW). Flagstaff has chargers and is relatively close to Sedona (Chargepoint 50KW, EA 150-350KW). Pagoasa spring also has DFDCs (125KW). Moab only has 50KW.
EA is now adding these sites in partnership with Arizona Public Service, to be completed in 2022:

Sedona, AZ
Prescott, AZ
Globe, AZ
Payson, AZ
Showlow, AZ

That covers a lot of popular spots in Arizona, and the EA site in Williams AZ, just south of Grand Canyon, is now open. The Grand Canyon Park already has several L2 chargers.

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
Add Tropic, Escalante or Boulder, Green River, Monticello, Kanab UT, Borrego Springs, Yucca Valley, Kelso CA.
Sponsored