Sponsored

Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Ditto to all of these I-80 locations. Having to drop south into Colorado and back up through the heart of Utah to access the Pacific Northwest from the eastern U.S. is a huge detour and likely deters some from considering a non-Tesla EV.

I-25, I-90 & I-94 are all lacking any DCFC system just to cross the Upper Plains/Rockies, let alone explore these beautiful expanses. If we want to "Adventure", we need to add vendors!
Double-ditto here. There are big gaps in charging infrastructure in the mountain west until one gets closer to the west coast. There are so many adventures to be had in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas, Idaho . . . hoping they can be Rivian adventures, but will be inaccessible even to the longest-range Rivians without a charging network.

Our Southwest, Great Plains, and East Coast colleagues likely can point out similar gaps in those areas.
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Without DCFC CCS charging stations in Wyoming, I’ve decided it would probably still be better for the environment to drive an ICE car directly from Denver to Jackson/Montana rather than drive nearly twice the distance in a Rivian. That's a crucial corridor for DCFC but probably not a ton of initial demand.

With Rivian building some charging stations in Salida, I also hope they build something in N/NW Colorado. There is a Tesla supercharger in Kremling but not much on CCS outside a new plug in Steamboat. To be clear, this part of Colorado is terrible and you should never visit, but it would be great to get some more places to charge.
One dynamite hub destination to spread out from like the spokes of a wagon wheel is Yellowstone/Tetons/Wind River Range with close by towns including Jackson and Cody. The traffic is already immense in the spring, summer, and fall with innumerable wilderness destinations nearby. No doubt this and other such clusters are already on Rivian maps and drawing boards. What an amazing country we live in for Rivian to serve with it’s vehicles. We also hear Tesla is about to open up it’s charging stations to other BEV’s.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Jackson already has a 50kW public CCS station. Only two chargers, so it’s likely not enough capacity long term, but I’d prefer Rivian focus their efforts on places that don’t already have, and are unlikely to get in the near future, any CCS DCFS stations.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Jackson already has a 50kW public CCS station. Only two chargers, so it’s likely not enough capacity long term, but I’d prefer Rivian focus their efforts on places that don’t already have, and are unlikely to get in the near future, any CCS DCFS stations.
50 kW chargers are less than a quarter of the speed the Rivian is capable of, so anyone connecting to them will need to do it for 4-5 times as long for the same amount of charge as an EA or Rivian DCFC unit.
They need charging not only in locations like Jackson, but on the routes people are likely to take to get there.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

50 kW chargers are less than a quarter of the speed the Rivian is capable of, so anyone connecting to them will need to do it for 4-5 times as long for the same amount of charge as an EA or Rivian DCFC unit.
They need charging not only in locations like Jackson, but on the routes people are likely to take to get there.
You are so right. Nice to have any charger at your destination (even if only Level 2), but having DCFC stations peppered along the way is what's really needed. Hard to adventure someplace if you can't get there.

Not that this is the forum for it, but until the CCS infrastructure is more robust, I'm hoping the recent patent submissions indicate rental battery packs will be available early in the life of the 41 coming Service Centers. Many may not need more than the 300-mile range for much, but it would be nice to have extra range for a cross-country trip or a week of off-roading/backroading. I'd prefer not to carry the extra weight of the 400-mile pack on a daily basis, along with the small tradeoffs in storage necessitated by the Max Pack.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Totally agree, and that was my point. Since there’s already a DCFC in Jackson, I’d rather see Rivian put RAN chargers where there are currently no DCFC chargers.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If you follow this stuff you will probably have noticed that there is some rumbling about Tesla making the SC network available to other manufacturers. This does not, of course, mean that Rivian is one of those. I am not referring to repetition of the longs standing rumors that Elon has offered this to other OEMs but to newer rumblings that a couple have or are seriously considering, taking him up on this offer.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I wouldn't hate seeing some level 2s mixed in with lakeshore parking all the way up and down Chicago's Lake Michigan coastline. Ideally with some extra driver-side space for grilling from a tunnel kitchen.
IMO Level 2 chargers are, with vehicles like Rivian and Tesla trucks, pretty useless except at home in your garage. I was quite surprised to see that the RAN stations will include a couple. I suppose 11 kW of charging at a remote location is better than 0 kW but at a station with fast chargers? One 100 kW fast charger does the duty of 9 Level 2 chargers. Who will use the Level 2 chargers at a RAN station and what will they use them for?

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Agree! Hub destinations need spokes to get there, to use the wagon train metaphor.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
IMO Level 2 chargers are, with vehicles like Rivian and Tesla trucks, pretty useless except at home in your garage. I was quite surprised to see that the RAN stations will include a couple. I suppose 11 kW of charging at a remote location is better than 0 kW but at a station with fast chargers? One 100 kW fast charger does the duty of 9 Level 2 chargers. Who will use the Level 2 chargers at a RAN station and what will they use them for?
Think ski lot. Or trailhead access. They can take advantage of the fact that an adventure vehicle often gets you to a place where you get out of the car for an adventure. While it's sitting unused, it could be filling up on a cheap charger. An 8-hour excursion could be worth nearly 200 miles of range at 11kW. It makes way more sense than deploying 100kW chargers in these locations because the people are off in the woods and not available to move the car in an hour.

It's just a form of destination charging that's very on brand for them.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Think ski lot. Or trailhead access. They can take advantage of the fact that an adventure vehicle often gets you to a place where you get out of the car for an adventure. While it's sitting unused, it could be filling up on a cheap charger. An 8-hour excursion could be worth nearly 200 miles of range at 11kW. It makes way more sense than deploying 100kW chargers in these locations because the people are off in the woods and not available to move the car in an hour.

It's just a form of destination charging that's very on brand for them.
However, lots people park for a week and must charge relatively quickly when they return to get away. So I prefer a less than an hour charge and then I do not have to park at a charger at all though the all day charge works for some.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Gatlinburg, TN at the base of Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

We are in Escalante, Utah. Midway between Capital Reef and Bryce Canyon. Zion and Canyonlands/Arches are nearby (by our standards) There should be a high capacity charging station in each. We've switched to the SUV and will need to wait for the extended range or charging stations because over the 200-400 mile distances out here in the west.

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

Escalante, Utah
Bryce Canyon National Park