Sponsored

Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Perhaps they will surprise us with a partnership with Tesla?! That's what I'm hoping for otherwise I don't see how they are going to roll out a decent list of operational chargers before the end of 2021.
Having to carry around an adapter seems like a sub-optimal experience, imo.

I would also think you'd get harassed by the teslarati if they saw you plugged into a supercharger and they didn't know about the "deal".
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Having to carry around an adapter seems like a sub-optimal experience, imo.

I would also think you'd get harassed by the teslarati if they saw you plugged into a supercharger and they didn't know about the "deal".
Based on the location of the charge port on the R1S and R1T this would not be feasible. The Superchargers are setup for a charge port on the left rear of the vehicle. The cables are very short so unless the adapter was also an extension of 13 feet or so, you would not be able to plug in.

It would have worked when the charge port was on the right front but when they moved it to the left front that kind of kills this as a possibility.

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
This brings up a couple of interesting questions.
1) How many national parks have (enough) 3 phase 480 to support 200+ kW chargers?
None of the Joshua Tree campgrounds have electrical hookups, there are no restaurants or other operations that would need 480.
2) Can a private company put equipment in a National Park for the exclusive use of their customers and not the general public?

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
I agree, infrastructure could be a problem.
But Joshua Tree is is also a little town at the entrance to the park with Yucca Valley the next big town. An RAN in either place would serve a vast area of desert trails including Johnson Valley. I live in Pioneertown and being off grid I will be dependent on a power charger close by.
Tesla has a station in Springdale at the gate of Zion but the whole area between there and Green River is a white spot and the little towns in the heart of the Utah desert may not have lines to support a RAN. However, in some remote areas anything would be better than nothing, to make them accessible in a Riviainto consideration. Will takes that intonconsideration.

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
You may want to look at MT again. Thereā€™s no (non-Tesla) DCFC on I-90 westbound until you get to Bozeman (and both that one and the Dickinson, ND one are only 50kW). Thatā€™s over 400 miles, and with the way the wind blows on that stretch, you could easily lose 30% of range. Thereā€™s a 150kW charger in Butte, and then good coverage the rest of the way to Seattle, but the eastern part of MT is currently a black hole.
Totally - Meant to say that eastern MT is a charger desert. Looks like the RAN is fixing that!

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

This is an update to an earlier, pre-RAN-announcment posting to make a greater case for many areas not lucky enough to be addressed in the recent proclamation from Rivian. It now includes links to some of the areas in Central and Western Idaho, along with Northeastern Oregon. Some (but not all) of the coastal areas have fortunately been chosen for RAN units, but US95 and the deep heart of Idaho could use some attention. They scream Adventure!
  • Baker City, OR (Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Lewiston, ID (Nez Perce - Clearwater National Forests and US-12)
  • Denio, NV (Steens Mountain Wilderness and Alvord Desert)
  • Bend, OR (Deschutes National Forest)
  • Lakeview, OR (Intermediate connection to Eastern Oregon, Northeaster California, Northern Nevada)
  • John Day, OR (Malheur National Forest, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument)
  • Newport, OR (Oregon Coast)

I agree wholeheartedlywith your suggestions. I'd also love to see the RAN consider Brookings, Coos Bay, and Tillamook to open up the State and National Forests along the Oregon and NorCal Coast, as well as Burns and Jordan Valley to open up (and allow all to traverse) Central Oregon and the Owyhee basin, as well as reaching into SW Idaho and Northern Nevada.

In Idaho:

Stanley (possibly locate RAN station at Redfish Lake Lodge) would allow adventuring in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area as well as helping to traverse this underserved region.

Salmon to open up the River of No Return area as well as the Salmon-Challis National Forest.

FortyFiveNorthwoods said:
From an Oregon Perspective.
  • Joseph, OR (Wallowa - Whitman National Forest, Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Baker City, OR (Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area)
  • Lewiston, ID (Nez Perce - Clearwater National Forests and US-12)
  • Denio, NV (Steens Mountain Wilderness and Alvord Desert)
  • Bend, OR (Deschutes National Forest)
  • Lakeview, OR (Intermediate connection to Eastern Oregon, Northeaster California, Northern Nevada)
  • John Day, OR (Malheur National Forest, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument)
  • Newport, OR (Oregon Coast)
FortyFiveNorthwoods, Welcome to the Forum! Fellow Oregonian here.

I agree wholeheartedlywith your suggestions. I'd also love to see the RAN consider Brookings, Coos Bay, and Tillamook to open up the State and National Forests along the Oregon and NorCal Coast, as well as Burns and Jordan Valley to open up (and allow all to traverse) Central Oregon and the Owyhee basin, as well as reaching into SW Idaho and Northern Nevada.

In Idaho:

Stanley (possibly locate RAN station at Redfield Lake Lodge) would allow adventuring in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area as well as helping to traverse this underserved region.

Salmon to open up the River of No Return area as well as the Salmon-Challis National Forest.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnf/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5360033

McCall to get access to the Payette N.F. and the Idaho side of the Hells Canyon Natl. Rec. Area along the Snake River.

Lewiston to help access from the North to the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area in N.E. Oregon, and the wine country around Walla Walla, Washington. (Yes, its so good, they named it twice).

The combo of McCall and Lewiston would allow a corridor on US95 and connect I-84 to I-90. This type of shortcut has no other similar connecter for hundreds of miles to the East or West and it would open up some spectacular scenery.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wallowa-whitman/recarea/?recid=51359

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/wallowa-whitman/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=79468&actid=50

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Brigantine, NJ by the 4 wheel drive beach aka where my house is ?

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

Escalante is the logical location for Station. Midway between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks.

advan24r

First Name
Quincy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S60 Polestar Extended Range, Toyota Sienna,
Occupation
Self-employed
This corridor in Fremont right next to HWY 680 before the SUNOL GRADE would be so ideal since there's really no RAN in the South SF Bay Area. There's a Mcdonalds and even a Shell station right next to the freeway entrance.
Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations 1700259674524

Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations 1700259603451

advan24r

First Name
Quincy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S60 Polestar Extended Range, Toyota Sienna,
Occupation
Self-employed
I'm also surprised down the HWY 101 stretch from the SF Bay Area to Santa Barbara there's no RAN.
Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations 1700259793811

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Northern Colorado! Anywhere in the Loveland/ Fort Collins area is near highways and also on the way to Rocky Mountain National Park and all kinds of other popular mountain spots.

Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations IMG_0060

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Really old thread, not sure why we're reviving this, but the RAN plan has been publicly available for going on three years now (32 months to be precise).

The "coming soon" map only shows the stations currently in progress and "coming soon". It does not show all the planned stations.

Escalante is the logical location for Station. Midway between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks.
Escalante has been on the map since it was first published in March 2021.

This corridor in Fremont right next to HWY 680 before the SUNOL GRADE would be so ideal since there's really no RAN in the South SF Bay Area.
Freemont, Hayward, Livermore, San Jose, Palo Alto are all on the map.

I'm also surprised down the HWY 101 stretch from the SF Bay Area to Santa Barbara there's no RAN.
Santa Barbara, Solvang, Los Alamos, San Luis Obispo, Templeton, King City, Salinas and Gilroy are all on the map along 101.

Northern Colorado! Anywhere in the Loveland/ Fort Collins area is near highways and also on the way to Rocky Mountain National Park and all kinds of other popular mountain spots.
Fort Collins and Estes Park have been on the map since it was first published in March 2021.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Really old thread, not sure why we're reviving this, but the RAN plan has been publicly available for going on three years now (32 months to be precise).

The "coming soon" map only shows the stations currently in progress and "coming soon". It does not show all the planned stations.

Escalante has been on the map since it was first published in March 2021.

Freemont, Hayward, Livermore, San Jose, Palo Alto are all on the map.

Santa Barbara, Solvang, Los Alamos, San Luis Obispo, Templeton, King City, Salinas and Gilroy are all on the map along 101.

Fort Collins and Estes Park have been on the map since it was first published in March 2021.
Which map are you looking at? šŸ§

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The full plan unveiled in March 2021 can still be found at https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-stations-locations-map-via-google-maps.1721/ or by using google or the way back machine.

Rivian switched their site to just display the "coming soon" locations back in early Dec 2022 to help manage expectations over build location priorities and timelines. Or as I see it, because people were spending too much time complaining about how THEIR proposed location should be built before someone else's proposed location on account of how much more "adventurous" they were.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The full plan unveiled in March 2021 can still be found at https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-stations-locations-map-via-google-maps.1721/ or by using google or the way back machine.

Rivian switched their site to just display the "coming soon" locations back in early Dec 2022 to help manage expectations over build location priorities and timelines. Or as I see it, because people were spending too much time complaining about how THEIR proposed location should be built before someone else's proposed location on account of how much more "adventurous" they were.
Thank you! I have seen that thread but for some reason never opened it. It doesnā€™t show anything in Northern CO at all though :confused:
Sponsored