Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Going to try and escape winter for awhile and take the travel trailer to Southern California, maybe end up at king of the hammers.
I’ve towed the trailer around oregon with great success, but this is going to get me near the edge of my comfort zone. My plan is to do my best to charge as close to 100% as I can at night at rv parks and I’m going to be happy with 250-300 miles a day. So yes this is going to be a very leisurely trip.
Of course I’m going to be using RAN as much as possible but if anybody knows of any other trailer friendly charging locations I would appreciate the tip. Also looking for EV friendly RV parks.
Thanks in advance to the community, and I will post up my successes and failures.
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Presume you also have a good DIY tire change kit and tools for both the Rivian and your TT? Aftermarket jacks, pucks, cordless impact drill, bits, chocks, etc can go a long way.

Sorry if this is redundant, but any longer distance towing can get stressful and having a proper kit even if not needed helps reduce the pucker factor as much as the charging setup.

Have a great trip, sounds cool.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Rivian Adventure Network in Cascade and Klamath Falls in Oregon have drive through charging for those with trailers. Mount Shasta in California also has a trailer friendly drive through charging station.

The Willows Electrify America at the Walmart does NOT have trailer friendly charging stations.

I haven’t used the RAN at Manteca, but PlugShare has a photo of one station that appears to be drive through

This photo is the Electrify America station at Willows

Rivian R1T R1S Winter towing PNW to SoCal any advice or suggestions IMG_1375

Last edited:

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

KOH is cold this time of year but the sun has been out lately. Pretty much Yucca Valley or Victorville are the only places to charge.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Presume you also have a good DIY tire change kit and tools for both the Rivian and your TT? Aftermarket jacks, pucks, cordless impact drill, bits, chocks, etc can go a long way.

Sorry if this is redundant, but any longer distance towing can get stressful and having a proper kit even if not needed helps reduce the pucker factor as much as the charging setup.

Have a great trip, sounds cool.
Thanks. I have that stuff taken care of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

KOH is cold this time of year but the sun has been out lately. Pretty much Yucca Valley or Victorville are the only places to charge.
I’m going to hope for the best when it comes to the weather. It should at least be better than northern Oregon. If it’s bad I will spend more time inside the trailer and wait it out. I’ve never been to KOH and I don’t plan on staying there at hammertown. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a quite spot within a half hour or so.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

One of my employees was there this week with his side by side and motorcycles and had a great time. I think he camped with his trailer despite living in Hesperia. Last time I was there it was with our trailer. Tent camping really sucks on that lakebed. Very open and exposed.

If you stay in Victorville, Spring Valley Lake is likely the nicest RV campground.
https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/california/victorville/mojave-narrows-regional-park-502
I'm not familiar with Yucca Valley but Lucerne is basically a supermarket and you might as well camp on the dry lake. Big Bear is also half an hour but it's at 7000 ft and most of the campgrounds are closed in the winter. We sometimes struggle to get up our 1/2 mile dirt driveway with the snow.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

One of my employees was there this week with his side by side and motorcycles and had a great time. I think he camped with his trailer despite living in Hesperia. Last time I was there it was with our trailer. Tent camping really sucks on that lakebed. Very open and exposed.

If you stay in Victorville, Spring Valley Lake is likely the nicest RV campground.
https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/california/victorville/mojave-narrows-regional-park-502
I'm not familiar with Yucca Valley but Lucerne is basically a supermarket and you might as well camp on the dry lake. Big Bear is also half an hour but it's at 7000 ft and most of the campgrounds are closed in the winter. We sometimes struggle to get up our 1/2 mile dirt driveway with the snow.
Thanks for the info about spring valley lake. I’m not sure what kind of camping I will do when I get there. On one hand an rv park would be great for the charging at night, but the trailer is self sufficient with solar and it would be fun to dry camp far from others.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You're not that far from charging stations. 10% (20% with trailer) could get you too one so maybe brave the sand storm. Lots of nicer places in the Mojave desert than the hammers though.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

You're not that far from charging stations. 10% (20% with trailer) could get you too one so maybe brave the sand storm. Lots of nicer places in the Mojave desert than the hammers though.
That’s gonna be a the fun of this trip, if I don’t like what I see I’ll just move on. I love Joshua tree.

Sponsored

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
Going to try and escape winter for awhile and take the travel trailer to Southern California, maybe end up at king of the hammers.
I’ve towed the trailer around oregon with great success, but this is going to get me near the edge of my comfort zone. My plan is to do my best to charge as close to 100% as I can at night at rv parks and I’m going to be happy with 250-300 miles a day. So yes this is going to be a very leisurely trip.
Of course I’m going to be using RAN as much as possible but if anybody knows of any other trailer friendly charging locations I would appreciate the tip. Also looking for EV friendly RV parks.
Thanks in advance to the community, and I will post up my successes and failures.
Go for it! See my recent post on our current towing adventure. As far as charging at RV Parks, I’ve found that most haven’t thought through it. KOA flatly prohibits charging, with a ridiculous bulletin full of misinformation. We’ve charged at commercial parks, State and City/County Parks, and one National Park thus far without issues. I use a TT30 adapter when that rate will be adequate, or the NEMA-50 if needed. Not many charging stations are trailer friendly, but the front left charge port on the R1T allows us to angle in nicely at most locations without blocking lanes. Other people charging have been most cooperative and friendly.

ps: I did buy a 25’ 30A extension which has bee very useful in campgrounds.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Go for it! See my recent post on our current towing adventure. As far as charging at RV Parks, I’ve found that most haven’t thought through it. KOA flatly prohibits charging, with a ridiculous bulletin full of misinformation. We’ve charged at commercial parks, State and City/County Parks, and one National Park thus far without issues. I use a TT30 adapter when that rate will be adequate, or the NEMA-50 if needed. Not many charging stations are trailer friendly, but the front left charge port on the R1T allows us to angle in nicely at most locations without blocking lanes. Other people charging have been most cooperative and friendly.

ps: I did buy a 25’ 30A extension which has bee very useful in campgrounds.
I've found the koa is basically unenforced except in a few campgrounds, as long as you plug into your trailer and don't take two plugs. Some might get picky about it though.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

FYI a tt30 gives about 5mph at 24A 2.5kwh and I can get about 25% additional charge overnight.
Rivian R1T R1S Winter towing PNW to SoCal any advice or suggestions 20240104_182030

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I do have the adapter, but I’m going to try for 50 amp spots. I will always try and have a fast charger within range for backup in case the campground says NO.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Right now the forecast for my departure date looks pretty sketchy. Supposed to leave Friday and go over siskyou pass Saturday. I might have to push out departure a couple days.
Rivian R1T R1S Winter towing PNW to SoCal any advice or suggestions B260ECB6-7FDA-4782-A8ED-B400CF325C09
Sponsored