First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I have a cabin in the woods on a paved state highway in Washington. Last year they "chipped it", it added stupid unneeded gravel with oil. It took a couple of months before those rocks went away. I got hit 3 times. I'm glad I didn't get it immediately fixed. I had two thoughts without any evidence. One, the airflow seems to head straight for the right lower half of the window. That's where all 3 of mine hit. Second, I was quite surprised how badly a crack I got. I got a strke just below your blocked out blue registration sticker, and that's the one that made a crack go around 1/4 of the way across my window. I wish I had some kind of dynamic air dam that could come down like some trucks have the diverts air flow over the car (and this would lower mileage too).
Sponsored

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T - El Cap Granite
End result of all this was windshield replacement by SC directly. Took about two weeks for it to come in and a few days to install it. I had to pay out of pocket approximately $1800 and was reimbursed (minus the deductible) by my insurance company once I submitted the paid invoice from Rivian.

Glad it was resolved, but it was a bit of a hassle to get everything situated. Just know ahead of time that you will likely have to pay Rivian directly as they do not deal with insurance in this case.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

First, you get the Fu.
Then, you get the Yao.
THEN, you get the crack.

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracked - hit by a rock on the highway 1684982794122

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
If you look closely at the right angle and in the right light you will notice very small micro-defects in the glass. I imagine that if a rock hits at or near one of these it will result in a cracked windshield.

MooreND23

First Name
MicHael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Yukon Denali XL, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Physician
Clubs

January ski trip in bend. Some jerk passes me and cuts me off close and sends a rock right at me. Large bullseye right in my view. Submitted a claim, $100 deductible. 4 months to get a new windshield. Never cracked but very obvious and distracting. $1800+ for new one. Still haven’t gotten an insurance refund yet and this happened today! 4 days later!
Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracked - hit by a rock on the highway 466B7782-F530-4525-B023-6A1151A59F4D

Sponsored

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
January ski trip in bend. Some jerk passes me and cuts me off close and sends a rock right at me. Large bullseye right in my view. Submitted a claim, $100 deductible. 4 months to get a new windshield. Never cracked but very obvious and distracting. $1800+ for new one. Still haven’t gotten an insurance refund yet and this happened today! 4 days later!
466B7782-F530-4525-B023-6A1151A59F4D.jpeg
Unbelievable! Insurance takes incredibly long to reimburse. Hope the check comes soon. Is there some sort of claim warranty I wonder? Within a certain period of time...

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

That's good to know, but unfortunate. Not worth shelling out another $600-700 for film (at least that was the quote of a friend's model Y), when deductible might be lower. Definitely a disappointment.
If it could actually prevent windshield damage, as opposed to lower the risk of damage, it might be worth it (even though I do have glass coverage). But I am sure that it is more in the lower the risk category, as opposed to prevent all damage.
On top of that, I have seen several posts where people have said that the protection film is easily scratched. I have also seen that mfrs or installers have recommended switching to silicone (I think) wiper blades to minimize damage to the film, but that even that is not enough.

Edit: there are at least three brands of windshield protection film. I assume there are differences, and that some may work better than others. But I also assume that each of them is more easily scratched than the glass.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Op that sucks! I got a small speck the very next day of ownership. 😭 At this point I’ve told myself it’s just a windshield and it will crack at some point. I drive approx 137 miles round trip to work daily. I recommend just getting it filled and stop it from growing.

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Op that sucks! I got a small speck the very next day of ownership. 😭 At this point I’ve told myself it’s just a windshield and it will crack at some point. I drive approx 137 miles round trip to work daily. I recommend just getting it filled and stop it from growing.
I guess I need to figure out how to get a zero deductible glass replacement policy in the long-run.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I guess I need to figure out how to get a zero deductible glass replacement policy in the long-run.
I reached out to my insurance company which is through Costco and they have no policy for windshield. It would be considered a claim plus deductible but their insurance is definitely a lot more affordable.

Sponsored

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I recently faced a cracked windshield situation as well, and I understand the frustration that comes with it. In my case, I decided to explore alternative options before going for a full windshield replacement. I discovered the https://crackeraser.com/products/crack-repair-upgrade-kit , which turned out to be a game-changer. This DIY kit allowed me to repair the crack in my windshield effectively, saving me both time and money. It might be worth considering as a potential solution for your situation. However, if you prefer a professional replacement, it's essential to prioritize your safety and go with the scheduled appointment. It's always helpful to hear from others who have been through a similar experience, so I hope you find additional insights and recommendations from the community.
As long as you have glass coverage on your insurance, getting the replacement seems like a much better option than trying to repair it (and hoping that works) with an $800 kit.
FYI - if you (or a family member) has AAA, the "Premier" plan offers $45 chip repair via Safelite ($100+ off) for repairing up to 3 chips / cracks in a single visit. May still be better options through insurance, but throwing that out there in case it's helpful to you or anyone else.

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracked - hit by a rock on the highway 1687537284899

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracked - hit by a rock on the highway 1687537303997

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Two plus weeks of ownership and my windshield was chipped this morning by a rock thrown by a lifted jeep on the interstate. Insurance company has Safelite mobile coming next week to do the repair. If a new windshield is needed they will pay for Rivian to replace it.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
yes, people here have done it..... it doesn't seem to help.
With enough force, everything breaks. What ExoShield does is to lessen chances of chipping/cracking. It doesn’t make it 100% failure proof. Short of putting up a metal barrier, nothing can make the windshield 100% failure proof.

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Two plus weeks of ownership and my windshield was chipped this morning by a rock thrown by a lifted jeep on the interstate. Insurance company has Safelite mobile coming next week to do the repair. If a new windshield is needed they will pay for Rivian to replace it.
Hopefully it’s something they can patch quickly and there’s no need for replacement given the backlog of SC appointments.

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Just had mine replaced. Hit a few rocks. Paid Rivian $1200. IT is at the detail shop getting tinted again.
Sponsored