Sponsored

Windshield cracked - hit by a rock on the highway

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T - El Cap Granite
This unfortunately happened earlier in the week. Cracked windshield and now in need of replacement.

Made an SC appointment, but apparently they cannot get the windshield in until 4/29. Appointment is for the week after that. Made a claim with insurance and will likely have to pay only the deductible. Rivian work estimate for windshield replacement is $1700.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracked - hit by a rock on the highway E8C95FB0-298F-4F76-B874-5A1F774224C5
Sponsored

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
So many have perished…

I wish we could have the statistics on just how many windshields have been replaced.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
This unfortunately happened earlier in the week. Cracked windshield and now in need of replacement.

Made an SC appointment, but apparently they cannot get the windshield in until 4/29. Appointment is for the week after that. Made a claim with insurance and will likely have to pay only the deductible. Rivian work estimate for windshield replacement is $1700.

E8C95FB0-298F-4F76-B874-5A1F774224C5.jpeg
Got a big ole bullseye the other day but was repairable. ALL three of our daily drivers got nailed this winter over the course of 2 weeks. It was maddening. Luckily I live in a $0 deductible glass state!

BTW the RainX glass repair kit works great. I had no expectations it would and was pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

E8C95FB0-298F-4F76-B874-5A1F774224C5.jpeg
So many have perished…

I wish we could have the statistics on just how many windshields have been replaced.
Definitely! That would be great to have. My luck ran out after 6 months of ownership.

This was my second rock on this windshield. The first one left a very small mark that I was willing to live with. This one - not so much…

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Honestly, this stuff just happens ESPECIALLY here in Colorado. I get 1 rock chip at least pretty much every trip I take to the mountains. Got 3 on my Explorer on the way back from Steamboat at the end of March. My 2 week old R1T got a chip coming back from Winter Park a few weeks ago.

No cracks yet, that's a pretty direct hit. I am considering adding the glass coverage to my insurance for this very reason. $1700 is STEEP for a windshield.

Sponsored

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Got a big ole bullseye the other day but was repairable. ALL three of our daily drivers got nailed this winter over the course of 2 weeks. It was maddening. Luckily I live in a $0 deductible glass state!

BTW the RainX glass repair kit works great. I had no expectations it would and was pleasantly surprised.
Wow! That’s very maddening to say the least. I’ve never heard of a zero deductible glass state - that’s super helpful.

Thanks for the rainx repair suggestion. I think I have one somewhere in the garage from a couple years ago.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Wow! That’s very maddening to say the least. I’ve never heard of a zero deductible glass state - that’s super helpful.

Thanks for the rainx repair suggestion. I think I have one somewhere in the garage from a couple years ago.
I didn't get the long crack like you but the bullseye was just as big. The rainx reduced it to barely noticeable and hasn't cracked yet. A month now. When or if it does, then I'll call Rivian for a replacement.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’ve never heard of a zero deductible glass state - that’s super helpful.
Florida, South Carolina, apparently Minnesota too? And...

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Florida, South Carolina, apparently Minnesota too? And...
Learned something new, thanks!

I hope I will just have to pay my deductible and no dispute between insurance and Rivian on the total cost.

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I didn't get the long crack like you but the bullseye was just as big. The rainx reduced it to barely noticeable and hasn't cracked yet. A month now. When or if it does, then I'll call Rivian for a replacement.
Glad to hear that. Mine didn’t have the long crack initially, but it showed up today all of a sudden. Briefly thought about repair for today, until this became much more prominent.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Has anyone tried installing a windshield protection film, such as ExoShield?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anyone tried installing a windshield protection film, such as ExoShield?
yes, people here have done it..... it doesn't seem to help.

Ryan1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 Subaru Impreza
Clubs

I took a chip on a business trip the other day, didn't think it had spidered yet, and then safelite got here for the repair. Guess I'm putting a ticket in, and we'll see who is able to get a new windshield quicker, safelite or the service location.

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes, people here have done it..... it doesn't seem to help.
That's good to know, but unfortunate. Not worth shelling out another $600-700 for film (at least that was the quote of a friend's model Y), when deductible might be lower. Definitely a disappointment.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Had mine replaced about a month ago, same quote around $1800 bucks. They also need to replace a heater element film that keeps the camera from fogging up and calibrate the camera after installation. Rocks suck.
Sponsored