Windows make lots of sound (groaning) and not smooth

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
It seems all of my windows have some issue when rolling down, either making loud groaning sounds (probably some issue with seal), or very un-smooth bumpy noises like the gears or motor is all messed up. Anyone else experience this? I hesitate to open another ticket, wondering if I'm just not 'pressing the down button' correctly???
-Tony
Sponsored

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mine do a low rub but nothing gear grinding
Door handles and steering column make a rubbing sound also
Going to SC next week for a tire rotation and they are scheduled to check it all

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine work super smooth, so I believe something is not right with yours. Just for reference.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My passenger window rubs on the way down, none of the other ones do. I suspect a quick shot of silicone lubricant should fix it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Grinding, crunching and popping is a symptom of a failing window regulator. It's a system of a cable, guides and pulleys that raise and lower the window. It would be quite odd for all of them to be bad on a new vehicle. 🤔 You might want to open a ticket to get it on record, if nothing else.

This video shows typical noises.

Rivian R1T R1S Windows make lots of sound (groaning) and not smooth 1678968290090

Sponsored

BuzzL8ghtYears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
It seems all of my windows have some issue when rolling down, either making loud groaning sounds (probably some issue with seal), or very un-smooth bumpy noises like the gears or motor is all messed up. Anyone else experience this? I hesitate to open another ticket, wondering if I'm just not 'pressing the down button' correctly???
-Tony
same occurs with mine. SC told me to just occasionally clean it more often and it goes away.

OP
OP

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the suggestions. This morning, they were a little smoother, maybe due to the dew/moisture on the windows. I forgot to describe that front wondows have a herky/jerky kind of motion going down almost like something stuck. I'll do some cleaning and try the lubricant idea. I happen to have some that I use for sliding windows.

OP
OP

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forgot to update this thread... So service advisor said I need to regularly clean the rubber felt seal at the bottom of the window. All the windows worked perfect when I got my car back., but only lasted about 2-3 days before the all the same noises came back again.. :rolleyes:.

Also, my loaner while car was in service had exactly the same issue on all the windows, and even the same rear driver side made the identical loud groaning sound just like mine. I guess it's a mfg or design tolerance issue. I've got some RZ-50 dry film lube, so going to give that a try...

Last edited:

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Took my R1S in for service at my neighbors house (he's a tech durability engineer at Rivian).. 😀 Had a little of the moaning left rear. He said he had never seen the moaning issue on any of the 100s R1s he has driven, but had heard of it with the the large windows on the EDVs. The noise was coming from the center seal. Says they are made with a molded in metal u-channel to keep tension on the glass as it passes. Solution for the edvs was a special lubricant. Once the seal wore in, it was never a recurring problem. Solution on mine was cleaning the seal with microfiber cloth. We also cleaned the window (a lot of pollen dropping that day). One minute fix and never had the problem again. In my case, the window never functioned any different than the rest or strained under opening or closing. Just a slight moan. I also do remember having that on my older F150 when it sat for long periods of time, so not unheard of.

OP
OP

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I could tell it's the seal issue, so I'm not that worried about it. It seems the seal is getting caught by the glass and the non-felt outer part of the rubber seal is chattering on the glass as it's sliding down. Also notcied if I press slightly on the outer body panel, it keeps the felt part of the seal against the window and the noise goes away.. I'm trying the PTFE lube to see if it can help, but, okay I"ll retry the wipe method if lube still fails..

Sponsored

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
-Tony
Same and I put a ticket in for a service appointment

timmmmeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 23 MY
My rear left window does the same thing when going down. Interestingly, the R1S that I drove during my first mile drive did the exact same thing. Both with ONLY the rear left window making the sound. What a coincidence.

I have an appointment on the 26th to take a look at it, along with wind noise near driver side window, and rattling in the front dash, front passenger door, and subwoofer area.
Sponsored