Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Interesting. I have a completely different fit. On my truck, the rails beside the glass are higher than the front trim piece and, I suspect, responsible for some noise.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel 07887D77-D434-452C-BE78-B6D41529684F
Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I have upper A piller wind noise on both passenger and driver side, my rails are also higher than the metal trim. Not sure if this is the cause and will wait for SC to troubleshoot. Edit: Looks like plastic, and I can kind of pull mine "up" so may be possible to shove in some foam to get back into place. Again, will let SC try to fix first.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel PXL_20220806_190955815

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel PXL_20220806_190839852.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel PXL_20220806_191040013.MP

Last edited:

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I have an appointment next week and wind noise is one of the issues. I will have them check this. thanks.

r1tshivermetimbers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just wanted to post an update in case this helps anyone else with the same wind noise issues that I had.

For clarity, my wind noise was NOT coming from the side triangle window areas, like most people seem to be dealing with.

My wind noise was very loud at speeds of 60+, and was generally located near the top of the windshield, and/or leading edge of the glass roof. Last time truck was in for service, the guys confirmed that it seemed a bit louder than it should be, and agreed to try and fix it.

THE FIX: Service determined that the small painted body panel (they called it an "applique") that sits between the windshield and the roof glass was very slightly deformed. That piece is attached by only being "glued" on, and the presumption is that whoever or whatever installed it pressed down too hard, which made the trailing edge of the applique sit too low, and was causing the front lip of the glass roof to catch wind at speed.

Service ordered a replacement applique, and had it painted to match my truck upon receiving it. They tore off the old one and replaced it yesterday, and the difference is night and day. The newly installed one sits almost exactly in alignment with the roof glass now, which is maybe a mm or 2 higher than the old one. Wind noise is now completely eliminated, and the truck is significantly quieter at speed.

If anyone else is dealing with wind noise similar to mine, take a look at where the applique meets the glass roof to see if it is sitting too low. I'll post a photo of my replaced panel later today (I unfortunately did not grab a 'before' picture). A properly installed one should sit exactly at, or slightly above, the glass roof leading edge.
Hi,

Do you have photos before the fix? Sharing mine.
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9461
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9462
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9456
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9454
Sharing mine.

I have my truck at the SC this week for a few things:

1. Alignment and balancing
2. PPF peeling off on both gear tunnel
3. Camp speaker not removable (is stuck)
4. Power tonneau jammed
5. Driver side, rear passenger door not aligned
6. Wind noise above 60mph+

I read your posting and assumed it's the same cause for my truck. Advisor called today and said that they compared my truck with others at service, and is actually ok and not as bad as some other trucks. The advisor also said that they can't guarantee if they will be making it better or worse. And removing existing applique means reapplying the epoxy and that it may end up being the same, and may cause water leaks.

I took their advice and see what they can do to reduce wind noise without changing the applique for now. If the noise persist, I was informed that I can submit another request and have the applique changed.

Btw, they estimate the fix for other items will take this whole week. They arranged for a rental via Enterprise.

Last edited:

r1tshivermetimbers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have upper A piller wind noise on both passenger and driver side, my rails are also higher than the metal trim. Not sure if this is the cause and will wait for SC to troubleshoot. Edit: Looks like plastic, and I can kind of pull mine "up" so may be possible to shove in some foam to get back into place. Again, will let SC try to fix first.

PXL_20220806_190955815.jpg

PXL_20220806_190839852.MP.jpg

PXL_20220806_191040013.MP.jpg
We have very similar case. See my posting and photos just before this.

Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
My rails are also higher than the trim. I have asked for an opinion from Rivian; so far no answer.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Just wanted to post an update in case this helps anyone else with the same wind noise issues that I had.

For clarity, my wind noise was NOT coming from the side triangle window areas, like most people seem to be dealing with.

My wind noise was very loud at speeds of 60+, and was generally located near the top of the windshield, and/or leading edge of the glass roof. Last time truck was in for service, the guys confirmed that it seemed a bit louder than it should be, and agreed to try and fix it.

THE FIX: Service determined that the small painted body panel (they called it an "applique") that sits between the windshield and the roof glass was very slightly deformed. That piece is attached by only being "glued" on, and the presumption is that whoever or whatever installed it pressed down too hard, which made the trailing edge of the applique sit too low, and was causing the front lip of the glass roof to catch wind at speed.

Service ordered a replacement applique, and had it painted to match my truck upon receiving it. They tore off the old one and replaced it yesterday, and the difference is night and day. The newly installed one sits almost exactly in alignment with the roof glass now, which is maybe a mm or 2 higher than the old one. Wind noise is now completely eliminated, and the truck is significantly quieter at speed.

If anyone else is dealing with wind noise similar to mine, take a look at where the applique meets the glass roof to see if it is sitting too low. I'll post a photo of my replaced panel later today (I unfortunately did not grab a 'before' picture). A properly installed one should sit exactly at, or slightly above, the glass roof leading edge.
This is excellent information. I noted this during my delivery inspection (passenger side panel between roof glass and windshield is deformed downwards at the corner by about an inch) and told them I'd revisit it the first time I need service. I have noticed I get a bit of wind noise picking up at 60+ but didn't think too much of it (compared to my Defender the R1T is silent lol).

I'm going to file a service request tomorrow to get this resolved for me and hopefully that'll make all the wind noise vanish, since I don't have any issues with my seals. Thanks for posting this!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
This is why I love car forums. Everyone shares problems, solutions, root causes, service center fixes, tips, etc.

I see a trend of R1T builds slowly dropping some of the early build bugs. It's one of the bonuses for my group who are patiently waiting on Ocean Coast interiors to start production. Fall is right around the corner!

Sunfarmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have wind noise, but not sure if it’s a problem. The truck is still significantly quieter than my diesel.

I would love to find someone in SoCal that doesn’t have a wind noise problem and ride in my truck.
I also have noticed some wind noise, but don’t perceive it as an issue. Checked decibel level with phone app and get a 72db reading at 75 mph interstate driving. Curious what decibel level other people are observing?

Sponsored

r1tshivermetimbers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi,

Do you have photos before the fix? Sharing mine.
IMG_9461.jpg
IMG_9462.jpg
IMG_9456.jpg
IMG_9454.jpg
Sharing mine.

I have my truck at the SC this week for a few things:

1. Alignment and balancing
2. PPF peeling off on both gear tunnel
3. Camp speaker not removable (is stuck)
4. Power tonneau jammed
5. Driver side, rear passenger door not aligned
6. Wind noise above 60mph+

I read your posting and assumed it's the same cause for my truck. Advisor called today and said that they compared my truck with others at service, and is actually ok and not as bad as some other trucks. The advisor also said that they can't guarantee if they will be making it better or worse. And removing existing applique means reapplying the epoxy and that it may end up being the same, and may cause water leaks.

I took their advice and see what they can do to reduce wind noise without changing the applique for now. If the noise persist, I was informed that I can submit another request and have the applique changed.

Btw, they estimate the fix for other items will take this whole week. They arranged for a rental via Enterprise.
Got the truck back today (2 weeks at SC).

The appliqué is now aligned with the glass roof. Noise is noticeably less but I think I still need to get Rivian to resolve the wind noise from the triangle windows.

@dduffey - hope this helps.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9631

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9633

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9632

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel IMG_9630

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales

The appliqué is now aligned with the glass roof. Noise is noticeably less but I think I still need to get Rivian to resolve the wind noise from the triangle windows.

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg
Looks like they did a great job to align everything, congrats.

Jamlank

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma

IMG_9631.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg
Any idea What the problem was with the camp speaker? Mine is stuck too. I have a service ticket open but haven’t heard from them yet?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Any idea What the problem was with the camp speaker? Mine is stuck too. I have a service ticket open but haven’t heard from them yet?
Look in settings tab under Camp Speaker. I believe there is a lock/unlock function. I had to do something in there after the last update to get it to unlock to remove.

r1tshivermetimbers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
SC technician said latch was broken and it appears that this is a known issue for some of the trucks.
Sponsored