Sponsored

Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just wanted to post an update in case this helps anyone else with the same wind noise issues that I had.

For clarity, my wind noise was NOT coming from the side triangle window areas, like most people seem to be dealing with.

My wind noise was very loud at speeds of 60+, and was generally located near the top of the windshield, and/or leading edge of the glass roof. Last time truck was in for service, the guys confirmed that it seemed a bit louder than it should be, and agreed to try and fix it.

THE FIX: Service determined that the small painted body panel (they called it an "applique") that sits between the windshield and the roof glass was very slightly deformed. That piece is attached by only being "glued" on, and the presumption is that whoever or whatever installed it pressed down too hard, which made the trailing edge of the applique sit too low, and was causing the front lip of the glass roof to catch wind at speed.

Service ordered a replacement applique, and had it painted to match my truck upon receiving it. They tore off the old one and replaced it yesterday, and the difference is night and day. The newly installed one sits almost exactly in alignment with the roof glass now, which is maybe a mm or 2 higher than the old one. Wind noise is now completely eliminated, and the truck is significantly quieter at speed.

If anyone else is dealing with wind noise similar to mine, take a look at where the applique meets the glass roof to see if it is sitting too low. I'll post a photo of my replaced panel later today (I unfortunately did not grab a 'before' picture). A properly installed one should sit exactly at, or slightly above, the glass roof leading edge.
Sponsored

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military
My issue was resolved as well when service found that the driver side window had been incorrectly installed. Ended up not being the triangle glass either.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Thanks for the heads up on this. Probably starting to be incorporated into the assembly QC, I'd wager.
When I first heard of this, I assumed it was a window gasketing issue.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
I just got mine fixed as well. Mine was the passenger side and they had assumed it was the triangle glass but I had already explained to them that was not my issue. On mine it was the weather stripping piece was cut wrong and causing the plastic piece to then not be flush. But now it is perfect. Drove down I-85 at 80 mph, turned off the AC and radio and it was almost dead silent.

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just wanted to post an update in case this helps anyone else with the same wind noise issues that I had.

For clarity, my wind noise was NOT coming from the side triangle window areas, like most people seem to be dealing with.

My wind noise was very loud at speeds of 60+, and was generally located near the top of the windshield, and/or leading edge of the glass roof. Last time truck was in for service, the guys confirmed that it seemed a bit louder than it should be, and agreed to try and fix it.

THE FIX: Service determined that the small painted body panel (they called it an "applique") that sits between the windshield and the roof glass was very slightly deformed. That piece is attached by only being "glued" on, and the presumption is that whoever or whatever installed it pressed down too hard, which made the trailing edge of the applique sit too low, and was causing the front lip of the glass roof to catch wind at speed.

Service ordered a replacement applique, and had it painted to match my truck upon receiving it. They tore off the old one and replaced it yesterday, and the difference is night and day. The newly installed one sits almost exactly in alignment with the roof glass now, which is maybe a mm or 2 higher than the old one. Wind noise is now completely eliminated, and the truck is significantly quieter at speed.

If anyone else is dealing with wind noise similar to mine, take a look at where the applique meets the glass roof to see if it is sitting too low. I'll post a photo of my replaced panel later today (I unfortunately did not grab a 'before' picture). A properly installed one should sit exactly at, or slightly above, the glass roof leading edge.
Oh glad to hear this, I'm having the same issue. Service coming out Monday to diagnose, but it's 100% this issue. Glad to hear there is an easy fix

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel PXL_20220719_163432794

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Sounds like all of you must be driving too fast.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Oh glad to hear this, I'm having the same issue. Service coming out Monday to diagnose, but it's 100% this issue. Glad to hear there is an easy fix
Yes, exactly how mine looked, except it was on both sides.

Here's how it looks after the fix:
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel 20220722_090636
Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel 20220722_090645

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, exactly how mine looked, except it was on both sides.

Here's how it looks after the fix:
20220722_090636.jpg
20220722_090645.jpg
Was yours like this or worse? I have mild wind noise but seems it the triangle window

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise Issue Resolved on My Truck. Culprit: deformed body panel 8585097F-8B22-4667-85FE-2754A3C01011

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Was yours like this or worse? I have mild wind noise but seems it the triangle window

8585097F-8B22-4667-85FE-2754A3C01011.jpeg
Mine was definitely worse than yours. I'd say it was sitting at least 1mm lower in 2 different areas.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I just got mine back and it is the second time they replaced the triangular windows. It is also the second time it really didn't help. I am going to start taping off sections and testing what reduces the noise.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
I just got mine back and it is the second time they replaced the triangular windows. It is also the second time it really didn't help. I am going to start taping off sections and testing what reduces the noise.

That is what the ATL service team did on mine. They taped it and drove down the road and made notes. But it was also very clear just to the eyes that the weather stripping causing the plastic piece running along the side was not flush.

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

How long did it take for Rivian to resolve this issue? I ask because I'm dropping off my truck at our service center on 8/1/22 for the same issue (excessive wind noise on the driver side) and one other minor thing. Hopefully won't be without my baby for long.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
ATL SC said my wind noise was normal for a truck. In comparison, my Winnebago View with a Mercedes chassis is silent in comparison, and it is a truck too. Nothing was offered to fix my "non-problem."

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
How long did it take for Rivian to resolve this issue? I ask because I'm dropping off my truck at our service center on 8/1/22 for the same issue (excessive wind noise on the driver side) and one other minor thing. Hopefully won't be without my baby for long.
It was 2 separate appointments. The first one diagnosed the issue. They then ordered the part, and once it arrived, sent it out to have it painted to match my truck. Took a couple of weeks for that process.
2nd appointment was the installation, which was a same day turnaround.