Will we get a browser?

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I'd like to play google stadia while I wait an hour to fuel up. The burn of 400V architecture could easily be remedied by allowing me to destroy n00bs in PUBG while I wait.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I suspect - NO.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Tesla has one. I don't see why they wouldn't include that in a Rivian. I know they want a closed ecosystem so that they can maximize recurring service fees, but if they're not going to support Apple Music, or Netflix, etc for awhile, that would be a nice compromise, IMO.

OP
OP

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla has one. I don't see why they wouldn't include that in a Rivian. I know they want a closed ecosystem so that they can maximize recurring service fees, but if they're not going to support Apple Music, or Netflix, etc for awhile, that would be a nice compromise, IMO.
It had made my polestar even more weird and cute and Iā€™m becoming quite enamored.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is funny, I was thinking Tesla has one, not sure why Rivian would waste time adding one. Other than pulling it up when I first got the Tesla and was checking things out. I have never found a need to open the browser, I always use my phone or iPad instead.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is funny, I was thinking Tesla has one, not sure why Rivian would waste time adding one. Other than pulling it up when I first got the Tesla and was checking things out. I have never found a need to open the browser, I always use my phone or iPad instead.
Itā€™s a super easy way to add compatibility for a lot of web apps without having to build native versions. Just allow full screen mode and boom, Netflix. I use it on my polestar for weather when Iā€™m sitting at stoplights too.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Tesla has one that is so bad I use my phone or my iPad instead of using it. I do occasionally use the Netflix app sitting at a charger though.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
The killer app Rivian needs to be able to use is served as a webpage - tesla waze https://teslawaze.azurewebsites.net. Think maps, weather, and the waze data all together (traffic, but also user reports of accidents and cops writing tickets).

On original tesla hardware, mcu 1 (not the later upgrades with faster cpus and probably more ram), the browser barely works. This is a free app that uses the gps on your car and serves a map page centered on your location. The thing that is interesting is you can add the waze data source on top of the map, plus weather, traffic, and other things like the altitude and wind direction. I really like this when driving somewhere outside the city, I like it better than the raw driving ui on a tesla. If I'm going somewhere, especially through the countryside I might set a destination with regular tesla routing and then put the teslawaze page on top.

You can try it out on your webbrowser or phone right now. This is the single most interesting app I want. And unfortunately on tesla mcu 1, the browser can barely handle it. On latest tesla hardware it's just fine.

Polecat

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Programmer
The Polestar browser has been pretty great for when I need to sit at a DCFC with my kids. Just pull up Disney+ or Plex and it's somehow more magical to them on that screen than the 65" we have at home.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I suspect - NO.

I agree here. Rivian has made it clear they want to aim for the Adventurous lifestyle. I doubt they'll put in a browser and an indirect way of saying "get off your lazy ass and do something while the car charges, ya schmuck!" (<-- my addition ;))

Sponsored

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
I agree here. Rivian has made it clear they want to aim for the Adventurous lifestyle. I doubt they'll put in a browser and an indirect way of saying "get off your lazy ass and do something while the car charges, ya schmuck!" (<-- my addition ;))
I guess I could explore the rest stop bathroom that requires a key and has a strange black stain over the lower quarter of the door...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Itā€™s a super easy way to add compatibility for a lot of web apps without having to build native versions. Just allow full screen mode and boom, Netflix. I use it on my polestar for weather when Iā€™m sitting at stoplights too.
It is most definitely not super easy unless you're fundamentally unserious about something, or multiple somethings.

Among other things, a browser is a significant potential threat vector on any device. It's also an extraordinarily complex bit of software with heavy servicing requirements, input complexity, major compatibility headaches, various media stack dependencies, etc.

It's certainly not impossible (obviously some other vehicles do it and various embedded devices/etc.) but it's certainly not "easy."

If I were calling the shots at Rivian it would be well below my cut line, behind much more meaningful improvements to things like nav, gear guard, the mobile apps, dog mode, etc.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I would really like integration with Netflix and other streaming resources. It will be great when charging.

I don't recall what type of Internet service you get with the Rivian, but like Tesla, I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind a minimal cost per month to have connectivity in the vehicle.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It is most definitely not super easy unless you're fundamentally unserious about something, or multiple somethings.

Among other things, a browser is a significant potential threat vector on any device. It's also an extraordinarily complex bit of software with heavy servicing requirements, input complexity, major compatibility headaches, various media stack dependencies, etc.

It's certainly not impossible (obviously some other vehicles do it and various embedded devices/etc.) but it's certainly not "easy."

If I were calling the shots at Rivian it would be well below my cut line, behind much more meaningful improvements to things like nav, gear guard, the mobile apps, dog mode, etc.
Yay someone else that thinks like me.

I originally thought, that would be neat.

But it would also be horrible to implement from the developers side. Just think how often chrome or Firefox update.... Nightmare.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™m pretty sure in an older interview with RJ he mentioned ā€œgamesā€, so I donā€™t see why other services wouldnā€™t be on the table eventually. Prime directive is kicking cars out the door though Iā€™d imagine.
Sponsored