Sponsored

Will the standard 21" tires be "M+S" (mud/snow) rated?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I'm waffling between the 20" all terrain and the 21" standard all season tire.

I read this post from Pirelli: https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian, and it's not clear to me if the 20" tire will have a mud/snow rating. I know that the M+S label is a low bar but in California it will get you by the chain control police (without having chains) when you're going over mountain passes in winter.

I'm currently leaning toward the 20" because they will have the (more stringent) 3PMSF rating, which is superior to M+S, but these 20s obviously won't last as long as the 21s. Which brings up another question: does anyone know what kind of mileage warranty Pirelli is placing on these tires?

It seems as though a number of tire manufacturers now build all-seasons (not winter) tires that achieve the 3PMSF rating, but I don't believe we are getting one of those as an option. Maybe asking to much to combine those characteristics with all the other EV requirements...
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Go 20 & don't look back. You can swith to a more efficient tire later if needed, probably much more cost effectively that the OEM 21.

Plus, there are true snow tires available in the 20" size if you need them.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
In the winter testing video they were using the 21s (and 22s) on the frozen lake

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Good questions.

I see that a non-Rivian 265/50R20 Scorpion Verde All Season (picture on Tire Rack dot com) shows M+S on the sidewall..which doesn’t quite answer your question. Pirelli states of the new Scorpion Verde.. “It is also designed to combine dry and wet road handling, comfort and year-round capabilities, including all-season traction in light snow”.

For the other AS on the 22” it might also include a M+S stamp on the tire. I recently purchased the Scorpion Zero Plus version in a 265/45R20 size. It is stamped with M+S. Pics attached. No snow to try it on yet.
Rivian R1T R1S Will the standard 21" tires be "M+S" (mud/snow) rated? B2B4A841-2AC7-4E09-AD19-420EBCBD1C4A
Rivian R1T R1S Will the standard 21" tires be "M+S" (mud/snow) rated? 18A0021D-3612-4BD3-ADE0-345DF1D2F72A
Rivian R1T R1S Will the standard 21" tires be "M+S" (mud/snow) rated? EB629E8A-CDA7-4615-B3E6-F6A5A560C0CE

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
seems unlikely that their all season option wouldn’t be m+s

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
In the winter testing video they were using the 21s (and 22s) on the frozen lake

I've had 20 years of mountain pass driving exp. in BMW/Audi AWD cars and SUVs, all with M+S all-season tires. That combo has been mostly fine but I've had a few instances where it was insufficient. (No accidents, knock wood, but a few slides here and there.)

There's a part of me that says 4 wheels turning independently in the Rivian is going to be really great in snowy/icy conditions and the tire will be even less of a concern. Just stick with all-season M+S (standard 21") and don't sweat it. This video reinforces that thought.

There's another part of me that wants to eliminate those slippery moments altogether and go for the all-terrain 20" with the 3PMSF rating, especially considering the oddball 21" tire size and non-existent alternatives for that rim.

Plus, I don't plan on driving around frozen lakes much where there's not another car or tree within miles. I'm sure it's fun but they should probably be doing these tests in bumper-to-bumper traffic on I-80, heading over Donner Pass in the middle of a white out. That would tell me more... :)