Sponsored

Will Rivians corporate culture of secrecy continue after R1T launch?

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I don't like to start threads but am genuinely interested in the groups thoughts on this subject. I am a Feb 2020 LE reservation holder who doesn't expect delivery until June 19 2022 at 1159 pm :) and okay with that. Rivian has gone to great length to project a the adventure/ outdoor image. They have done a great job of controlling that narrative and presenting that side of their corporate DNA. Their actions have also presented a tendency toward corporate secretly the likes of which I haven't noticed since Jobs was running Apple. The general lack of customer communication, the quick response to unauthorized video, the vendor experience on site at Normal all point to a very tight ship. I realize the hype value of keeping a product launch as an event not a process but my question, is this just a launch strategy or is there some element of secrecy that has been ingrained into the Rivian culture so deep that this is what to expect from them going forward while owning the vehicle. I truly don't know the answer to that question but I think its an important one to ask. Only time will tell and all I can do is wait and watch how they actual act going forward. One sign I will be looking for is If all of the sudden Rivian becomes Chatty Cathy tied a perspective IPO. That will tell me where the priorities are. Anyway though it would be interesting to hear others thoughts while we kill time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
My opinion on the matter is that the secrecy is due to the upcoming IPO. You don't want to announce delays or other issues while banks are trying to gauge investor sentiment. It will continue, anything material will need to be released in a regulated manner if it could be considered market moving.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My opinion on the matter is that the secrecy is due to the upcoming IPO. You don't want to announce delays or other issues while banks are trying to gauge investor sentiment. It will continue, anything material will need to be released in a regulated manner if it could be considered market moving.
That might be true, but I think it’s having the opposite of the desired effect. Rather than building excitement and enthusiasm, they are throwing a big bucket of ice water on us. They should be wanting all the free media coverage and hype they can get leading up to an IPO. That would come from releasing more info and giving the media something to write about. Instead we get silence. It makes no sense to me, but I hopeful there’s a larger strategy that I’m just too much of a simpleton to comprehend.

To the OP question, I think it will get better as time passes. They were in stealth mode for so long that it just seems built into their DNA as you mention. But once trucks are in customer hands, I think that will improve. As for announcements and info on future vehicles, I think that will continue to be:
Rivian R1T R1S Will Rivians corporate culture of secrecy continue after R1T launch? 1624457054858

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It is here to stay. The less I tell you the less opportunity I give you to harass me later about broken promises, unfulfilled expectations etc. Unfortunately it is, in these hyper-litigious times, necessary for corporations to act in this fashion.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It is here to stay. The less I tell you the less opportunity I give you to harass me later about broken promises, unfulfilled expectations etc. Unfortunately it is, in these hyper-litigious times, necessary for corporations to act in this fashion.
There is no better place to look in support of your statement than this forum.
Sponsored