Sponsored

Will Rivian really build a dual motor option?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

About 1.5 year away at this point. My R1s explore is (supposedly) 1H 2023. I'd gladly push it to 2024 for it.
You are an optimist...I hope you are right
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You are an optimist...I hope you are right
Just working off the information ghats currently available.

And I've heard the motor design is basically done. That they plan on putting it in the EDV next year makes me a little more confident. Especially since they are heavily incentivized to bring motor production and the next gen components in house for cost and supply chain control.

At the end of the day, I expect my 1H will slip, so if the motors slip, it's still probably a similar delta.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, I would totally delay my R1S explore reservation for an 800v dual motor variant at the same price. I just don't have use for the quad motor for what we would use the R1S for.
Have you tried configuring one? If you only do the large pack (6k 320+ miles) on the R1S and stay with defaults for everything else it is 78,500/84,000 for Explore/Adventure dual motors. That is really close to current quad motor prices.

It says deliveries start in 2024 but probably slides into 2025.

Maybe drop a deposit on one, get the quad and see if there is enough value left in it when the new tech comes out to make the switch.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Have you tried configuring one? If you only do the large pack (6k 320+ miles) on the R1S and stay with defaults for everything else it is 78,500/84,000 for Explore/Adventure dual motors. That is really close to current quad motor prices.

Maybe drop a deposit on one, get the quad and see if there is enough value left in it when the new tech comes out to make the switch.
I havent. I've thought about it, but I also don't want LA Silver, so the paint costs also increased.

Part of my point is it seems like a good win-win for Rivian to open that that option and the LFP option up to the early preorders to potentially save them some costs on those price locked builds.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
This only impacts the unfortunate post hike folks. Will Rivian really build the dual motor option or is it something that is just vaporware to avoid more price hike backlash? I know they said 2024, but somehow I don’t see it coming. Anyone else feels the same way?
I assume Rivian intends to do what they say but it will happen later than I hope. Announcing dual motor early doesn't seem to have avoided backlash.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
If the new Rivian Dual Motor was available right now I would choose it over the Quad. 600 HP is plenty for my needs and the electric motor and inverter would be cutting edge.

OP
OP

WantARivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru

Regarding timeline, let me tell you one thing. If they are going to deliver an order you place now beyond 2023, I’ll be ready to buy their stock at $20.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
They absolutely will build the dual motor version. They are probable realizing that they should have had that version from the beginning.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Absolutely. This will allow for all sorts of interesting options go forward. Smaller body styles with 1 or 2 motors, a high power 4 motor design (think AMG/M/RS). If the vehicle is great people will move to it.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Has anyone with pre 3/1 pricing asked CS or a guide about switching it on the dual motor version? I wonder if they would let you and lower the price or if they flat out say no?

I am in no hurry for delivery, so I would be curious. However I also would really like it to not be vaporware / actually be reviewed first.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Has anyone with pre 3/1 pricing asked CS or a guide about switching it on the dual motor version? I wonder if they would let you and lower the price or if they flat out say no?

I am in no hurry for delivery, so I would be curious. However I also would really like it to not be vaporware / actually be reviewed first.
Several of Tony’s emails mentioned switching to Dual Motor for pre-3/1 res-holders is an option, but requires the reservation holder to contact CS. I have not heard of anyone doing this. I think we all assume it means getting dual-motor for the price of the quad-motor, but otherwise maintaining pre-3/1 prices on everything else.

I’d consider swapping to dual if I got something approaching $6k savings over my current configuration, since that is the dual to quad upcharge, but I don’t think that’s on the table.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I Googled it, unsuccessfully, ... is the motor Rivian's proprietary design (that Bosch is making) or not?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I Googled it, unsuccessfully, ... is the motor Rivian's proprietary design (that Bosch is making) or not?
From the S-1 https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001874178/000119312521321716/d157488ds1a.htm
Electric Drive System

Our integrated electric drive system includes three main components: inverters, electric motors, and gearboxes. Our in-house designed inverters enable an architecture that supports maximum efficiency and performance. They control electric motors that were uniquely engineered for our vehicles and deliver sophisticated dynamics and drivability across our vehicle portfolio.
In parallel, we have developed capabilities in both electromagnetic and mechanical motor design. From extensive simulation and modeling capabilities, to bench and dynamometer testing in our facilities, we can rapidly develop and verify performance, efficiency, and reliability attributes. As we continue to vertically integrate, these capabilities will help us build a family of future motors with higher performance, improved packaging, and lower cost. In addition to inverters, our gearboxes were also developed in-house, tailored to address the duty cycles our vehicles undergo while still delivering efficiency and performance.

Our industry-first quad-motor system, launching in our R1T and R1S, enables extremely precise performance and torque control in on- and off-road environments. Four independent motors work together to deliver over 800 horsepower and over 900 pound-feet of torque. In the future, we intend to offer more drive system options, such as dual- or tri-motor all-wheel drive as well as higher performance quad-motor configurations. The EDVs leverage the same electric drive system components as our R1 vehicles, launching with a dual-motor front-wheel drive configuration. We plan for our commercial vehicles to be configurable with single-motor front-wheel drive or dual-motor all-wheel drive.
in the current R1 quad motor, they are Bosch. New models will be in house designed motors.
Sponsored