Sponsored

Will Rivian offer sophisticated Alarm/Security (like T's Sentry)

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Tried a Search on this topic. Only a few random hits from older threads (unless I just missed it).

Is Rivian offering more advanced vehicle alarm/perimeter monitoring akin to Tesla's Sentry?

Perhaps this is another lingering topic on the "still waiting for answers" list, so my apology if so.
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Tried a Search on this topic. Only a few random hits from older threads (unless I just missed it).

Is Rivian offering more advanced vehicle alarm/perimeter monitoring akin to Tesla's Sentry?

Perhaps this is another lingering topic on the "still waiting for answers" list, so my apology if so.

According to their patents they willl.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

cool. And of course, I did a Search using "Sentry" instead of security alarm and found quite a few posts from Q4 last year. Probably addresses it thoroughly

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
cool. And of course, I did a Search using "Sentry" instead of security alarm and found quite a few posts from Q4 last year. Probably addresses it thoroughly
In my understanding, it sounds like ā€˜Gear Guardā€™ may have a type of system where it will detect movement in the truck bed and the camera between the roof spoiler will kick on to alert you in the Rivian App.

I havenā€™t seen any other explicit details on the other cameras on the vehicle operating in a similar function, though.

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
In my understanding, it sounds like ā€˜Gear Guardā€™ will also have a type of system where it will detect movement in the truck bed and the camera between the roof spoiler will kick on to alert you in the Rivian App.

I havenā€™t seen any other explicit details on the other cameras on the vehicle operating in a similar function, though.
It would be cool if gear guard did that. It is also supposed to be tied in with the locking cable in the bed.

Sponsored

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
It would be cool if gear guard did that. It is also supposed to be tied in with the locking cable in the bed.
Rivian R1T R1S Will Rivian offer sophisticated Alarm/Security (like T's Sentry) 52269500-9AA2-4CA0-BA0E-AB673E983D59

I am probably being too optimistic with the ā€œA camera in the bed also monitors your gearā€ line at the end :)

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@Jsidell, @LoneStar
Found this excerpt from an early press release (2019) from Rivian:
"As part of a Gear Guard feature, the bed also has two integrated locking cables to safely secure bicycle frames and other gear to the bed. Any gear stored in the bed is monitored by a bed camera and the system alerts owners should the bed or contents be tampered with."
Seems reasonable to assume this would still be true. I hope additional features are added to monitor the entire vehicle like sentry mode.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Thanks for info. I also hope that Rivian finds way to utilize the vehicle perimeter sensors-suite for security monitoring when stationary and off. Having a feature on the smartphone app to remotely observe cameras in a "two-way" manner would be so sweet!

KeyesLloyd

First Name
Keyes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 CRV, soon R1t?
Occupation
Retired
I wrote to Rivian last night, this is the result.....
"Both the R1T and R1S feature 10 external cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 5 radars, and a high precision GPS. Weā€™ll be sharing more on the specific use of these features in regards to vehicle security as we get closer to production.

The R1T features Gear Guard - our remote monitoring system features a cut-resistant locking cable that wraps around your gear and plugs into the bed wall connecting directly into the vehicle security system. It will allow you to remotely monitor your gear through the Rivian app and receive instant alerts if the system senses an interruption. A camera in the bed also monitors and tracks your gear.

Weā€™ll also be sharing more information on available vehicle accessories as we approach our launch this summer. If you havenā€™t already, I encourage you to subscribe to our Adventure Newsletter on our website. It will be the first place to hear of program and product updates. "

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
ā€œcLoSeR tO pRoDuCtIoNā€

Ugh. That phrase. That useless, meaningless, infuriating phrase. Might as well be Rivianā€™s corporate motto

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
The OP implies a comparison to Tesla's Sentry mode, however, Gear Guard is not really applicable to any of the Tesla models (yet). Unless this thread is meant just for the R1T then it's also not really applicable to the overall security available to both R1 models. I'm very interested in what comprehensive security Rivian will provide overall regardless of which model you order.

For at least a couple years, if not more, the R1 models are going to be very noticeable not only on the road but in public parking lots. And with that kind of attention, well, I suspect most of us have seen some of the videos captured by the Tesla cameras of people vandalizing the vehicles. So for me I would like to know if Rivian will utilize their cameras to also be part of a robust security system.

This may be a little outdated (you may have come across this searching the forum) but when I spoke to the R1S team lead at the Normal event back in Oct 2019, I had asked about this very topic, that is, will Rivian provide something similar to Tesla's Sentry mode. As usual his response was short and without any detail but he basically said it will be much better than Tesla's. My first thought was, buddy, you don't have to sale pitch me, I'm already a pre-order holder - give me details! :headbang: So FWIW, I can only hope what he thinks is better than Tesla's makes it into production. None the less, still would like to hear the details of the security system long before then.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Don't worry, you'll get lots more information "as we get closer to production." :headbang:
Sponsored