Sponsored

Will Rivian offer a home charging system?

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
The Rivian will take 48A, which requires a hardwired EVSE on a 60A circuit. Your Juicebox will provide 40A, or about 9.6 kW (will vary a bit +/- based on the actual line voltage that will likely stray a bit from the nominal 240).
Thank you kindly. That helps. The whole enchilada it is then! ??
Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. "We can take care of installation as part of this purchase" doesn't mean included in the purchase, just that they'll sell you the installation service at the same time. The support article isn't explicit either, but "if you purchase the wall-mounted station we can help with installation." I'm not getting any explicit "free of charge" or "included with purchase" from any of the language...
That's fair. Let's see if they put their money where their mouth is. ?

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The Rivian will take 48A, which requires a hardwired EVSE on a 60A circuit. Your Juicebox will provide 40A, or about 9.6 kW (will vary a bit +/- based on the actual line voltage that will likely stray a bit from the nominal 240).
Thought: Have we considered that the Rivian home charger will be like the 3rd edition of the Tesla version that has a WiFi connection direct to Tesla built into the charger. There may be important reasons for Rivian to have that for diagnostic and other reasons.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Thought: Have we considered that the Rivian home charger will be like the 3rd edition of the Tesla version that has a WiFi connection direct to Tesla built into the charger. There may be important reasons for Rivian to have that for diagnostic and other reasons.
I can't imagine it would be worth the effort/expense for them at this time. Only a limited percentage of buyers will get the Rivian EVSE since third party equipment is readily, and probably less expensively, available. How much data could they get and how representative of the overall Rivian population would it be?

Since Tesla is proprietary most Teslas, and there are a lot of them, use Tesla charging equipment. Much more feasible for Tesla to extract meaningful data.

(My opinion. But you are right it could happen anyway. ;))

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Considering the vehicle will already be connected, the only benefit of the EVSE being connected would be to support diagnostics or firmware updates of the EVSE itself. This could be handy if the EVSE was going to be "smart" and support things like off peak charging but that could also be supported from the vehicle. I'm not sure what features the Rivian EVSE could support that would be truly unique to Rivian making their EVSE any more compelling than other products on the market.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
An EVSE is really nothing more than a switch that feeds AC power to the charger in the vehicle. It knows nothing about the vehicle itself and there is nothing in the J1772 interface that would allow any communication of that type of info.
An EVSE with WiFi can track usage, potentially connect to your utility, schedule charging from an app, etc. But all of that will be independent of the vehicle.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Many of the EVSE on the market sport some sort of WiFi interface which is used to do things like commission the equipment, set up charging schedules and report on energy use. As has been noted here already the vehicles themselves are connected to the net so there isn't really any need for a network connection for this sort of functionality with the exception of firmware and commissioning. Multiple 3rd generation Tesla HPWC can be interconnected through WiFi in order to allow management of them as a group. For example 8 of them on a 200A subpanel can be configured such that the total consumption of the set is limited to 200A. The idea is to accomodate charging in places like condominiums. AFAIK the firmware/software for this hasn't been rolled out.

My guess would be that the Rivian HVSE is made by one of the current players and "branded" Rivian so that it might have WiFi connectivity. OTOH Rivian has announced that they are rolling their own rectifier modules for their charging network.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

An EVSE is really nothing more than a switch that feeds AC power to the charger in the vehicle. It knows nothing about the vehicle itself and there is nothing in the J1772 interface that would allow any communication of that type of info.
An EVSE with WiFi can track usage, potentially connect to your utility, schedule charging from an app, etc. But all of that will be independent of the vehicle.
To be specific: When I have a problem with charging on one of our chargers - one stopped working properly after a current surge - Tesla wants to know from me when it happened - so they can check what happened and fix it or tell me how I can fix the issue. All this data flowing to Tesla about the charger comes from either the direct WiFi connection to the car or from the wifi connect to the charger or from both. Do we know how this works?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To be specific: When I have a problem with charging on one of our chargers - one stopped working properly after a current surge - Tesla wants to know from me when it happened - so they can check what happened and fix it or tell me how I can fix the issue. All this data flowing to Tesla about the charger comes from either the direct WiFi connection to the car or from the wifi connect to the charger or from both. Do we know how this works?
We don't know anything about Rivian's home charging system outside of what Rivian mentions on their web site (see my earlier post in this thread for a screen shot of that info). In a nutshell, we know it will charge the vehicle but that's about it.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

P S the 3rd gen Tesla charger will not charge until the wifi connection of the charger is fully connected to Tesla, they call it “commissioned”, a fairly complex process.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

P S the 3rd gen Tesla charger will not charge until the wifi connection of the charger is fully connected to Tesla, they call it “commissioned”, a fairly complex process.
Will there be good reasons to get the Rivian charger instead of a generic charger? We do not know is the answer here, correct?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
We assume you are talking about Gen 3. They have WiFi and thus can connect to the Mother Ship for things like commissioning, diagnostics and firmware updates. As when fully functional individual EVSE can be commanded to different levels it is clear things like load and other status data are available over WiFi. In many cases like this if a fault is detected that is logged. Whether that is in the unit itself or at the Mother Ship I don't know but it's probably in the unit itself. Thus when you report a fault they ask when and then upload the logs from the faulty unit. Please note that I am not asserting that this is how it works but it is very probably something like this

The Gen 3 EVSE can tell the car that it can draw as much as 48 A and that's fine if it be connected to a 60 A breaker. But if it be connected to a 30A breaker it must instruct the car to draw no more than 24 A. Thus it is necessary that someone commission the unit with the correct setting before it is allowed to supply current. In the older HPWC this was done by setting a rotary switch under a cover fastened with security torx screws which allowed Tesla to at least claim that they satisfied NEC requirements with respect to who can set the current capability. With the Gen 3 it looks as if anybody with the setup instructions can do that via the app.

In any case we don't know how Rivian will handle this but their EVSE will have some means for insuring that the correct current limit is communicated to the car (assuming, of course, that whoever commissions the equipment does so properly).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Will there be good reasons to get the Rivian charger instead of a generic charger? We do not know is the answer here, correct?
The only reason to get the Rivian charger, IMO, is to get the Rivian logo on it if you want to have a strong Rivian theme in your garage. The trucks are designed to work with any J1772 compatible charger (including Tesla HPWC). I suppose it is possible that there is some WiFi based Rivian unique feature that works with the Rivian App but I doubt it. I expect charging schedule setup and such will be available through the vehicle screens and the app even when connected to a minimalist J1772 EVSE.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I just installed a 60 amp breaker and 14-50 outlet to run a 48amp Open Source plug-in EVSE, to be delivered today. In time to get 2020 tax credit and $250 electric company rebate.

Now have a Clipper Creek hard wired EVSE, charges my BoltEV (32 amps I believe), and a plug-in older Open Source EVSE that uses a 40 amp circuit to charge my Volt, and now will have a third unit at 48 amps to charge the Rivian R1T. May have to stagger charging times so don't overwhelm my 200 amp power service.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I just installed a 60 amp breaker and 14-50 outlet to run a 48amp Open Source plug-in EVSE, to be delivered today. In time to get 2020 tax credit and $250 electric company rebate.
Potential problems here. A 48 A plug in charger does not meet code for EVSE in the US and would require a 14-60R plug and outlet in any case (e.g. if you were going to plug in a welder). Assuming you have the proper wire size for the 60A circuit you would need to cut off the plug on your existing unit and hard wire it to comply with NEC 2020. That is, a 48A charger behind a 60A breaker is kosher if hard wired. If you are in Canada I think you would be OK with the proper NEMA 14-60R receptacle. But you shouldn't be listening to me. You need to get in an electrician familiar with whatever codes apply in your state or province.

The alternative is to take out the 60A breaker and replace it with a 50 A and then reprogram the EVSE for a 50 A breaker (40A delivered to the truck).
Sponsored

Last edited: