Sponsored

Will Rivian meet R1S promised delivery dates?

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
once they start volume production they will burn through the backlog very quickly.

alternatively, you can also check leaseswap and take over a lease. You can get a year or even less time remaining. One time a lease I was considering to take over bmw 3 series lease which has 9 months left and costing me only $200/mo. The market can be way different now though but you have to check.
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think I'm just going to purchase the RX and then trade it in when the Rivian becomes available. That way I'm flexible when it comes to timing as I can keep the RX as long as I need to.
Why not consider a different EV? Again polestar 2 could be great for your use case.

Ioniq 5, EV6, ID4, Audi etron, Volvo xc40 and c40. Lots of good ev options these days.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Take a look at the Volvo program. It allows you to turn in the car anytime after 5 months. I placed my R1S order in February this year and was told it would be after 2022. I asked if that meant 2023 or 2033. Have not received a clarification yet (lol). It would be nice to know a rough estimate though.

Most R1T deliveries were very well reviewed but some have had serious issues. I am a bit concerned at some of the issues such as total shut down. I fully realise that this is a new platform. So, the R1S delay works in our favour because hopefully by then (2023-2033) most of the issues should be addressed.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Rather than lease a Lexus, I'd suggest you go test drive a polestar 2. You can get pre configured models pretty quickly, at MSRP, get the tax credit, then trade it in when your Rivian arrives.
That‘s exactly what I did…

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
There are definitely delays. Not officially announced but I’ve got an awesome guide who “unofficially” said the first units are going out in July, but probably to beta/employees only, followed by customer deliveries. This makes it a 3 month delay at least on early pre orders. Kind of what I expected. I feel for the guides, management doesn’t give them any info ahead of time and they bear the brunt of customer complaints. They can at least make some official announcements of delays to save their poor cs reps from getting yelled at…but they can shield their stock price with ambiguity better than transparency.

Sponsored

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
There are definitely delays. Not officially announced but I’ve got an awesome guide who “unofficially” said the first units are going out in July, but probably to beta/employees only, followed by customer deliveries. This makes it a 3 month delay at least on early pre orders. Kind of what I expected. I feel for the guides, management doesn’t give them any info ahead of time and they bear the brunt of customer complaints. They can at least make some official announcements of delays to save their poor cs reps from getting yelled at…but they can shield their stock price with ambiguity better than transparency.
July now?! I guess it will be close to EOY for mine in Canada (was July-Sept window)....4 years after pre-ordering it...

Davidavich

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 hyundai ioniq electric plus
Occupation
Firefighter
I have a 2018 Nov preorder date and last thing I was told was july- September this year. No co tact since and no guide contact yet

OP
OP

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant
Why not consider a different EV? Again polestar 2 could be great for your use case.

Ioniq 5, EV6, ID4, Audi etron, Volvo xc40 and c40. Lots of good ev options these days.
I don't really know anything about them. I'm not sure I want to take the chance. If I go with the Lexus at least I know I'm getting a quality product that is going to serve me well for as long as I need it and then when the Rivian becomes available I can try to talk my son into the RX. He drives an ancient 4Runner that he absolutely loves but that thing is a dinosaur that gets abysmal fuel economy. Not sure he would want to step up to the Lexus mommy wagon though. ;)

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I don't really know anything about them. I'm not sure I want to take the chance. If I go with the Lexus at least I know I'm getting a quality product that is going to serve me well for as long as I need it and then when the Rivian becomes available I can try to talk my son into the RX. He drives an ancient 4Runner that he absolutely loves but that thing is a dinosaur that gets abysmal fuel economy. Not sure he would want to step up to the Lexus mommy wagon though. ;)
Polestar is a quality build. I've been considering one. The range is not great but I rarely drive more than 200 miles a day. Moreover, they actually have cars to sell....Probably because there is no cult of personality associated with the brand there is less media hype.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Polestar was Volvo's performance team that they spun into its own company.

They are basically part of Volvo.

They are definitely a quality brand.

All the other models I listed are too. Audi etron, VW ID4, Hyundai ioniq5 (probably the best ev on the market right now), Kia EV6, Volvo XC40 and C40. These are all high quality vehicles. The polestar is just something you'd be more likely to find in stock because polestar got a head start.

Also I'd personally say this generation of EVs are simply better cars. Nearly all are faster 0-60 than an rx, handle probably as well due to low center of gravity. 0 emissions. And you never have to go to the gas station ever again. 99% of charging is done at home overnight. And they are about the same price 45k-60k as a Lexus rx.

All I'm suggesting is open your mind to the idea and go test drive a few. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Another customer service conversation and another "we'll send an update in a few weeks" line of bull.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I like the look but what I love is that it has door handles.

OP
OP

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant

They are basically part of Volvo.

They are definitely a quality brand.

All the other models I listed are too. Audi etron, VW ID4, Hyundai ioniq5 (probably the best ev on the market right now), Kia EV6, Volvo XC40 and C40. These are all high quality vehicles. The polestar is just something you'd be more likely to find in stock because polestar got a head start.

Also I'd personally say this generation of EVs are simply better cars. Nearly all are faster 0-60 than an rx, handle probably as well due to low center of gravity. 0 emissions. And you never have to go to the gas station ever again. 99% of charging is done at home overnight. And they are about the same price 45k-60k as a Lexus rx.

All I'm suggesting is open your mind to the idea and go test drive a few. You might be pleasantly surprised!
The thing that is killing me with the Mercedes is the maintenance and upkeep coupled with the horrible fuel economy. Plus, it is expensive to insure.

Right now I am budgeting $2500/year in maintenance (this is for tires, brakes and routine service). And this is a car that gets about 14.5mpg (bi-turbo V8 engine that makes almost 500hp). It is a high performance car so I expected this when I bought it but I'm not getting the joy of ownership that I wanted. It is too stiffly sprung for the crap roads we have around here and that makes it a very compromised daily driver.

The Lexus RX will cost me almost nothing for maintenance in comparison. Tires should last 40k miles, brakes about the same I expect and both will cost far less when they do need to be done.

I would never buy an Audi/VW. I've had horrible experiences with both so NEVER again with those two brands. I checked and Polestar doesn't have any vehicles available for sale locally. October is the expected delivery date for a new order... not sure I can wait that long.

It's a good time to trade the Mercedes as used car values are high. I can get out of it for almost what I paid for it nearly 3 years ago and I don't owe much on it so I can roll all that positive equity into a new car that will cost me far less to operate and be a much more comfortable daily driver. This makes it enticing to say the least.

Last edited:

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
I ordered a Bronco Badlands last summer, kind of on a whim in case Rivian shat the bed on the timing they had given for my R1T.

Well, the bed has been burned since then and I have my Bronco to play around in.

Go ahead and get another car, whatever it might be. What's the worst case scenario? Rivian actually produce your R1S by then time they said they will! SwapALease or similar will gobble your car up.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The thing that is killing me with the Mercedes is the maintenance and upkeep coupled with the horrible fuel economy. Plus, it is expensive to insure.

Right now I am budgeting $2500/year in maintenance (this is for tires, brakes and routine service). And this is a car that gets about 14.5mpg (bi-turbo V8 engine that makes almost 500hp). It is a high performance car so I expected this when I bought it but I'm not getting the joy of ownership that I wanted. It is too stiffly sprung for the crap roads we have around here and that makes it a very compromised daily driver.

The Lexus RX will cost me almost nothing for maintenance in comparison. Tires should last 40k miles, brakes about the same I expect and both will cost far less when they do need to be done.

I would never buy an Audi/VW. I've had horrible experiences with both so NEVER again with those two brands. I checked and Polestar doesn't have any vehicles available for sale locally. October is the expected delivery date for a new order... not sure I can wait that long.

It's a good time to trade the Mercedes as used car values are high. I can get out of it for almost what I paid for it nearly 3 years ago and I don't owe much on it so I can roll all that positive equity into a new car that will cost me far less to operate and be a much more comfortable daily driver. This makes it enticing to say the least.
I was drooling over touareg for a while but my fear of German cars kept me away. One of my friends was a car dealer that started from European cars and ended up with mostly Toyota and Lexus. When I asked him if you had to own one car what would it be? He said anything Toyota/Lexus would work for him. I asked why? he said when you turn the key, you can count on the car to start. Not his experience with the German counterparts. Most Lexus owners I know, keep going back to it. I hope Rivian will pay as much attention to ownership experience.
Sponsored