Sponsored

Will Rivian ever deliver vehicles to non-employees?

Will Rivian ever delivery non-employee vehicles?

• Yes

• No

• Probably, but I'm concerned

Results are only viewable after voting.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I think (hope) the question is rhetorical, but I'm getting very concerned about the status and progress of Rivian. I know this will likely be a controversial topic, so apologies in advance.

I've been a long time reservation holder. I'm in love with the prototype, and the potential of the product. But the company as a whole is what has me trying to determine whether we've all bought into some excellent vaporware sales, or if they're the real deal.

#1 Concern: Horrific communication to pre-order holders, if any. Remember when RJ promised communication was going to improve? Remember when guides were telling people in June that a whole series of emails were going to be coming out each week to give people every detail we've all been asking for? Remember when all LE holders were told that we'd be contacted by guides, AND given estimated delivery dates by Thanksgiving? None of this has happened, and at this point I consider these statements to just be flat-out lying to customers. (with the understanding that Thanksgiving is still a few days away)

#2 Concern: Missed deadlines without timely and substantial updates. I've posted several times the list of deadlines they've missed, and it's closing in on 10 of them. Missing deadlines due to Covid issues, supply chain problems, and chip shortages is understandable. But not letting customers know in advance that these things are happening is inexcusable. The latest and most offensive is telling one of our members that they are still on track for an October delivery, when they knew full-well that wasn't true. That member wasn't even given an update until November, and was straight lied to right up until that point. Several other members here are still being told that they'll receive their R1Ts by the end of this month. We shall see.

#3 Concern: No new information on the vehicles in several months. There are still a ton of outstanding questions that Rivian refuses or is unable to answer. This despite the fact that "saleable" vehicles have been going to employees since September. Why won't they answer the most basic questions some folks have? This leads me to believe the actual production vehicles are still not finalized, and the employee vehicles are really just beta prototypes.

#4 Concern: Many issues in the press/test vehicles still not resolved. Every time someone finds an issue in one of the test vehicles, it's simply dismissed as a pre-production problem and it will be fixed. But, these things were theoretically delivered starting in September, so either the production vehicles are lemons, or they really aren't production vehicles (see concern 3). Broken tonneau covers, malfunctioning Driver+, etc. All these issues indicate that we are very far away from real production vehicles.

So, with all of the above concerns, I'm simply not convinced Rivian is ready to deliver vehicles any time in the near future. And I'm becoming increasing worried that they are so far away from real production, it may not happen at all.

So as I said above, this poll is mostly tongue in cheek, but what are you current feelings?

Edit: I was bored this morning, so figured let's just have some fun conjecture. Everyone please play nice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Nope. They won’t. They created a multi billion dollar company, IPO, factory, Venice Hub and several other buildings just for the employees.

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I mean, barring the company collapsing, they will EVENTUALLY, given the nature of linear time, deliver to customers.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's just taking a long time to redesign tonneau. So it works. They apparently forgot it.

Jokes aside, I think someone else has mentioned this too, but I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver more R1S initially since that seems to be an easier vehicle to manufacture.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Nope. They won’t. They created a multi billion dollar company, IPO, factory, Venice Hub and several other buildings just for the employees.
Exactly my thinking. Clearly, this was all a ruse!

I'm sorry but these kinds of hyperbolic posts need to die. Even if it's trying to be "cute" it does nothing. Of course, Rivian has intentions of delivering, of course, they will, it's a matter of time. Debating the "whens" is already tiring at this point, but understandable. Yes we ALL want our f&*king trucks, we don't need to keep crying to each other about it - yet here we are. All we can do is wait until Rivian gets their production in gear, solves early issues, solves pipeline issues, solves hiring issues... There's a lot going on. I assume by going public via IPO they intend to deliver vehicles. Cool your jets folks. The wait sucks but we ALL get it, we're ALL in it.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Well, there are about 5 business days left in Nov. There are about 4 members here who keep saying their guides are confirming Nov. delivery. That's just crazy. Like @Diddy123 said, there are simple questions we can't get answered (how much is the membership, what's in it). There are some members here who still believe that contacts have been an ongoing process but those people just don't post it here on the forum.

The chance of that happening is 0%. We just happened to have a bunch of members who reported contacts back in June and then suddenly 5 months of silence? right.....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I voted no, because you didn't define "Rivian Employee". Anyone who gets one of the trucks will surely be an unpaid brand ambassador.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
#2 Concern: Missed deadlines without timely and substantial updates. I've posted several times the list of deadlines they've missed, and it's closing in on 10 of them.

#3 Concern: No new information on the vehicles in several months.
It's easy to focus on the missed deadlines and completely forget about all the met ones. There have been many in the last several months that have been delivered on. Start of production (yes they did start), first drive events, mobile test drives, gear shop, service centers completion and commencing. Oh, and they completed a highly successful IPO which was the most important objective of all.

Really??? You haven't learned anything new about the product in several months?? I think you meant to focus on the few things you still haven't learned, but clearly we've all learned more in the past few months than in the previous three years. Take a moment and transport yourself back to June/July and think about what has happened since.

I think it might be best for some to just disconnect from everything, recenter themselves, enjoy the holidays with family, and start the new year off with a fresh battery (pun intended). It's a testament to the product and anticipation that it's creating such anxiety.