Sponsored

Will Rivian charge an EcoFlow Battery Power Station (or like device)?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Have seen video's where the Rivian outlets would not successfully start a charge session in an attempt to trickle charge another EV or electric bike.

One of my hesitations with the Rivian is the fact that the truck only offers a maximum of 1500W of output between its two 110v plugs.

My thought was, if it will trickle charge an EcoFlow Power Station, then could get one of those to handle higher surge loads. Not likely we'll constantly need higher loads, but would offer reliable spike capability without tripping the "fuse" in the Rivian. When not at max load, then the Rivian could potentially be charging the power station back up. My only concern is that attempts to charge another EV or even an electric bike were not successful and that that may also apply to charging the EcoFlow Power Station or similar type battery backups?

Has anyone tried it? This is one of the primary reasons I've been giving the Ford serious consideration. As a vehicle, I love the Rivian tons more, but for added utility that the Ford provides in effectively being a back-up generator that can power your home or campsite for days, it has a lot of appeal. Trying to think of a workaround. This could be it, IF you can at least charge the battery from the Rivian's power outlet?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
In previous threads on this it was more or less determined that the problem with using the Rivian as a whole house source was that the grounding is not proper for that application whereas with the Ford it is as the Ford is intended to be used in that way. The unproven, untested hypothesis is that with a proper isolation transformer (also necessary to provide the house's second phase) the Rivian could be used to power a house provided the very limited power capacity is honored and a proper transfer switch is used.

The Rivian should be able to charge something like a Yeti as it charges from a 400W AC supply which is isolated from ground and a Yeti6000 has a 1500 W inverter.

My question whenever this comes up is "Why would you want to power your house from your truck?"

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
My question whenever this comes up is "Why would you want to power your house from your truck?"
Because you don't have a generator or don't want to use one during relatively short duration power outages. Much more convenient and quiet to just plug in that giant battery pack you have in the garage. Even though I might have need of it just a handful of times/year the Ford/GM capability is one killer app that Rivian missed.

That said, Ford missed it even worse with the Mach E. No 110v outlets at all. :confused:

steelwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Clubs

I just saw a YouTube video last night and he was able to charge his Tesla from his Rivian. It was incredibly slow however.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I just saw a YouTube video last night and he was able to charge his Tesla from his Rivian. It was incredibly slow however.
Thank you. So that ground bonding plug is the key. I know others tried the same thing, plugging in to the Rivian's outlet without a bonding plug and it did not work. So was concerned the same might happen with a backup battery or EV bike. Heard that it was due to not being properly grounded, so apparently that bonding plug thing (never heard of it prior to this) is enough to ground the system so the power can be accepted from the Rivian. Thank you. That helps a ton.

I wish the Rivian outlets put out more than just 1500w. Pretty low compared to Ford at 7200. Most RV generators are in the 4000 to 5000 range, so the Ford has well more than enough power for just about everything. At 1500, many will be "blowing the fuse" so to speak, on the Rivian. The EcoFlow and other back-up batteries offer much higher surge rates. Certainly not the most optimal or efficient choice, but should be a way to get around Rivian's weak 110 output. A 2,060 EcoFlow appears would fit in the gear tunnel and I think it offers up to 3,800 surge power with 1,800 constant.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The EVSEs are sensitive to how ground is configured.
Thank you. So that ground bonding plug is the key. I know others tried the same thing, plugging in to the Rivian's outlet without a bonding plug and it did not work. So was concerned the same might happen with a backup battery or EV bike. Heard that it was due to not being properly grounded, so apparently that bonding plug thing (never heard of it prior to this) is enough to ground the system so the power can be accepted from the Rivian. Thank you. That helps a ton.
My bonding plug faults out the Rivian inverter right away.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The EVSe scenario is a little iffy depending on the charger and bonding plug, but I would expect any battery power station to charge just fine. Most of the decent ones are not particularly sensitive to incoming power (and you could probably charge off of 12V, which would be theoretically more efficient anyway).
Sponsored