Sponsored

Will Radio be FM/AM/HD or Internet (Streaming) ?

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Any one hear anything about if Rivian will have broadcast FM/AM/HD radio stations, or will they go to the internet radio (streaming) route ?

Call me old school, but I have always preferred broadcast radio, especially since my go to sports station and traffic update is on AM.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
AM radio doesn't play well with EVs (signal interference).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Any one hear anything about if Rivian will have broadcast FM/AM/HD radio stations, or will they go to the internet radio (streaming) route ?

Call me old school, but I have always preferred broadcast radio, especially since my go to sports station and traffic update is on AM.
There have been threads about this.

FM radio, Bluetooth, and some integrated streaming(Spotify). So far.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
There have been threads about this.

FM radio, Bluetooth, and some integrated streaming(Spotify). So far.
Yeah, there was some discussion about Radio in the Sirius thread, but nothing was mentioned about the Rivian having AM/FM receivers for radio. I had hoped some one may have asked about this from their guides.

I guess will have to wait and see, but my guess is, they will go the internet streaming route.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah, there was some discussion about Radio in the Sirius thread, but nothing was mentioned about the Rivian having AM/FM receivers for radio. I had hoped some one may have asked about this from their guides.

I guess will have to wait and see, but my guess is, they will go the internet streaming route.
I didn’t ask a guide(don’t have one yet), but did ask customer service. FM and Bluetooth and some streaming apps built in was all they could confirm. Definitely no AM.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I didn’t ask a guide(don’t have one yet), but did ask customer service. FM and Bluetooth and some streaming apps built in was all they could confirm. Definitely no AM.
Shame on the no AM. I know electric vehicles tend not to have it, since the electronics interfere with reception... But a lot of state DOTs still broadcast road conditions and emergency info over AM.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Having driven a couple of the "compliance cars" that the big manufacturers rushed to the California market and carried over their AM radios from their ICE counterparts...

I can confirm - AM radio in an EV ranges anywhere from "extremely poor quality even for AM radio" to "absolutely useless"

It's kinda cool to monitor electric motor health by tuning in the radio, I guess. Because that's all you'll hear.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Having driven a couple of the "compliance cars" that the big manufacturers rushed to the California market and carried over their AM radios from their ICE counterparts...

I can confirm - AM radio in an EV ranges anywhere from "extremely poor quality even for AM radio" to "absolutely useless"

It's kinda cool to monitor electric motor health by tuning in the radio, I guess. Because that's all you'll hear.
It's funny to hear you say that, but on my ELR (and I'm guessing Volt owners may note the same), my A.M. is almost like an audible tach of sorts. The radio hisses and pops depending on the speed of the car and the noise calms as I coast to a stop.

I've only listened a few times, only after mistakenly hitting the media button and landing on A.M., which, at least in an EV, must stand for Awful Music.

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
It's funny to hear you say that, but on my ELR (and I'm guessing Volt owners may note the same), my A.M. is almost like an audible tach of sorts. The radio hisses and pops depending on the speed of the car and the noise calms as I coast to a stop.

I've only listened a few times, only after mistakenly hitting the media button and landing on A.M., which, at least in an EV, must stand for Awful Music.

I had a 2017 Volt and I listened to the AM radio all the time, for local sports talk. I never noticed a problem. I sold it to my son, since he needed an upgrade over his old VW Jetta and I'm getting a big upgrade to a R1T !

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
My 2015 tesla s 85d does have am radio, but newer versions don't have AM. I had noticed a little static at times but its completely fin. I really wonder what they did and why tesla decided they absolutely had to drop it later. It's supposedly built in to the center console, if you get that replaced you lose the am radio.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'd like to find out if the radio will receive HD stations. AM/FM Radio still has plenty of value for local news, sports, emergencies, etc. and when streaming is impractical or not avaialable. If Rivian was really forward thinking, the radio would be an SDR (Software Defined Radio) and it could be upgraded for future new signal modes OTA. They could also include a DSP to remove EV noise on AM. But that's wishful thinking, I suppose.....
Sponsored