Sponsored

Will R1T fit ski length 193cm (6' 4") without a ski rack?

SherlockOhms

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, soon R1S
Occupation
Retired corrosion technician
Clubs

I Have a R1T on the way, jumped out of line for the R1S.
R1S is my vehicle of choice. I may want to get back in line.
Question, Ski length 193cm (6' 4"), will they fit in the R1T without a ski rack?
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I Have a R1T on the way, jumped out of line for the R1S.
R1S is my vehicle of choice. I may want to get back in line.
Question, Ski length 193cm (6' 4"), will they fit in the R1T without a ski rack?
My 185s fit in the bed diagonal, but it was pretty close. I THINK they would fit, but its going to be close.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Short version is it probably depends on your ski rocker profile. My big powder skis (188s) barely fit, and no longer fit when I added the BuiltRight molle panel. My all-mountains have less rocker and they still fit diagonally.

For 193s, I wouldn't count on it. I put a ski rack on the bed, they don't get much road spray up there due to being tucked behind the cab, even though they stick out a few inches past the tailgate. You can always put them in a waterproof ski sock if you really want them out of the elements (I do this when I have them on the tent or for long wet drives.)

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
As mentioned above, 188s are pretty much the max length

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Just buy skis without metal so that they really, really flex... :)

It's worth noting that you can put longer skis in the bed, hanging over the tailgate, and then close the tonneau ~95%. The tips will stick out but they'd be reasonably secure. Fine for short hauls. Otherwise, you need a rack/box.

OP
OP
SherlockOhms

SherlockOhms

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, soon R1S
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks kylealden,
This is the kind of info I am looking for ,
Hate road grime on my bindings. IF I end up settling for the R1T over the 1S a ski rack on the bed sounds like an acceptable solution. A gator on the bindings may be called for

OP
OP
SherlockOhms

SherlockOhms

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, soon R1S
Occupation
Clubs

Just buy skis without metal so that they really, really flex... :)

It's worth noting that you can put longer skis in the bed, hanging over the tailgate, and then close the tonneau ~95%. The tips will stick out but they'd be reasonably secure. Fine for short hauls. Otherwise, you need a rack/box.
yizzung
Thanks, my short haul is a 140mi round trip 3 to 4 times a week, depending on whether let'er snow and blow.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
+1 for the "probably not" answer.

My everyday-use 185 Nordica Enforcers fit diagonally. My powder day 190 Moment's have enough rocker and tip/tail splay that they fit but only when separated, not if they are stacked base-to-base.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I was pleasantly surprised 187cm Blizzard Bonafides (100mm underfoot) fit crossways in the bed fully flat to the floor and tailgate closed.

However 190 cm DPS Wailers powder skiis (112 underfoot) do not fit with tailgate closed. They also do not fit with tailgate and tonneau closed when tilted up.

Rivian R1T R1S Will R1T fit ski length 193cm (6' 4") without a ski rack? IMG_2482
Rivian R1T R1S Will R1T fit ski length 193cm (6' 4") without a ski rack? IMG_2483

Rivian R1T R1S Will R1T fit ski length 193cm (6' 4") without a ski rack? IMG_2484

Last edited:

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

It’s going to be close if it fits. It depends on the amount of rocker and tip/tail height. Manufactures are also not consistent on how they measure length.

There’s a website that allows you to compare ski dimensions and profiles - soothski.com
Use that tool to compare skis that fit to yours to try to figure out if yours are likely to fit.
As a comparison point, my 2023 Nordica enforcer 94, 186cm fit with zero extra space when placed diagonally, as a pair, flat on the bed. If it’s a bit longer/taller than that, you can separate the skis in an x shape and/or have one end elevated.

Drott

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 2011
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

My 186 QST Blank do not fit. I ended up getting the Yakima fat cat 6 (20% off during a REI sale) because my box wouldn’t fit over the bed. I was mostly happy with it, but the locks did freeze on me one particularly cold day so I always take a kettle with me know. The Blanks do have a bit of overhang, but it was never an issue, even on a 10+ hour drive from Portland to Montana hitting 85 at times.

OP
OP
SherlockOhms

SherlockOhms

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, soon R1S
Occupation
Clubs

I instructor at Timberline,
Ski at Meadows. That does sound like a reasonable solution. I have a VIN for an r1t but I'm thinking about getting back in line from my r1s.

Jesperj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My 185s did NOT fit diagonally. My 178s did, but only if I didn’t have them in the ski bag.

I ended up with the R1S in large part due to the fact that the bed on the R1T was so small.
Sponsored