Sponsored

Will R1 automatically accept charge after a power outage to the EVSE?

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
Does anyone know if the R1 vehicles will automatically accept charge from an EVSE when power is restored after an outage? For example the EnelX Juicebox or ChargePoint HomeFlex will automatically restart and try to send charge to the connected vehicle after power is restored after an outage. Some vehicles will accept this restart, but some do not. I’m asking about this in particular because I have an old house and limited to 100 Amps. Upgrading the power line to my house to 200 or 250A would cost about $45K which is outrageous so I’ve decided to install a DCC-12 instead. This device monitors the power consumption of the entire house and cuts the EVSE of load exceeds 80% and reinstates it once below that threshold for a period of time. However, I’d like to know if this is a workable solution for the R1 vehicles. Thanks.
Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Does anyone know if the R1 vehicles will automatically accept charge from an EVSE when power is restored after an outage?
I have a grizzl-e duo at work. And I have to turn it off at the breaker inside. So I plug in my R1 and go inside and then flip breaker on just like power being restored. It works perfect.

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a grizzl-e duo at work. And I have to turn it off at the breaker inside. So I plug in my R1 and go inside and then flip breaker on just like power being restored. It works perfect.
Thank you @W1SE. This is the kind of example I was hoping to hear about. Glad to hear it works!

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Really is situational between vehicle and charger. There is a pilot signal on one of the wires to communicate between vehicle and charger.

I have issues with the EnelX Juicebox sometimes recommunicating with the Rivian and am working with them to get a firmware fix in place. Need help from Rivian to send them the logs so it's taking longer to sort out.

With the Rivian charger, no issues at all, although after power is restored it does take a bit to start charging.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Really is situational between vehicle and charger. There is a pilot signal on one of the wires to communicate between vehicle and charger.

I have issues with the EnelX Juicebox sometimes recommunicating with the Rivian and am working with them to get a firmware fix in place. Need help from Rivian to send them the logs so it's taking longer to sort out.

With the Rivian charger, no issues at all, although after power is restored it does take a bit to start charging.
My rivian charger and my grizzl-e chargers both take a bit to reactivate but you have to realize they are computers booting up. What I really appreciate is the charge door doesn’t close if there isn’t power suppling from the charger to the vehicle. That was my worry that if no power was active the charge door would try to close on the charge plug. But nope.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

thank you @Christopher this is really helpful to know that the EnelX isn’t as consistent as the Rivian EVSE. That one was the front runner for me given the online reviews. I’m now wondering if the Rivian charger is the better choice. What’s your experience with that charger and charging other vehicles and its build quality vs. the EnelX? I’m going to mount it outside so durability is an important factor. Thanks!!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My rivian charger and my grizzl-e chargers both take a bit to reactivate but you have to realize they are computers booting up. What I really appreciate is the charge door doesn’t close if there isn’t power suppling from the charger to the vehicle. That was my worry that if no power was active the charge door would try to close on the charge plug. But nope.
Mine has definitely closed on the cable before if I reboot the charger and the Rivian is in a charging error state.

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine has definitely closed on the cable before if I reboot the charger and the Rivian is in a charging error state.
Which charger do you have?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Which charger do you have?
Wallbox Pulsar Plus. It's possible that there is something going on with my truck, Rivian support suggested they hadn't heard of anyone else with the same issues I have. The truck is going in for service in two months for them to do an engineering inspection on it and some other issues I've been having. They have pretty limited access to any diagnostics for third party chargers without having physical access to the vehicle apparently.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Keep in mind that breakers are not intended or designed to used as a switch. They do not have the longevity or duty cycle like a light switch.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Does anyone know if the R1 vehicles will automatically accept charge from an EVSE when power is restored after an outage? For example the EnelX Juicebox or ChargePoint HomeFlex will automatically restart and try to send charge to the connected vehicle after power is restored after an outage. Some vehicles will accept this restart, but some do not. I’m asking about this in particular because I have an old house and limited to 100 Amps. Upgrading the power line to my house to 200 or 250A would cost about $45K which is outrageous so I’ve decided to install a DCC-12 instead. This device monitors the power consumption of the entire house and cuts the EVSE of load exceeds 80% and reinstates it once below that threshold for a period of time. However, I’d like to know if this is a workable solution for the R1 vehicles. Thanks.
You can likely do a 50A breaker/40A draw setup unless you have an electric dryer and or electric stove along with Central Air. Many 100A panels have just 12 slots so you have to be creative with twins or quads.

https://ask-the-electrician.com/residential-electrical-load-calculation.html

Rivian R1T R1S Will R1 automatically accept charge after a power outage to the EVSE? IMG_20221124_110009

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I use an Enel-X JuiceBox, set to only give power based on my time-of-use electricity pricing. The majority of the time, the Rivian is smart enough to start charging once power actually starts flowing. Every once in a while, some bit of miscommunication will happen and it will sit on the red-ring-of-not-charging until I go back out, unplug and replug.

Note that I do *NOT* currently recommend JuiceBox units. I did previously; but they are in the process of changing their app, and the new app is *TERRIBLE* and outright missing a key feature I bought a JuiceBox for - load sharing multiple EVSEs. If they don't add that back by the time they turn off the old app's ability to connect, they'll have lost me as a customer forever. (The existing set up load sharing *should* continue to work; but I've had my JuiceBox units spontaneously forget about it in the past, or need a full reset because of some fault; and if I can't reconfigure load sharing after this happens? Suddenly I've dropped from having two EVSEs to only having one, because I won't be able to use one of them any more.)

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I use an Enel-X JuiceBox, set to only give power based on my time-of-use electricity pricing. The majority of the time, the Rivian is smart enough to start charging once power actually starts flowing. Every once in a while, some bit of miscommunication will happen and it will sit on the red-ring-of-not-charging until I go back out, unplug and replug.

Note that I do *NOT* currently recommend JuiceBox units. I did previously; but they are in the process of changing their app, and the new app is *TERRIBLE* and outright missing a key feature I bought a JuiceBox for - load sharing multiple EVSEs. If they don't add that back by the time they turn off the old app's ability to connect, they'll have lost me as a customer forever. (The existing set up load sharing *should* continue to work; but I've had my JuiceBox units spontaneously forget about it in the past, or need a full reset because of some fault; and if I can't reconfigure load sharing after this happens? Suddenly I've dropped from having two EVSEs to only having one, because I won't be able to use one of them any more.)
Thanks for sharing this. Super helpful.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I did a firmware update to my Pulsar Wallbox charger with the R1T plugged in and a charge scheduled for the following morning before work. The R1T charge failed. I had to unplug and replug in.
Sponsored