Sponsored

Will I hate life with a 76" tall garage door opening and an R1T?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I just confirmed my configuration and got my guide assigned so it seems like R1T ownership is becoming a little closer to reality for me. That has caused me to start giving some more serious thought about what life will be like with the R1T.

My biggest concern at this point is my garage. The ceiling in there is very low and the garage door opening is small. As of now my opener is only about 72" from the floor, so I know I'll have to move that and possibly replace the door so I can use a torsion bar opener.

The thing I can't easily change is the door opening, which is about 76" high. My questions are:

- How risky and/or frustrating will it be to live with a door that short? Does anyone else deal with this issue?
- Will the truck fit in low, or only in kneel? I see conflicting height info online.
- Does the R1T have geofencing around ride height so I could set it to drop to low or kneel when I approach the house?
- If not, can it kneel while in motion so I could lower it before entering the garage?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sport+lowest is lower than kneel mode. Can't give you an answer about specific heights since I've never measured.

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
That’s a short garage. My truck on 20’s is 74+ to the roof in Conserve / Auto and the antenna is a few above that. I can’t see me getting it that low. Maybe on 21’s in kneel mode, but wow, that will get annoying. Going up and down is not instantaneous. Hopefully some low garage folks can chime in. Mine is 84” inches and that was a compromise when we built.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

Here's a reddit post on the same thing. I think you will have to be in sport mode to get into the garage. If that bothers you, you might want to reconsider.

I was afraid of the same thing (my driveway has a wicked angle of approach downslope to the garage), and it ended up being OK. (in all purpose I have like 1" clearance on the STUPIDLY tall sharkfin antenna)

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I can measure in sport+lowest when I get home (on 21's) unless someone already has that data out there.

OP
OP

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Hmm, thanks for all the input.

Yes it is a very short garage - when the house was built the builder inserted a room (vertically) between the garage and the master bedroom (which otherwise would have been over a normal sized or even tall garage) that was clearly not in the original design. The consequences were the short garage plus a ridculous situation where you had to go up steps to get from the hall to the MBR, then back down two steps to get into the master bath!

About 5 years ago we remodeled a bit and were able to raise the floor in the master bath to the same level as the bedroom, but there is nothing we can do about the garage unfortunately.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I just confirmed my configuration and got my guide assigned so it seems like R1T ownership is becoming a little closer to reality for me. That has caused me to start giving some more serious thought about what life will be like with the R1T.

My biggest concern at this point is my garage. The ceiling in there is very low and the garage door opening is small. As of now my opener is only about 72" from the floor, so I know I'll have to move that and possibly replace the door so I can use a torsion bar opener.

The thing I can't easily change is the door opening, which is about 76" high. My questions are:

- How risky and/or frustrating will it be to live with a door that short? Does anyone else deal with this issue?
- Will the truck fit in low, or only in kneel? I see conflicting height info online.
- Does the R1T have geofencing around ride height so I could set it to drop to low or kneel when I approach the house?
- If not, can it kneel while in motion so I could lower it before entering the garage?
1st question. Did you measure it? What’s the actual opening size? To the weatherstripping as well as to the frame itself.

2nd question. Is your floor transition flat? Or does it step up in any way?

The reason I ask is because they’re typically 6.5’ doors. Mine is 78” in height. What I found is that my F-150 Lightning which is supposedly 77.2” tall:
Rivian R1T R1S Will I hate life with a 76" tall garage door opening and an R1T? B2E68B30-2309-4A4A-AAAC-C68084D6F4FB

Wife said stop and then went inside…..I didn’t listen.

Rivian R1T R1S Will I hate life with a 76" tall garage door opening and an R1T? 8475E4ED-B9EA-4FF8-B892-873257A6CAD1

Turns out because of the angle in which the garage floor is tilted, I had more room than I thought I would.

Now for the R1T:
Rivian R1T R1S Will I hate life with a 76" tall garage door opening and an R1T? 8AC3DA9C-8C36-45CB-80A4-E8A564E1C55A

5” of clearance with the truck on 22” / All Purpose / Standard. It even fits on High

Just don’t put it into very high…tried that too. Wife YELLED stop and tapped on the window until I did. I guess we know which truck she likes better…

Sponsored

OP
OP

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Interesting, thanks for all the detailed info! I did measure it, but I did fudge a bit: the driveway is about an inch higher than the garage floor, so I measured the height from the driveway to the height of the top of the door, although that point is a few inches from the door frame itself.

OP
OP

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Just to follow up with the resolution: R1T (on 20" AT) was delivered yesterday and it fits comfortably on low. Will test it on standard next but I expect it to fit based on there looking to be 5" or so of clearance above the truck while in low. Very relieved that I got through the door. It only has about 6" of clearance front to back so no squeezing past to the passenger side.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Just to follow up with the resolution: R1T (on 20" AT) was delivered yesterday and it fits comfortably on low. Will test it on standard next but I expect it to fit based on there looking to be 5" or so of clearance above the truck while in low. Very relieved that I got through the door. It only has about 6" of clearance front to back so no squeezing past to the passenger side.
This helpful for me. Have mine coming (also 20” AT) and an 80 inch garage so I think I’ll be good. When you said in “low” is that basically sport mode?

OP
OP

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I think the right heights are the same no matter what drive mode you're in, it's just that the range of heights differs across modes. That is, low in all-purpose is the same height as low in sport, but in sport you can go one lower into "lowest."

All that being said, my truck on 20" ATs fits in my garage on "normal" height, so I think with 80" you will be totally fine. Just be sure you're measuring the lowest obstruction, which may not be the opening. For example, the elbow on my garage door opener hangs below the door height and is the lowest thing my truck could hit.
Sponsored