Sponsored

Will I be the only Rivian in New England?

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

That might have been @jwardell. I think he has the same config as you.

Up until yesterday, the only R1Ts I’ve seen were parked in the Chelsea lot. Saw my first in the wild yesterday on 93 south in NH driving back from VT. Saw those distinctive headlights coming up behind me in my rear view and told my kids to get a video as he passed. Limestone with 20” bright ATs I think.
Nope, neither were me!
Yesterday I drove back from CT 84 to 90 to 93. Today usual commute into boston on 93.
I'm absolutely slammed with work and moving house and stuff, but hopefully we can all get together later this summer.
Sponsored

ShrinkDoc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, VW Alltrack
Occupation
Psychiatrist
Nope, neither were me!
Yesterday I drove back from CT 84 to 90 to 93. Today usual commute into boston on 93.
I'm absolutely slammed with work and moving house and stuff, but hopefully we can all get together later this summer.
Must be another FG R1T with 21s among us.
Hope work settles down and good luck with the move.
Would be great to gather at some point later in the summer. Sadly, I likely won’t have my truck by then, but I’d be glad to ogle at everyone else’s.

Thanksgramps

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS V Sport
I ended up changing my wheels to the 21's since I think I'll feel better with a little extra range.. It's 200 miles one way to drive from my house to my little camp in Vermont... Plus it seems the 21's handle modest off roading fine.
What do you plan to do with snow? I agree the 21s will handle light off-road and the extra range is great. But driving down the gap in a 7,000 truck without snow tires scares me in the winter.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What do you plan to do with snow? I agree the 21s will handle light off-road and the extra range is great. But driving down the gap in a 7,000 truck without snow tires scares me in the winter.
I plan to get another set of tires eventually.. That might mean I won't always head to Vermont if the weather is going to be inclement.. (until I get the tires)

Sponsored

JCElectricSUV

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC 43
Occupation
MGR
Clubs

I plan to get another set of tires eventually.. That might mean I won't always head to Vermont if the weather is going to be inclement.. (until I get the tires)
Are chains something that can eliminate the need for another set of wheels and tires in New England. Not sure of the use or laws there. It was pretty standard going over Donner Pass in California.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Are chains something that can eliminate the need for another set of wheels and tires in New England. Not sure of the use or laws there. It was pretty standard going over Donner Pass in California.
Not sure what the rules are.. I know I see Vermonters driving with studded tires all year long.. Which seems silly to me..

Thanksgramps

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS V Sport
When I lived in Seattle we always traveled with chains and used them several times a year going skiing. The wet snow was super slick and you’d need them to get uphill. I’m VT, I never see chains and I need my snows most when going down on ice. Not sure chains would help a ton there but who knows.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah I don't do chains but run studded snows in the winter only. But I live on a steep back road in the mountains.

I feel like chains are a pain to put on and cause a lot of wear on the tire and you can't go very fast. But I've only lived here 2 winters and the only time I put chains on a car was in 1994 on a Toyota tercel with >100k miles on it during a cross country trip and I was in Nebraska at the time.

So my experiences are possibly outdated/from limited perspective.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yeah after getting the VT house and needing to drive up a steep curvy icy road every week and then down unplowed rutty dirt road, I rushed to get chains for my Model 3, because I was worried my brand new Hakkapellitas were still not enough. The Nokians definitely saved me many times but I never needed the chains, which admittedly would be a pain to put on out on a snowy road.
I already asked my guide if Rivian will be offering a snow package, getting a "maybe soon" response, but regardly by the fall I''l be getting a set of 20" rims with good snow tires and maybe studs too....we will see.
Now I have some unused tesla chains to find a buyer for, along with plenty of other things I haven't had time to put together, because I was so lucky to get my truck early

Sponsored

R1T_CapeCod

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Saturn Sky
Occupation
CEO - Radio Broadcasting
Hey Folks,

Has anybody in MA that has taken delivery registered their vehicle themselves? Chelsea can’t get mine registered until July 6th and I was able to get an appt at the registry on June 30th.

nani

First Name
pavan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Hey Folks,

Has anybody in MA that has taken delivery registered their vehicle themselves? Chelsea can’t get mine registered until July 6th and I was able to get an appt at the registry on June 30th.
Hi, I self registered mine. Had zero issues,

1. Ask rivian delivery person to send out paperwork to you. they will have to do a physical mail with certificate of origin.
2.Book a appointment with RMV, super easy their site. you might have to check every now and then to find appointment.
3. Take all the paperwork to appointment and they will give you the plates.
4. Call Rivian up and schedule delivery.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Rivian handled all the RMV registering for me, in two days from finishing the 8 steps, I was impressed.

But I just got my excise bill from the city, $1100. Ouch. They wasted no time. And I just paid them for the tesla I traded. Shouldn't it be prorated?

cc4711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2018 Challenger Hellcat
But I just got my excise bill from the city, $1100. Ouch. They wasted no time. And I just paid them for the tesla I traded. Shouldn't it be prorated?
My town does not prorate either; yeah I figured the excise would have been high the first few years.

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Rivian handled all the RMV registering for me, in two days from finishing the 8 steps, I was impressed.

You need to file for an abatement on the Trade-in's MA excise tax and submit it to your town's board of assessors. This is not automatic and you get nothing back if you do not file the form. You can get the generic form from mass.gov or check with you town if they have something specific. I just did this for my trade in and got a few hundred back on it. You should always do this when you trade in a somewhat-new car or it's totaled out. But I suspect many people do not.

As for the excise tax on the R1T, it would have been prorated for the portion of 2022 you own it. The tax amount is $25 for every $1000 of the car's value.
Valuation = MSRP * 90%, (the 90% factor is because the 2022 R1T is new and hasn't depreciated yet. Next year, it drops to 60% and keeps dropping eventually to 10%)
Excise Tax is $25 per $1000 of valuation * (number of months you owned it / 12)
~$75K * 90% * $25/$1000 * 8months/12months = roughly $1100
Sponsored