Sponsored

Will an R1 ever be as reliable as Ridgeline?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
This is a real question for me. And I would like your thoughts on it. I understand a lot of issues we are seeing is due to R1 being a new vehicle from a new company and as Rivian get feedback from their service centers, things will improve. However, it seems like (I am not sure if this is really the case), there are too many conditions and too many sensors that can make R1 unable to perform it's primary duty; getting the owner from point A to point B. It seems like R1 is more capable than a mountain goat off road but it is having trouble getting people to work or a vacation destination on a flat road without an error requiring a flatbed. I understand the grin factor for most of you puts R1 within your risk tolerance. For me, being stranded twice in the first 10K may take all the fun out of those 0-60s. Where do you think R1 will be a year from now with the type of service calls it is getting now? How will it compare as a reliable means of transportation (not an exhilarating grin machine) to a Ridgline or a Tacoma?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I think I've had my R1T for over two months and have over 5k miles. I have taken it to multiple states. I was nervous like you for the first week or two but fully appreciate your fear and apparently your experience. Time will tell. I have a job with some flexibility but this isn't a toy, I expect it to get me to work every day. I'm still thrilled and expect I'll think that in a year.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

OP makes a good point. I too worry about this. We have our R1T for a month now and so far there have been no critical failures. However, the cameras freeze every two days or so and the gear guard locking mechanism broke a couple weeks ago. Thera are approximately 1400 miles on the odometer.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
A year from now it will be better. As good as another OEM that has been doing it for decades? Probably not. My tolerance and flexibility for problems as an early adopter is pretty high. I know one thing. The cost of what it takes to "fuel" the R1T from my solar panels will be significantly more predictable and cheaper than what it would take to fuel a Ridgeline. That control over my source of energy and cost is something the Ridgeline will never achieve - until it has a BEV version.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
It's not realistic to expect Rivian to be anywhere in the top half for build quality/service/bugs for the foreseeable future. It takes many years to dial things in.

That's not a dig on Rivian, just the reality of the industry. If reliability is one of your main metrics, you shouldn't be looking at Rivian. Especially compared to the Japanese brands.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
While waiting almost two weeks for a failed delivery caused by QC issues, I can’t stop doom scrolling this forum and freaking myself out.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The R1T will be more reliable between 60,001 miles and 175,000 miles. That's the difference in powertrain coverage.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
While waiting almost two weeks for a failed delivery caused by QC issues, I can’t stop doom scrolling this forum and freaking myself out.
Don’t do it. Next thing you know, you’ll be breaking out a ruler and measuring panel gaps and differences in individual wheel ride height.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
That is one big problem with these forums.
I consider it a major benefit. I don’t expect to get the full picture from the manufacturer alone. The reason, I am excited about R1 is the forum and the reason I am cautious, it is forum too. The fact that you get both good news and bad news here, makes me trust it’s over all content.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I consider it a major benefit. I don’t expect to get the full picture from the manufacturer alone. The reason, I am excited about R1 is the forum and the reason I am cautious, it is forum too. The fact that you get both good news and bad news here, makes me trust it’s over all content.
I've been hearing fewer and fewer horror stories of Rivian Service. I think they're getting their shit together. Things are going to break, not be assembled right occasionally. It's how quickly Rivian is able to address those that matter.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
This is a real question for me. And I would like your thoughts on it. I understand a lot of issues we are seeing is due to a R1 being a new vehicle from a new company and as Rivian get feedback from their service centers, things will improve. However, it seems like (I am not sure if this is really the case), there are too many conditions and too many sensors that can make R1 unable to perform it's primary duty; getting the owner from point A to B. It seems like R1 is more capable than a mountain goat off road but it is having trouble getting people to work or a vacation destination on a flat road without the display telling you need a flatbed. I understand the grin factor for most of you puts R1 within your risk tolerance. For me, being stranded twice in the first 10K may take all the fun out of those 0-60s. Where do you think R1 will be a year from now with the type of service calls it is getting now? How will it compare as a reliable means of transportation (not an exhilarating grin machine) compare to a Ridgline or a Tacoma?
Having owned Honda cars, motorcycles, and lawn mowers + several Acura's for over 30 years now I know where you're coming from. Honda builds high-quality vehicles. My wife and I typically only buy a new vehicle every 7-10 years so we plan and research a lot in advance. Since we have been waiting now since 2018 for our Rivian, at times she has said, let's just go get a Ridgeline. So we went and looked at a new Ridgeline, Black Edition in White. My wife is currently driving her 2012 MDX and still loves it. Getting in the 2022 Ridgeline she felt it was a somewhat dated-looking interior compared to her 2012 MDX. She also didn't like the lack of power compared to her MDX. So, for us, while we feel the Ridgeline would be a safe and very reliable choice, we are both super excited to one day get our R1T but know we may have some teething pains along the journey.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
(Slowly hiding digital calipers behind my back….)

(slowly shoving printed checklist into mouth chewing slowly and swallowing…gulp…)

Don’t do it. Next thing you know, you’ll be breaking out a ruler and measuring panel gaps and differences individual wheel ride height.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This is a real question for me. And I would like your thoughts on it. I understand a lot of issues we are seeing is due to a R1 being a new vehicle from a new company and as Rivian get feedback from their service centers, things will improve. However, it seems like (I am not sure if this is really the case), there are too many conditions and too many sensors that can make R1 unable to perform it's primary duty; getting the owner from point A to B. It seems like R1 is more capable than a mountain goat off road but it is having trouble getting people to work or a vacation destination on a flat road without the display telling you need a flatbed. I understand the grin factor for most of you puts R1 within your risk tolerance. For me, being stranded twice in the first 10K may take all the fun out of those 0-60s. Where do you think R1 will be a year from now with the type of service calls it is getting now? How will it compare as a reliable means of transportation (not an exhilarating grin machine) compare to a Ridgline or a Tacoma?
It’s a valid question, and I think the short answer has to be *no*. The reason Hondas and Toyotas are so reliable is because they rarely make big changes, which is also a main criticism of them at times like now when everyone else is pushing the switch to EVs. My Tacoma uses a slightly tweaked version of a years old engine, just like the version before mine and even the next version, which may or may not add a hybrid option. But essentially, each Tacoma is using an engine that had been around for 10 years before it got slapped in the first Tacoma of that generation.

We also don’t know the true numbers of issues Rivian is dealing with. We spend time here on the forum reading about what happens in our little bubble of Rivian fans, but we have no idea if that is representative of what is happening to the thousands of other owners who have taken delivery so far. I feel like Rivian is handling most of the problems pretty well. And I also feel like Rivian did their best to design and test their vehicles over a period of years, unlike some of these other EV startups like Fisker or Canoo, who are supposed to start delivering next year and have barely been seen out on the roads at all.
Sponsored