Sponsored

Will 20" tires be noisier inside cabin than 21/22"?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Lots of discussion here about capabilities of each tire. But I'm used to offroad tires being noisy.

Are we likely to be able to discern a difference in noise level from inside the cabin (with windows closed) between the 20" A/T and the other All Seasons?

And if so, moderate or significant difference? I want to enjoy my Meridian sound without blasting it. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Most likely. Tire noise is transmitted not only through the air outside the vehicle, but also via tire vibration being "transmitted" through the suspension components into the body.

I can tell you from experience that on vehicles I have owned, there definitely is more interior noise from AT than All Seasons. When AT tires are new, they are at their most quiet point. As they wear they get noisier.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Those at the recent test drive event reported the cabin was extremely quiet with virtually zero tire noise from the 20s.

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain
Those at the recent test drive event reported the cabin was extremely quiet with virtually zero tire noise from the 20s.
Yes but they were most likely on newer still flat surface tires with minimal turning tread wear.
Should be quiet until worn a bit.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yes but they were most likely on newer still flat surface tires with minimal turning tread wear.
Should be quiet until worn a bit.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I was pleasantly surprised in Normal at how little tire and road noise we heard, both on the straightways and in the corners with the A/T tires. While there was conversation and giggling going on, the radio was off, and I still remember remarking how quiet it was. Granted, we had the windows up, so we were sheltered by the acoustic glass. That said, with no engine noise and very little wind noise, there was no discernible thrum or whine from those tires.

Maybe somebody has a great picture of the tread pattern of the A/T tires, but I didn't find any in a short search. I remember looking them over and noting that the treadblocks don't have the huge gaps often seen on A/T tires. Again, working from memory, it seems that the treadblocks just zigzag continuously back-and-forth so it's minimized the pounding effect that larger gaps might present.

At least my recall from friends' vehicles has been A/T tires that reminded me more of the old knobbies on dirt bikes - large treadblocks with sizable gaps between them. As I wrote in another thread a couple of days ago, I have neighbors that I can hear through my closed windows at home as they drive by and cruise around the corner with some more aggressive A/T alternatives. I didn't note a similar hummimg or whining sound coming from the Rivians in Normal.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was pleasantly surprised in Normal at how little tire and road noise we heard, both on the straightways and in the corners with the A/T tires. While there was conversation and giggling going on, the radio was off, and I still remember remarking how quiet it was. Granted, we had the windows up, so we were sheltered by the acoustic glass. That said, with no engine noise and very little wind noise, there was no discernible thrum or whine from those tires.

Maybe somebody has a great picture of the tread pattern of the A/T tires, but I didn't find any in a short search. I remember looking them over and noting that the treadblocks don't have the huge gaps often seen on A/T tires. Again, working from memory, it seems that the treadblocks just zigzag continuously back-and-forth so it's minimized the pounding effect that larger gaps might present.

At least my recall from friends' vehicles has been A/T tires that reminded me more of the old knobbies on dirt bikes - large treadblocks with sizable gaps between them. As I wrote in another thread a couple of days ago, I have neighbors that I can hear through my closed windows at home as they drive by and cruise around the corner with some more aggressive A/T alternatives. I didn't note a similar hummimg or whining sound coming from the Rivians in Normal.
Rivian R1T R1S Will 20" tires be noisier inside cabin than 21/22"? 1631083217993

From the Motor Trend Article

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

The other thing to remember with EV's is not only is there no engine noise but you have the battery pack between you and the road. Road noise is more muted than in a similar ICE because of all that material between you and the road below. An EV with acoustic glass and the windows up is amazingly isolating because of the sound dampening from so many places. I expect on cheaper cars the vibration and sound dampening from the wheel wells will be the main causes of in cabin sound, but I would hope on a 75k car that those sound sources were considered and handled well.

EDIT: That said the AT 20's will still be louder than the other options, it just is unlikely to rise to the level of annoying.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Lots of discussion here about capabilities of each tire. But I'm used to offroad tires being noisy.

Are we likely to be able to discern a difference in noise level from inside the cabin (with windows closed) between the 20" A/T and the other All Seasons?
Yes
And if so, moderate or significant difference? I want to enjoy my Meridian sound without blasting it. :)
I predict it's significant, but I doubt so loud it interferes with your music.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yes. But probably not by much.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The other thing to remember with EV's is not only is there no engine noise but you have the battery pack between you and the road. Road noise is more muted than in a similar ICE because of all that material between you and the road below. An EV with acoustic glass and the windows up is amazingly isolating because of the sound dampening from so many places. I expect on cheaper cars the vibration and sound dampening from the wheel wells will be the main causes of in cabin sound, but I would hope on a 75k car that those sound sources were considered and handled well.

EDIT: That said the AT 20's will still be louder than the other options, it just is unlikely to rise to the level of annoying.
I predict that all three tire types will be really quiet, with the 21's likely the quietest of the bunch. While we may not have ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) all Launch Edition vehicles come with AMP (Actual Music Propagation). It's called Meridian Elevation.

Crank it up and, POOF!, no more road noise, no more wind noise, and, if loud enough, no more passenger noise. Even if your peripheral vision and rearview mirror indicate your passengers' mouths are moving, Rivian has found a way to block out even the most annoying sounds within the R1 cabins.

As the opening line goes in Sweet Home Alabama, "One, two, three. Turn it up!"

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I was pretty truck-star-struck during my test drive and the windows were cracked for the 0 to 60 portions so wind noise might have covered but I didn't notice any wheel noise at all with the 20s at lower speeds. Being new to EVs, however, I was very aware of how quiet the truck is.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

The A/T on the Rivian are definitely less aggressive tread than other A/T tires I've seen. I'm sure that's a tradeoff between noise/rolling resistance and offroad grip. They know 90-95% of driving will be on road so maximize range and minimize noise but they needed to offer an A/T tire so this is probably a good choice. For that 5-10% that does a lot of off roading I'm sure they will upgrade to a more aggressive tire, knowing they lose some range and increase noise.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: