Sponsored

Will 20" tires be noisier inside cabin than 21/22"?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The 20" tires are very "not aggressive". I wish they offered 20" highway tires, but I suspect the noise will be more but minimal.

Why it's a $2,000 option is beyond me. They shouldn't really cost much more than the highway tires.
Sponsored

• Love
Reactions: Max

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Why it's a $2,000 option is beyond me. They shouldn't really cost much more than the highway tires.
It's not the price of the tires so much as the cost of going from flow formed to forged wheels.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It's not the price of the tires so much as the cost of going from flow formed to forged wheels.
Wheels have that cost differential? Wow.

I would really like to have a 20" wheel with all seasons, even if not flow formed. 20" tires in the same size as ram 1500 are a dime a dozen, and you can get some long range Michelins. The oddball 21" seems challenging to find.

Flexia

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
So the Pirelli AT looks like it's going to be a new SKU that's for the Rivian. I'm sure these will have a sound barrier in the tire. All evs have tires with foam in them for the sound noise isolation. Even some ice vehicles use them to for quite rides

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The 20" tires are very "not aggressive". I wish they offered 20" highway tires, but I suspect the noise will be more but minimal.

Not only for function and range but also for look. I know I must be in minority with the way all manufacturers are going but even on sport cars, large wheels and small tires does not look great to me. But on a truck it absolutely looks ridiculous. Again, I know there are ton of people that like it that way so having a choice would be nice so everyone can get what they want. I want maximum range with meaty quiet tires. For a vehicle that is shooting to have it all, this is the only thing that stands in the way and it seems like it is an easy fix.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Not only for function and range but also for look. I know I must be in minority with the way all manufacturers are going but even on sport cars, large wheels and small tires does not look great to me. But on a truck it absolutely looks ridiculous. Again, I know there are ton of people that like it that way so having a choice would be nice so everyone can get what they want. I want maximum range with meaty quiet tires. For a vehicle that is shooting to have it all, this is the only thing that stands in the way and it seems like it is an easy fix.
A part of me dies every time I see a lifted pickup with huge diameter forged wheels and skinny tires. And of course they’re always offset a ridiculous amount too, so 1/3 of the tire is exposed outside the wheel wells.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Wheels have that cost differential? Wow.
I take it you never shopped around for rims for you vehicle? Those alone (tires not included) cost a good chunk of $$. Just look any type up and you'll be floored at their rates.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I take it you never shopped around for rims for you vehicle? Those alone (tires not included) cost a good chunk of $$. Just look any type up and you'll be floored at their rates.
Right, but I was surprised 20" are that much more expensive (keep in mind you're giving up the 21"). If I price out a Ram 1500 / F150, there's tire options, but they're mostly +/- $150-400.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I do believe that forged 20" wheels cost Rivian more than cast 21" wheels, but I do not believe that has anything to do with the price premium Rivian is charging for the 20" wheels.

Or you think the black paint on the black wheels costs Rivian a significant fraction of the $1700 extra they are charging for the black version. I doubt it costs Rivian $17.00. And yes, I looked at aftermarket wheels, I did not see black wheels priced any higher than other colors.

The price of the 20" option is just a calculation of how can they maximize their profit. They have done market research and found that if they charge less more people choose the option, but not enough so to offset the lost revenue from the lower price. And I wouldn't expect any vehicle manufacture to do anything else.
Sponsored

Last edited: