Sponsored

Why the 6-month delay from Oct ‘21 to Mar ‘22?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
From the recently shared delivery windows it looks like customer deliveries of Launch Edition R1T’s won’t happen until March 2022.

What do you think is going on behind the scenes to cause this delay?
Sponsored

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
From the recently shared delivery windows, it looks like customer deliveries of Launch Edition R1T’s won’t happen until March 2022.

What do you think is going on behind the scenes?
They clearly were not ready to deliver on time and withheld the info until after the IPO. They could leave themselves open to Lawsuits from Investors. Stock is down again today and the Company has lost a lot of respect for continuing to not be trustworthy. They obviously knew two weeks ago( pre IPO)there would be delays as did everyone on this forum. Maybe they are going to run a 60 second Commercial tomorrow during the football games introducing their team of Guides. They still have not announced that the Guide Contacts are not taking place. Unfortunately up until yesterday I answered every Spam call. I got offers from three companies to extend my Car Warranty and two calls from Financial people looking for me to invest in new companies. What is such a shame is they have a great product but just do not know how to Communicate with the Customer. Not a good sign.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey at least we made about $7000 (on paper) or more if you bought in to the IPO!

Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if it's all about this "chip" shortage still. Working in IT sales I can tell you first hand that devices that rely on special "chips" that pre-covid would take 1-2 weeks for delivery after an order are taking 250+ days (even seen 350+) to deliver now after an order. It's crazy delayed.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

At this rate I may get my Ram 1500 EV before my R1T.

/s

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Because building vehicles, quality vehicles with consistency and in quantity is hard for a brand new manufacturer. This in combination with various supply constraints industry wide are affecting production ramp up for consumer (aka non-employee) deliveries.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

They could leave themselves open to Lawsuits from Investors. Stock is down again today and the Company has lost a lot of respect for continuing to not be trustworthy. They obviously knew two weeks ago( pre IPO)there would be delays as did everyone on this forum.
Trust me, they probably have a team of lawyers, I highly doubt they are in danger of lawsuits, just angry/disappointed potential customers. Give me a delay over an incomplete or shoddy product anytime. Yes the stock may be down, but I don't think anyone is surprised its becoming a realistic value. A few weeks ago Rivian themselves, and major banks and investors, thought they were worth about $78/share. Stock jumped on speculation.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

My guess is its a combination of things going on.

1. Chip shortage
  2. Supply chain issues
  3. Battery production (EVs are in demand globally, which means battery production is likely constrained)
  4. Production hell (first time car maker, learning curve)
  5. Design issues (tonneau cover, UI, Driver+, rust near tailgate - these are just some of the issues that's been brought up across forums, FB, YT). With more of these being discovered by beta testers (cough-cough), employee deliveries, they might be trying to address them in design and/or production.
  6. Battery optimization - i think they are using the employee deliveries to optimize battery management and charging curves. I'm sure they collected a lot from the past year or so of testing on mules but real world, at larger scale, is what really brings out useful data. Thats better for us long term and sucks short term.
  7. Amazon vans - there's definitely a high priority on this, even more so now that its a public company. Fail Amazon and Rivian could come completely crashing down.
  8. Too many eggs in different baskets (R1T, R1S, Amazon Van, insurance, RAN, mobile service, Fleet, IPO, etc). Maybe they were too ambitious all at once... somethings gotta give, right?
  9. Organizational challenges. The discrimination lawsuit points to some issues internally. Hard to believe its a single, isolated incident and probably a symptom of other issues. Something they need to go through and hopefully come out better for.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Trust me, they probably have a team of lawyers, I highly doubt they are in danger of lawsuits, just angry/disappointed potential customers. Give me a delay over an incomplete or shoddy product anytime. Yes the stock may be down, but I don't think anyone is surprised its becoming a realistic value. A few weeks ago Rivian themselves, and major banks and investors, thought they were worth about $78/share. Stock jumped on speculation.
Agreed. Strictly speaking, I don't see any reason you could reasonably claim a delay based on the IPO. They may (or may not) this their 2021 goals (not guarantees), and they revised the S-1 to clear our preorders by end of 2023. There's a semi-truck hole you could run through with interpretations in that.

Hemlock

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel, 2016 Honda Civic Touri
Occupation
Lodge host, volunteer firefighter
Leading up to an IPO, there are umpteen influential entities (underwriters, private investors, etc) and people with long, impressive-sounding titles drowning company executives and entire departments with asks and wants for financial statements, marketing material, legal documents, forward statements... and then there's agreeing on valuation. ?

It can be the most exhausting, maddening, soul-crushing experience for someone, or a small team of someones, to get through without succumbing to a little poor judgment.

JR and friends may be really nice people with the most praiseworthy intentions to bring Rivian to the masses. But, I have no doubt they've stretched the truth in multiple arenas. Maybe it's greed. Maybe it's incompetence. Maybe it's just to get the company public so they can take a holiday somewhere with no internet access.

Unfortunately, appeasing the market going forward now will continue to test the executives' judgements and that will likely leave us all guessing what tomorrow will bring for our orders, for many tomorrows to come.

It's hard to be patient. But this waiting too will pass.

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2022 Model S, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Because building vehicles, quality vehicles with consistency and in quantity is hard for a brand new manufacturer. This in combination with various supply constraints industry wide are affecting production ramp up for consumer (aka non-employee) deliveries.
Beyond pandemic related constraints, they’re having the normal issues associated with launching a brand new product. It ain’t an easy thing to do. That being said, I would not conclude that these delays will result in increased quality. There will still be issues once the cars are delivered, some issues that they knew about and others they’ll discover along the way. Again, part of the course when launching something net new. I was an early Tesla client. It was the exact same thing… Delays on first deliveries and a healthy dose of post delivery hiccups. IMO, this is not necessarily about upping quality but likely about actually delivering what they promised.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Why no deliveries in Jan/Feb 2022? You guys think they need those two months for employee deliveries?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Why no deliveries in Jan/Feb 2022? You guys think they need those two months for employee deliveries?
Someone posted an email with jan/feb.

Seems to be just a few people in that time window
Sponsored