Sponsored

Why the 6-month delay from Oct ‘21 to Mar ‘22?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I found myself wondering if they might need one more winter to get the charging curves right.

Also I'll bet they're improving various parts that others have mentioned -- cameras, tonneau, the cheap latches on the gear tunnel platforms (that you pull to access the first aid kit, for example), maybe some essential software tweaks.

Then there's the issue of needing service centers, call center employees, service technicians.

Plus the mass production ramp up.

It's certainly understandable that customer deliveries will come slow. Better to get it right.
This would be great if true. The other end of the spectrum is they have their hands full mass producing what's already been long "locked in" and only fixing things necessary to function (tanneau cover). Hopefully reality is somewhere in between.
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I don't understand this entire thread. There wasn't a delay from October, because October was never a thing at a macro level. They have only ever communicated two things regarding timelines on production - that it would start in Sept (it did) and that they were striving for LE to conclude by end of Spring.

There is only a small group of people that can definitively say they have experienced a delay, and that is LE R1S that got a date between July and September (vs. by end of Spring or 6/21). So, as of right now, they are expecting to be probably ~90% accurate on that original forecast (not a commitment or deadline, a forecast).

For non-LE, regardless of the website saying "starting in Jan 2022", no one had any guidance of when they could expect their delivery (as opposed to the Spring for LE) and it didn't even have a bookend to that guidance to know when the latest possible date could be (It seems as though some people literally thought they would just vomit out thousands of vehicles in one month and so everyone was getting theirs in January). It's a mistake to assume that you must be first in line until you are told that is the case. It's kind of like how the majority of people assume their kid is smarter than average....

From the information we have, I don't think you can conclude anything has changed with regards to total production expected through 2022. All they did is provide detail on the timing of how that production is going to be distributed.

It would make an interesting wager - who will deliver more vehicles in 2022 - Ford Lightning or R1T/R1S? I'm still taking the latter if anyone wants to take the former.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
They clearly were not ready to deliver on time and withheld the info until after the IPO. They could leave themselves open to Lawsuits from Investors.
What are you talking about??? What has changed from the information provided in the S1 that would be cause for a lawsuit?

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

Is anyone else losing the excitement that Rivian brought in the beginning? My biggest concern as we wait 3 years now for this vehicle, is dated battery tech and poor charging rates. The cost of EVs will continue to drop and this rivian seems less and less like a premium vehicle. From cheap plastics on the gear tunnel, reduction in quality of the frunk interior, removal of tinting roof glass, removal of 180degree tailgate, added subscriptions for "features" but no level 4 or 5 self driving.

What are we really paying 80k for at this point?
Lucid has better motor tech and MUCH better battery setups with very fast charging (which these heavy inefficient vehicles need desperately. I know Lucid costs a good bit more but still.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Is anyone else losing the excitement that Rivian brought in the beginning? My biggest concern as we wait 3 years now for this vehicle, is dated battery tech and poor charging rates. The cost of EVs will continue to drop and this rivian seems less and less like a premium vehicle. From cheap plastics on the gear tunnel, reduction in quality of the frunk interior, removal of tinting roof glass, removal of 180degree tailgate, added subscriptions for "features" but no level 4 or 5 self driving.

What are we really paying 80k for at this point?
Lucid has better motor tech and MUCH better battery setups with very fast charging (which these heavy inefficient vehicles need desperately. I know Lucid costs a good bit more but still.
Tesla at its best demonstrates continuous improvements month to month, not only in software downloads, but in improved production processes. This can be the norm for Rivian too. Since Toyota is great because of its reliability — Rivian should aspire to surpass both Tesla and Toyota in innovation and durability. Pressing limits and mastering basics simultaneously will insure Rivian’s future.

Sponsored

JoeRMV

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Is it possible that Rivian may not be able to mass produce their vehicles (ever) and end up out of business or bought out?

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Is it possible that Rivian may not be able to mass produce their vehicles (ever) and end up out of business or bought out?
Anything is possible. But it’s highly unlikely given their funding, their backers, and the IPO. Stranger things have happened, though.
Sponsored