Why is towing capacity so much different then R1T?

Jbordinhao

First Name
Jansen
Reaction score
First Name
Jansen
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Tesla Model 3
why is towing capacity so much different then R1T? Is it due to the extra weight of the vehicle compared? Really wanted to go SUV route, but I need more towing capacity.

Advertisement

PoorPilot

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
I'm not going to try and guess why the towing capacities are different, but what exactly are you trying to tow and how far? I know my X is capable of towing way more than the rated 5000lbs (there are videos of a X pulling 250,000+lbs with no problems), but the hitch and the hardware involved can only handle so much. I've pulled my boat with my X (4400lbs dry weight + trailer + fuel + water + everything else you need for a weekend on the water) and had no issues. I'm guessing the total weight was around 6500-7000lbs, but I was only pulling it a few miles from storage to launch.

OP
Jbordinhao

Jbordinhao

First Name
Jansen
Reaction score
First Name
Jansen
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Tesla Model 3
Travel trailer is 6,700 lbs dry. My gmc tows 9600, I have plenty of room for water, cargo etc. I like knowing I have an extra 2k lbs if I need it, really notice a difference uphill.

PoorPilot

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
Sounds like the R1T would be better for your needs based on current specs, but you have to worry about range while towing something that heavy. The effects of range and towing has been discussed numerous times, so depending on the frequency and distance your planning on traveling, you need to weigh your options.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sounds like the R1T would be better for your needs based on current specs, but you have to worry about range while towing something that heavy. The effects of range and towing has been discussed numerous times, so depending on the frequency and distance your planning on traveling, you need to weigh your options.
Lol @ your possibly unintended pun about towing capacity, "weigh your options".

Aurum

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicles
Tacoma
Yeah, RJ and a few other employees of Rivian have mentioned the towing capacity for both vehicles far exceeds the stated rating since there is so much electric torque available. However, he said they had to keep vehicle's range in mind. You might be able to tow 10k pounds, but then only have 50-75 miles of range for the output required. Whereas if you only tow at the rated capacity, you might get 250 miles of range. This is a lot more reasonable.

Advertisement

Advertisement