Sponsored

Why is there a dead peddle on the drivers side but not the passengers? Can it be removed?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I generally dislike these, although they're ever so common on FWD cars. Is there a way to remove it? I noticed it is *only* on the drivers side, which is odd.

Rivian R1T R1S Why is there a dead peddle on the drivers side but not the passengers?  Can it be removed? 1635703297144
Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
They're usually only on the driver side. I don't think it's that odd, per say.

Nobody has their truck, so nobody can answer your question. We can just guess. Just like you. I doubt there's a good way to remove it and still have a clean finish. Not to mention all the floor mats you find will assume it'll be there.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
No worries... I usually only see these on fwd cars when necessary for the independent suspension and transaxle.

Pickups and rwd cars almost never have them. I like to laymy foot flat.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've always used the dead pedal as way to readjust/stretch in the seat on long drives (that's what my old man said they were for). I've had them in my previous SUVs, 2 seater RWD sport cars, and 4 door sedans.

Never occured to me that it might have been a by-product of trying to for something in the volume behind it.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
No worries... I usually only see these on fwd cars when necessary for the independent suspension and transaxle.

Pickups and rwd cars almost never have them. I like to laymy foot flat.
Dead pedals generally reduce muscle stress by giving your leg something to push on so each foot has a similar angle. They've got no correlation to front wheel drive.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I found a dead pedal useful when transitioning from a manual transmission to an automatic. It gave my left foot something to naturally hit without actually impacting my ability to drive the vehicle. After a little while I had transitioned (my muscle memory went away) and I no longer use it.

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I found a dead pedal useful when transitioning from a manual transmission to an automatic. It gave my left foot something to naturally hit without actually impacting my ability to drive the vehicle. After a little while I had transitioned (my muscle memory went away) and I no longer use it.
IDK, I guess I'm going to find it a bit awkward. I normally like my feet flat like sitting at a table when sitting "upright" in a suv. Or I stretch my leg. Rarely do I use the gas pedal either, 25,000 miles/year highway is the norm so both feet sit flat. Mostly all on cruise control. I don't want my right foot flat, my left one not.

Usually its something that makes me grab a different mid-sized rental car or SUV. My left foot will sit sideways between the brake pedal and dead pedal, unless it's just far enough back there that it's out of the way and I can sit them flat :)

I don't want it on the drivers side for the same reason there isn't one on the passengers side. It's when I see them on both sides (for the wheel well) that I usually grab another car.

I'll try it, but I don't see them in tacoma/f150/ram/etc.

The ridgeline does have one, but easily removable:

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...idge-last-week-alot-more-leg-room-now.120681/

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/dead-pedalectomy.199889/

Some people may like it, I just want to make sure it's an optional accessory I can remove :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My tacoma has a dead pedal and I use it to get leverage when I want/need (especially useful when off road)
Sadly, your right, they added it in later models. It looks far less "large" though. And easily removable :)

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dead-pedal-delete-my-favorite-free-mod.594759/

Really, it doesn't look anything like the huge Rivian one, but I won't know how bad it is until I sit in the Rivian I guess. In the small-medium SUVs there's no way to avoid it without leaning your foot sideways.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

My tacoma has a dead pedal and I use it to get leverage when I want/need (especially useful when off road)
This is what it is for. When doing the first drive event at Normal, the drive coach made sure that I adjusted my seat so that my back was against the seat and my left foot braced on the dead pedal.

Very useful for things like the dry creek bed drive and the angled corner turn.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
A friend of mine just paid a silly amount of money for an Alpina dead pedal for their E30...which is not front wheel drive.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Dead pedals help brace a driver either off road as noted above, or more originally for hauling ass. This is why they are located on the driver’s side. It is a performance add not a FWD add.
Sponsored