Sponsored

Why is RIVN market cap ($12 bln) only equal to cash on hand??

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Sadly lots of companies are like that, the market is irrational some times IMO.

I am still hung up on the fact that Lucid has a larger market cap than Rivian despite a much worst financial/demand picture and with a product that isn't compelling as any of Rivians (again my opinion).

I guess hold and be patient....
Lucid, I think, is not long for this world unfortunately.

They are in town doing test drives at a local shopping center area. Their display vehicle has interior trim that's coming apart in multiple spots and some really bad misaligned panels like the trunk. I need to add the software was so laggy. I could not imagine using that every day.

Another guy was sitting in the car as well and noted the same things. This was right after the sales person told us how they are really focused on quality and that's what sets them apart from other EV brands.

🤦‍♂️

My primary concern is that if lucid goes under next year that it hurts confidence in Rivian unless they are just having a tremendous year.

I agree with your opinion. A large, extremely expensive sedan wasn't the right call. They should have launched with the SUV instead.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I look at the current price as a gift, I’ve been buying heavier than I planned. I’m not playing the momentum game.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Lucid, I think, is not long for this world unfortunately.

They are in town doing test drives at a local shopping center area. Their display vehicle has interior trim that's coming apart in multiple spots and some really bad misaligned panels like the trunk. I need to add the software was so laggy. I could not imagine using that every day.

Another guy was sitting in the car as well and noted the same things. This was right after the sales person told us how they are really focused on quality and that's what sets them apart from other EV brands.

🤦‍♂️

My primary concern is that if lucid goes under next year that it hurts confidence in Rivian unless they are just having a tremendous year.

I agree with your opinion. A large, extremely expensive sedan wasn't the right call. They should have launched with the SUV instead.
I don't think Lucid tanking really impacts Rivian. What impacts Rivian is whether they can execute on their production targets and whether they can keep demand as high as or higher than supply once they ramp production.

Also, they need to make money, which means they need to build, build, build.

Meanwhile - I absolutely loathe, with a passion, sedans. I don't understand why OEMS keep introducing 🤬 sedans into the market.

Out of all of the vehicle types (hatchbacks, wagons, cross-overs, SUVs, trucks) they are the least practical outside of sports sedans or convertibles that clearly have an intended demographic/market.

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
I don't think Lucid tanking really impacts Rivian.
. . .
Meanwhile - I absolutely loathe, with a passion, sedans. I don't understand why OEMS keep introducing 🤬 sedans into the market.
. . .
Efficiency. You can't move 4 adults in a forward motion at 80mph as efficiently as in a sedan.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Efficiency. You can't move 4 adults in a forward motion at 80mph as efficiently as in a sedan.
Huh?

The sedanness (yes, I just made that up) has nothing to do with vehicle efficiency. I can show you plenty of inefficient sedans relative to hatchback counterparts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Huh?

The sedanness (yes, I just made that up) has nothing to do with vehicle efficiency. I can show you plenty of inefficient sedans relative to hatchback counterparts.
All things equal (except shape), sedan has less air resistance due to low profile. Lucid chose most efficient EV shape.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

All things equal (except shape), sedan has less air resistance due to low profile. Lucid chose most efficient EV shape.
Drag coefficient isn't the only metric of efficiency. Hatchbacks usually have less weight which makes up for the marginally higher drag.

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
So did Tesla
Drag coefficient isn't the only metric of efficiency. Hatchbacks usually have less weight which makes up for the marginally higher drag.
Weight not relevant... once you reach 80mph, shape is the only consideration.

Also, practicality aside, HBs have a drop off at the rear, which creates drag. Hyundai IONIQ6 is the most efficient shape in cardom.

Rivian R1T R1S Why is RIVN market cap ($12 bln) only equal to cash on hand?? 1685717926751

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
I have a Tesla model S which is a large heavy hatchback sedan. Gets 3 or 4 miles / kWh. Lots of room for people and stuff. Regularly go camping in it.
Love it.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

One of the lowest drag coefficient vehicles ever designed was a hatchback.

Volkswagen XL1 Hatchback. Drag Coefficient: .19
Lucid Air Sedan. Drag Coefficient: .2

Rivian R1T R1S Why is RIVN market cap ($12 bln) only equal to cash on hand?? 1685718081234

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

So did Tesla

Weight not relevant... once you reach 80mph, shape is the only consideration.

Also, practicality aside, HBs have a drop off at the rear, which creates drag. Hyundai IONIQ6 is the most efficient shape in cardom.

1685717926751.png
Weight is irrelevant?

So if I drive a 20,000 pound vehicle with the same drag coefficient vs a 5,000 pound vehicle - all other things being equal, I will have the same efficiency at 80 mph?

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
Weight is irrelevant?

So if I drive a 20,000 pound vehicle with the same drag coefficient vs a 5,000 pound vehicle - all other things being equal, I will have the same efficiency at 80 mph?
Important to remember that drag coefficient is a ratio to frontal area. 1.0 being a brick.
When comparing, keep the size of the brick in mind.

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Weight is irrelevant?

Correct! I never said how fast you get to 80mph. But once there, the weight is already moving at 80, so weight not relevant.

EDIT: Well... technically, there is more weight on the wheel bearings so there is a teensy bit more resistance on the heavier vehicle. But hats off to well greased modern wheel bearings!

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs