First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Rivian takes it licks for a variety of things, but thankfully, we’ve not seen horror stories like this:

Rivian R1T R1S Why I’m content waiting for delivery… 254D166B-8CAE-4D42-9D28-169672ABE461
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Somewhat relatedly I was looking at a VW ID.4 as a holdover and subscribed to r/vwiD4Owners/ which I have been reading off and on since thanksgiving. Been seeing a lot of software and electrical problems. At first I chalked it up to selection bias (those with issues speak up). But lately the severity and volume of complaints has me a bit spooked. At this point my plan is just to await the Rivian. I do suspect Rivian, even as a brand new company, will be better at software. VW seems to be underinvesting in software.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Heh, yup. This is exactly why folks who think that Rivian is really far behind in terms of software need to take a look around. ALL the EVs out there, for the most part, have some pretty big software and quality issues. Most of them will get it sorted with time. Some will not and go away. My money, quite literally, is on Rivian being a company who gets it sorted.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Somewhat relatedly I was looking at a VW ID.4 as a holdover and subscribed to r/vwiD4Owners/ which I have been reading off and on since thanksgiving. Been seeing a lot of software and electrical problems. At first I chalked it up to selection bias (those with issues speak up). But lately the severity and volume of complaints has me a bit spooked. At this point my plan is just to await the Rivian. I do suspect Rivian, even as a brand new company, will be better at software. VW seems to be underinvesting in software.
Im pretty sure the "electrical" problems are selection bias. (Id.4 owner).

The software is definitely a bit... inconsistent and they have really basic bugs that they havent fixed, because they haven't pushed an update to the U.S. yet. Nothing show stopping at all for most people. Day to say I don't have any real software issues personally. However, their inability to push a single update, or provide any sort of U.S. timeline for an update is absurd.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Im pretty sure the "electrical" problems are selection bias. (Id.4 owner).

The software is definitely a bit... inconsistent and they have really basic bugs that they havent fixed, because they haven't pushed an update to the U.S. yet. Nothing show stopping at all for most people. Day to say I don't have any real software issues personally. However, their inability to push a single update, or provide any sort of U.S. timeline for an update is absurd.
I for one am weary of a VW that is *entirely* made of electrical things. It’s said that Robert Bosch and Joseph Lucas are cousins ?

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Our ID.4 periodically claims it has electrical problems. The alerts all disappeared on their own no later than the next start. So far, we haven't bothered taking it in and trying to explain the transient errors.

I blame buggy software for the experience.

And don't get me started on how awful the lane-keep assistance is in the rain or when there are patch marks parallel to the lane lines pretty much all the time.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Our ID.4 periodically claims it has electrical problems. The alerts all disappeared on their own no later than the next start. So far, we haven't bothered taking it in and trying to explain the transient errors.

And don't get me started on how awful the lane-keep assistance is in the rain or when there are patch marks parallel to the lane lines pretty much all the time.
It’s not a VW if the CEL isn’t on

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I find it pretty good for me other than the rain and at night.

Are you referring to the display warnings saying shit (like front collision avoidance) isn't working as "electrical issues"?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I find it pretty good for me other than the rain and at night.

Are you referring to the display warnings saying shit (like front collision avoidance) isn't working as "electrical issues"?
Nah, frequently get something to the effect of "the 12v system is not operating properly." Have also gotten one or two about the "high voltage electrical system is not operating properly" and I want to say something more vague like "electrical problem". But at least three separate diagnostic messages that specifically described electrical issues.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Nah, frequently get something to the effect of "the 12v system is not operating properly." Have also gotten one or two about the "high voltage electrical system is not operating properly" and I want to say something more vague like "electrical problem". But at least three separate diagnostic messages that specifically described electrical issues.
Weird.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Which reminds me. Apparently at least some region of Canada doesn't have a lemon law...? And this fella on Twitter was begging Elon to fix/buy back his model y because Tesla can't fix his heat pump despite several attempts. Fun times.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Unfortunately we're 100% going to see these same stories about Rivians. Every first production EV has lemons and Rivian won't be any different.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We, too, are content to wait for our Rivian. Even though we have an early pre-order date (Nov. 29, 2018), our delivery date is 1H23. This is because our R1T is an Explore Package, which is at the very bottom of Rivian's priority list.

We are looking at our "last served" situation as an advantage. We will have a year or so to look it over. In addition to seeing all the threads and posts on these Forums, we will have an up close and personal experience with a Rivian R1S. Our youngest son, Michael, ordered a Launch Edition R1S on the same date as our pre-order. Mike has been notified that he can expect delivery in April/May, 2022.

This will give us a year long hands-on tryout of an actual Rivian. We will have the opportunity to drive it and tow our 7,000# Airstream travel trailer with it. We will also get to see how it performs and holds up during its first year.

SuEllyn and Brian

Last edited:

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Unfortunately we're 100% going to see these same stories about Rivians. Every first production EV has lemons and Rivian won't be any different.
100% agree, my only hope is that they can demonstrate improvement as time goes on. Consistency is the one thing I'd like to see them do that's outside of the Telsa playbook.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
We, too, are content to wait for our Rivian. Even though we have an early pre-order date (Nov. 29, 2018), our delivery date is H123. This is because our R1T is an Explore Package, which is at the very bottom of Rivian's priority list.

We are looking at our "last served" situation as an advantage. We will have a year or so to look it over. In addition to seeing all the threads and posts on these Forums, we will have an up close and personal experience with a Rivian R1S. Our youngest son, Michael, ordered a Launch Edition R1S on the same date as our pre-order. Mike has been notified that he can expect delivery in April/May, 2022.

This will give us a year long hands-on tryout of an actual Rivian. We will have the opportunity to drive it and tow our 7,000# Airstream travel trailer with it. We will also get to see how it performs and holds up during its first year.

SuEllyn and Brian
I am VERY interested in reading about your experience with your son’s R1S. I am waiting for R1S Explore like you and plan to tow with it as well.
Sponsored