Sponsored

Why do we have to have the image of the truck in the center of our display like Tesla?

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Is there actually any point to having this? I thought it was dumb in my Tesla and it’s still dumb in my Rivian. Why do I care what the truck thinks is a lane marker or another car? If I’m looking down there (instead of out my windows) to identify these items, I have larger problems. I’d love to see a better use of all that beautiful screen in front of me than what we have. Thoughts as to why the UI designers feel this graphic and animation is at all worthwhile?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is there actually any point to having this? I thought it was dumb in my Tesla and it’s still dumb in my Rivian. Why do I care what the truck thinks is a lane marker or another car? If I’m looking down there (instead of out my windows) to identify these items, I have larger problems. I’d love to see a better use of all that beautiful screen in front of me than what we have. Thoughts as to why the UI designers feel this graphic and animation is at all worthwhile?
It is the display feedback for driver assistance. Even if it is not on it is using this to determine if it can be available to use. Sure it could do it behind the scene but you would have no feedback.

I find it quite useful to see what it is using to judge distances. I do not have the Rivian yet but it worked similar in my test drive. The Tesla shows blue what it is using be it the road lines or lead vehicle.

Edit: I assume Rivian does this as well. The Tesla uses red and yellow lines to show when objects are close to the car covering some blind spots.

Last edited:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Is there actually any point to having this? I thought it was dumb in my Tesla and it’s still dumb in my Rivian. Why do I care what the truck thinks is a lane marker or another car?
^^thank you!!^^

and... if they are going to have the truck at least render it in the same color as my vehicle.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I ordered the wrong color.
Is the picture of yours a truck in RC? If not, I'm willing to bet the representation is supposed to be in the color of your truck and you can get Rivian to make it so.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Is the picture of yours a truck in RC? If not, I'm willing to bet the representation is supposed to be in the color of your truck and you can get Rivian to make it so.
mine shows a green R1S when it should be limestone.

OP
OP

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
It is the display feedback for driver assistance. Even if it is not on it is using this to determine if it can be available to use. Sure it could do it behind the scene but you would have no feedback.

I find it quite useful to see what it is using to judge distances. I do not have the Rivian yet but it worked similar in my test drive. The Tesla shows blue what it is using be it the road lines or lead vehicle.

Edit: I assume Rivian does this as well. The Tesla uses red and yellow lines to show when objects are close to the car covering some blind spots.
Then have something turn on when using driver assistance features or the autopilot or whatever. I rarely use those. But sure, the indicators for parking distances is nice

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I find it amusing only because it’s so radically unreliable compared to what actual surroundings are - especially at stoplights. It shows cars moving side to side when they are still, box trucks when actually a small car, and motorcycles instead of pedestrians (and vice versa). It’s so comically bad that I find myself recording it when at stop lights just to send to RIvian as trouble tickets when it’s egregious.

What‘s not funny is when ACC or D+ misidentifies things (trees, etc) as threats and slams on the brakes. NOT cool at all - which makes it largely unusable for me where I live.

Parking sensors are kinda useful. Distance indicator for ACC is pretty useful too, but agree with OP that there are better ways to handle this.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just put my cell phone there (not really)

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Because when this guy comes up with an idea, it is brilliant and hardcore. You don’t question it.

Rivian R1T R1S Why do we have to have the image of the truck in the center of our display like Tesla? 1672191458539

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
^^thank you!!^^

and... if they are going to have the truck at least render it in the same color as my vehicle.
Mind is rendered the same and even renders if the tonneau is open or closed.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

mine shows a green R1S when it should be limestone.
Orlok over here so distraught he's talking to himself. Seriously tho, I bet you can get that fixed by a service center pretty easily.

I don't mind the car there, but agree it'd be nice to have the option to that space a bit.