Sponsored

Why are you buying your Rivian?

Rivet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Landcruiser Diesel 4x4
I'd look at buying an R1T when the wife and I retire (depending on the economic fallout from Covid-19) and move to a rural property. The main attraction for me is the dual-cab ute format: cabin space for passengers or to lock up gear and the cargo bed would come in handy for typical dirty farm gear. Other attractions are the potential for fantastic off-road traction control given the 4 motors and also the decent range.
Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I will be using my R1T primarily as a daily driver, though it will include hauling bicycles/kayaks/motorcycles and pulling my boat trailer. My GMC Canyon can do all that now, but I want electric as that is obviously (to me anyway) the way of the future. I am concerned about climate change (just installed 14.1 Kw solar array last year) so that is probably the biggest draw for me to get the R1T...

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
In 2019 it generated about 14.4 MWh, while we consumed 11.9 MWh. This year I'm adding a section of heated driveway for the winter, so with that, the R1T, and whatever EV my wife chooses in the next 12 months or so, I will probably be adding another 8-10K.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
In 2019 it generated about 14.4 MWh, while we consumed 11.9 MWh. This year I'm adding a section of heated driveway for the winter, so with that, the R1T, and whatever EV my wife chooses in the next 12 months or so, I will probably be adding another 8-10K.
I'm a jealous renter. How many panels did it take?

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

For multiple reasons...in no particular order

1. I love trucks.
2. I am from the area where Rivian started and shares the name, Indian River.
3. The members of his team are unbelievable, down to earth people that are awesome assets to the brand.
4. Who wouldn't want a 750hp quad-motor pickup truck?
5. 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.
6. Versatility and Off-roadability as I own 5 acres on 11,000 acres of private property in Central Florida that my R1T would make light work of the terrain.
7. Lower overall maintenance costs compared to my 2017 Nissan Titan.
8. Have you seen it? It is sexy.
9. Kayak fishing, camping, getting outdoors is made extremely easy with all the storage and accessories for mounting kayaks, tents, and fishing gear.

I have one regret for putting a deposit on my Rivian...and that is because I waited till April when I had originally gotten to the final step of placing a deposit back on 6 December of 2018 but balked...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Out of curiosity, what kayak(s)?
Once all this nonsense is over we will be getting the Old Town Sportsman AutoPilot 120s. It’s a sweet new motorized model with spot lock which is great for the tidal areas we fish. Previously we had the Perception Pescador Pilot Pro 120s but sold those before I left on my deployment.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Once all this nonsense is over we will be getting the Old Town Sportsman AutoPilot 120s. It’s a sweet new motorized model with spot lock which is great for the tidal areas we fish. Previously we had the Perception Pescador Pilot Pro 120s but sold those before I left on my deployment.
I have a Sportsman 120 PDL on order (upgrading from a paddle yak). The Autopilots are sweet, but would require full registration here in TX, and I like the idea of "unlimited" power and instant reverse. Spot lock is awesome though!

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Own a beach home that's only accessible by Trucks/SUVs with 4x4, high clearance, and tested off road capabilities. When not at the beach, I'm driving north from Boston to Vermont to snowboard in tough wintery driving. I've been locked into a 4x4 all my life, had Jeep GC Overlands for the past 10 years (both penstar 6 and hemi), but always loved the speed and agility of a fast sedan. Now...perhaps i can get best of both worlds! Plus, the summer home is solar powered, and I'd love to get an EV to further reduce my footprint. Then there's the range of the R1S, the interior, skylight, clearance, speed, storage, the slick exterior, headlamps, and adventure brand. Pretty excited I'd have to say...

poppa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Looking at the R1S for a few reasons...

It's a nice, full sized E-SUV that looks like an SUV unlike the Model X. The gull wing doors while cool at first seems to be an issue with people I know that have the Model X. Also, the Rivian seems more spacious.

It seems to be a good value compared to competitors for the price.

While I do like my Model 3, I really have hated Tesla's customer service and really don't care for the Tesla fanboys. I asked if any Tesla owners had a Rivian pre-order somewhere else before and all I got was hate on Rivian saying it's a concept and it it won't come out, Ford isn't invested in Rivian anymore, etc.

I think Rivian has a CEO that will steadily lead the company in the right direction with the investors it has right now.

The people on these forums seem cooler. :)

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Wife and I have wanted a truck for twenty years, but wife said no way she would buy that much gas. Currently having a midlife crisis and wanting a sports car for that get-up-and-go. Have also wanted to go electric, but it was not really functional for the distances we were driving (200-300 mile trips) and the amount of backwoods driving we do to get to trailheads and the like. Rivian checks all the boxes. Wife rolls her eyes now when anyone asks me to talk about this truck because they just walked into the lecture hall.
Sponsored