Sponsored

Why are you buying your Rivian?

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Good list, well presented, personal and factual. Is the omission of computer assisted driving with all the sensors, intentional? Personally, I find even regenerative braking to be “fantastic”, while driving in the mountains. Sharing your enthusiasm. Thanks.
The autonomous driving component is without saying included in the #3 and the braking in #4. But yes those are crucial for me.

I had 60k miles on Modle S and didn't need new brakes becuase of the electronic calipers and assisted regenerative braking wear so well.

Absolutely love those features.

So what you're saying is that you (puts on sunglasses) drank the kool-aid during your dinner :cool:
Yes and no... :blush:

I spoke to RJ in New York at their first preorder event, and told him some times the adventure happens every day, and it has to or else big things don't happen! Rivian, the R1T and 400+ mile range will make that possible.

I talked with him about my (wifes) family's farm that's 10 miles away from the Normal plant and how once I started out on my own business relocating out that way is when I had to get rid of my Tesla. I loved my EV, but the adventure of driving 150 miles one way to my various work locations in the middle of snow storms etc. made owning a Tesla impossible for me.

I told him sometimes the adventure is just another day in the lives of those who do things like that day in and day out. Rivian's ethos of capable EV's that allow you to live and be adventurous is exactly what some people need just to make it through a day of work and life.

RJ gets it... There's a reason why he scrapped a sports coupe EV for a pickup truck. He knew where and what people wanted and needed and this wasn't forgotten by him. It certainly isn't forgotten out in central Illinois.

I also told him about how much the plant meant for the identify of people out there, and "what was once old now being new" very much applied to the people who were coming back to the plant (old engineers, autoworkers, electricians, etc).

My family called it the "Mitsubishi exit" for good reason and they all were farmers and into rodeo and horse raising. Rivian was exactly what made sense, to everyone.

For an incredibly humble guy to introduce you to his friends and family the first time ever meeting you as he thanks you (just a preorder holder). It wasn't about drinking the Kool-aid, it was about what I always knew growing up, actions and character speak louder then words.

Rivian and RJ had me at a handshake and a thank you. All this after I got off work, jumped in a plane flew to New York for a 16hr turnaround just to see and meet the man that was gonna change the name of the exit to my families farm, now Rivian Motorway.

That's how I came to think and feel this way.

It does mean a great deal to my family and I.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

- We need a truck
- We're on our second BEV right now, and have almost certainly bought our last ICE vehicle
- Our next BEV should have more range than our current Model X (rated 300mi)

I *like* the Cybertruck, but I also like the Rivian. We have deposits down on both, and the original plan was "whichever ships first"

400+ Cybertruck vs 400+ Rivian might end up shipping at roughly the same time, but we simply know WAY MORE about the Rivian and have psyched ourselves up for it.

Also the gear tunnel is pretty freaking slick.
The autonomous driving component is without saying included in the #3 and the braking in #4. But yes those are crucial for me.

I had 60k miles on Modle S and didn't need new brakes becuase of the electronic calipers and assisted regenerative braking wear so well.

I spoke to RJ in New York at their first preorder event, and told him some times the adventure happens every day, and it has to or else big things don't happen! Rivian, the R1T and 400+ mile range will make that possible.

I talked with him about my (wifes) family's farm that's 10 miles away from the Normal plant and how once I started out on my own business relocating out that way is when I had to get rid of my Tesla. I loved my EV, but the adventure of driving 150 miles one way to my various work locations in the middle of snow storms etc. made owning a Tesla impossible for me.

I told him sometimes the adventure is just another day in the lives of those who do things like that day in and day out. Rivian's ethos of capable EV's that allow you to live and be adventurous is exactly what some people need just to make it through a day of work and life.

RJ gets it... There's a reason why we scrapped a sports coupe EV for a pickup truck. He knew where and what people wanted and needed and this wasn't forgotten by him. It certainly isn't forgotten out in central Illinois.

I also told him about how much the plant meant for the identify of people out there, and "what was once old now being new" very much applied to the people who were coming back to the plant (old engineers, autoworkers, electricians, etc).

My family called it the "Mitsubishi exit" for good reason and they all were farmers and into rodeo and horse raising. Rivian was exactly what made sense, to everyone.

For an incredibly humble guy to introduce you to his friends and family the first time ever meeting you as he thanks you (just a preorder holder). It wasn't about drinking the Kool-aid, it was about what I always knew growing up, actions and character speak louder then words.

Rivian and RJ had me at a handshake and a thank you. All this after I got off work, jumped in a plane flew to New York for a 16hr turnaround just to see and meet the man that was gonna change the name of the exit to my families farm, now Rivian Motorway.

It does mean a great deal to me and my family.
I also met RJ at a meet-up — in Atlanta. Brief, exceptional, and humorous time. No cup-holders in the demo R1S and neither he nor anyone else was aware of this. RJ guaranteed that they would be present and accounted for. ?. Your story, what you recounted above in New York about “Normal” Illinois, is the essence of Rivian’s appeal, i.e., every day is an adventure, and especially in places where weather, distance, and terrain matter, whether nature welcomes us or threatens us with annihilation. Great story! Thanks. Go RJ.

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

• Beyond just being a BEV, Rivian is including a whole mess of intensely interesting and quality-of-life-improving technology in their vehicles that I want to invest in (upgrading from a comparatively bare-bones Xterra)
  • Wife and I have been wanting a pickup truck for a while as an upgrade to her Mini Cooper, especially when it comes to getting to/from work or just around town during WY's long and harsh winter season
  • Reduced carbon footprint is nice, would be even nicer if the WY grid wasn't mostly coal-powered... this will hopefully change in the next decade as more coal plants shut down

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

So many reasons, here are my top 5.

1.) Early midlife crisis.
2.) Owe the planet some carbon reduction thanks to my lust for V8s. (I know, just go plant some trees, but trees don't offer me 750 hp)
3.) Typically own vehicles for 10-15 years and can't see myself in an ICE for that long this time around.
4.) Smart marketing for small business.
5.) Opportunity to flip the script and stalk a mountain lion(unless the R1T and R1S sound like the Amazon mobile).

SCA

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Subaru Outback
1. The thing looks fantastic.
2. The R&D and attention to detail. I currently own a Ram. My family uses a truck as a family car. I need something durable, capable of a couple of kids sitting in the backseat and able to tow a boat, get up to Lake Tahoe in the winter, etc. After going to the Mill Valley event and talking with everyone, I appreciate the thought and effort that went into the design of the R1T.
3. The ship has sailed on the future of ICE vehicles. The days are numbered and I love the technology and culture that Rivian has built.
4. The power and torque certainly does not hurt.
5. I am not an environmentalist, but as someone who likes scuba diving as a hobby I have seen first hand the changes that have taken place. There is no denying it.
6. I threw up in my mouth when I saw the Cybertruck. As much research that Rivian did talking to Truck and SUV customers, I felt Elon Musk did the opposite and just put out some bizarre thing without much real world practicality.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

RJ gets it... There's a reason why he scrapped a sports coupe EV for a pickup truck. He knew where and what people wanted and needed and this wasn't forgotten by him. It certainly isn't forgotten out in central Illinois.

It does mean a great deal to my family and I.
ja_kub_sz, Yours is the coolest Rivian story I've heard, to date. I can only imagine how much fun you had spending an Uber ride with RJ and having that turn into dinner and an evening with he and his family, and his friends/team. Last October, I got home from an outstanding three-week trip to Italy and France, got one day's rest before making the drive to Seattle to catch Rivian's first Northwest appearance with a car-nut friend from that vacation.

Just getting to shake RJ's hand and have about 45 seconds of conversation before forcing him into the obligatory picture with me is now as memorable as most anything on that vacation. That's saying a lot, as we were fortunate enough to stumble upon a Ferrari gathering in one of the walled cities of Italy. Classic Ferraris from all around the world were there while on their way to larger gathering at the factory. I only managed to get about 200 pics of all of the 13'ish cars. Luckily, none of the pics captured my drool on these beauties.

Upon experencing the R1Ts and R1S in Seattle so soon thereafter, I was struck by how fortunate we were to get to see those Italian classics from the past just before getting a glimpse of the American-made future of transportation. Having the chance to visit with RJ and about a half dozen of his team made it that much more special than simply seeing a Rivian for the first time in the wild.

I hope your patronage, location, and that introduction to RJ and his family and team leads to many more interactions for you in the future. Please be sure to post any pictures/videos you might gather as you catch Rivians roaming the Plains near Normal. Like many here, I'm hoping this pandemic is under control by the time the Launch Edition is rolled out to allow the LE "Special Delivery Option" of picking up our Rivians at the factory, including a tour and meet & greet with the team.

Thanks again for sharing your very cool story!

DuckTruck

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I am jumping to my first EV for the environmental reasons but why specifically Rivian is an interesting one. I have been a VW fan for a long time, and an Audi owner for the last 10 years. When Audi announced their own EV I was very excited, until the range was announced. Not saying that 200 miles is terrible but compared to competition it is just too low. Following along with Rivian I was super excited and the more I read and see the happier I am. Not being the biggest Tesla fan I didn't want to go that way, so we jumped into the Rivian pool 6 months ago and are excited to see what happens.

I am nervous taking on a new company for their first vehicle but feel that not being part of the launch pool will allow for certain things to be resolved by the time my vehicle arrives in Jan/Feb 22. The only other thing that I am not happy about is the lack of CarPlay/Android Auto, it won't make me cancel but I hope that does change, but I am not holding my breath.

Regardless of what happens my next vehicle will be an EV, so planning on a Fall 2021 electrical installation in my garage so that I can power whatever I get, but hoping the R1S is here and it begins our journey away from iCE.

Last edited:

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ja_kub_sz, Yours is the coolest Rivian story I've heard, to date. I can only imagine how much fun you had spending an Uber ride with RJ and having that turn into dinner and an evening with he and his family, and his friends/team. Last October, I got home from an outstanding three-week trip to Italy and France, got one day's rest before making the drive to Seattle to catch Rivian's first Northwest appearance with a car-nut friend from that vacation.

Just getting to shake RJ's hand and have about 45 seconds of conversation before forcing him into the obligatory picture with me is now as memorable as most anything on that vacation. That's saying a lot, as we were fortunate enough to stumble upon a Ferrari gathering in one of the walled cities of Italy. Classic Ferraris from all around the world were there while on their way to larger gathering at the factory. I only managed to get about 200 pics of all of the 13'ish cars. Luckily, none of the pics captured my drool on these beauties.

Upon experencing the R1Ts and R1S in Seattle so soon thereafter, I was struck by how fortunate we were to get to see those Italian classics from the past just before getting a glimpse of the American-made future of transportation. Having the chance to visit with RJ and about a half dozen of his team made it that much more special than simply seeing a Rivian for the first time in the wild.

I hope your patronage, location, and that introduction to RJ and his family and team leads to many more interactions for you in the future. Please be sure to post any pictures/videos you might gather as you catch Rivians roaming the Plains near Normal. Like many here, I'm hoping this pandemic is under control by the time the Launch Edition is rolled out to allow the LE "Special Delivery Option" of picking up our Rivians at the factory, including a tour and meet & greet with the team.

DuckTruck
It's funny you mentioned italy, my wife and I were there when Rivian had they're 3rd preorder appreciation event and sadly couldn't attend. Kinda took the wind out of our Rivian tailgating party.

We weren't checking out Ferrari's though, just taking in the history and culture and visiting her remaining family over seas.

It was a very cool moment when RJ asked everyone to shout out where they were from in New York and he visibly paused when he heard "Normal"... The farm is technically just west of the plant, but still a great thing to be a part of. He laughed when I brought up the exit and changing it's name.

RJ really impressed upon me how Rivian is committed to far more then just their EV's. I did have a chance to see him again in Normal, but would love to tour the plant!

Still holding out for that.

But you are absolutely right, we're all extremely lucky ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It's funny you mentioned italy, my wife and I were there when Rivian had they're 3rd preorder appreciation event and sadly couldn't attend. Kinda took the wind out of our Rivian tailgating party.

We weren't checking out Ferrari's though, just taking in the history and culture and visiting her remaining family over seas.

It was a very cool moment when RJ asked everyone to shout out where they were from in New York and he visibly paused when he heard "Normal"... The farm is technically just west of the plant, but still a great thing to be a part of. He laughed when I brought up the exit and changing it's name.

RJ really impressed upon me how Rivian is committed to far more then just their EV's. I did have a chance to see him again in Normal, but would love to tour the plant!

Still holding out for that.

But you are absolutely right, we're all extremely lucky ?
I'm sure it was completely abnormal for RJ to hear someone respond "Normal!" when asking that question, especially in New York. I'm really happy for you, and envious at the same time. It would be great to be so close to the MotherShip and have such a great opportunity to get to know RJ and his family and team, as well as watching things progress with new and prototype Rivians runnig all around the place.

I hope you get the opportunity to tour the factory and learn more about Rivian soon. I'm not easily swayed by companies, but within the first hour of stumbling upon the story of Rivian's debut at the 2018 L.A. Auto Show and researching a bit, I plunked down my deposit and started scouring all sources to learn more. Needless to say, they continue to impress the heck out of me.

Speaking of Ferraris on the Italy trip, the couple I was traveling with and I were the only ones waiting for a water taxi on the shores of Lake Como when a young couple and their infant came along. I overheard them talking and realized they were Americans. As it turns out, he is one of the Executive Producers of the MotorTrend Channel's show Auto/Biography. They were there filming an episode about all things Ferrari. His knowledge of Ferrari was quite amazing. Auto/Biography is worth checking out if you have the MotorTrend channel.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

DuckTruck
Great perspective on chariots - red & green, past and future - all blazing fast. Practical and aesthetic innovation maxed. We all benefit whether we own one or not. Thanks.

Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sure it was completely abnormal for RJ to hear someone respond "Normal!" when asking that question, especially in New York. I'm really happy for you, and envious at the same time. It would be great to be so close to the MotherShip and have such a great opportunity to get to know RJ and his family and team, as well as watching things progress with new and prototype Rivians runnig all around the place.

I hope you get the opportunity to tour the factory and learn more about Rivian soon. I'm not easily swayed by companies, but within the first hour of stumbling upon the story of Rivian's debut at the 2018 L.A. Auto Show and researching a bit, I plunked down my deposit and started scouring all sources to learn more. Needless to say, they continue to impress the heck out of me.

Speaking of Ferraris on the Italy trip, the couple I was traveling with and I were the only ones waiting for a water taxi on the shores of Lake Como when a young couple and their infant came along. I overheard them talking and realized they were Americans. As it turns out, he is one of the Executive Producers of the MotorTrend Channel's show Auto/Biography. They were there filming an episode about all things Ferrari. His knowledge of Ferrari was quite amazing. Auto/Biography is worth checking out if you have the MotorTrend channel.
I just subscribed to the Motortrend app two weeks ago for the new Top Gear America.

Too funny.

Really enjoying it, but I'll check out the Ferrari biography.

Thanks

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I also met RJ at a meet-up — in Atlanta. Brief, exceptional, and humorous time. No cup-holders in the demo R1S and neither he nor anyone else was aware of this. RJ guaranteed that they would be present and accounted for. ?. Your story, what you recounted above in New York about “Normal” Illinois, is the essence of Rivian’s appeal, i.e., every day is an adventure, and especially in places where weather, distance, and terrain matter, whether nature welcomes us or threatens us with annihilation. Great story! Thanks. Go RJ.

Hubert, In the years to come, I will be forever grateful for your cupholders. What a funny oversight. Hopefully, Rivian passed on Clark Griswold's suggestion for a rear bumper dog leash attachment point.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hubert, In the years to come, I will be forever grateful for your cupholders. What a funny oversight. Hopefully, Rivian passed on Clark Griswold's suggestion for a rear bumper dog leash attachment point.
Super idea!

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

1. My next vehicle will be an EV for several reasons. In no particular order: better for the environment, can "fill up" at home for less, EV's generally out perform ICE vehicles in 0 to 60, are quieter, cost less to operate and maintain, etc...

2. My next vehicle will be a pickup. Ever since my Nissan Kingcab was totaled, I've missed having a truck because sometimes I need to haul something that won't fit into a Honda Civic.

Why Specifically a R1T? I like the looks (cyber truck is ugly IMO) and I can afford it. It checks the boxes in 1. and 2. The company has good financial backing, so it seems like it will have long term viability. And finally, I know it's just a gimmick, but Tank Turns!
Sponsored

Last edited: