First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
I have a 2011 escalade ext with almost 100,000 miles and was trying to find a replacement because I am getting new Car itis! I want a truck to pull a horse trailer when needed.. Wanted to go electric since I don't drive that far every day. Longest drive during the year has been to las Vegas which is about 250 miles, which i can't do right now. Anyway pre ordered a hummer also but I am really liking the rivian. The hummer is such an off road vehicle with features I will never use. The rivian is a better fit for me. Excited to be able to see and drive. Hoping, if there is a 2021 la auto show, will be able to see there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

snomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XV Crosstrek
My vehicle in college was a tastefully lifted 1997 white Toyota Tacoma and I loved the thing to death. Fast forward a few years and I started working a job that requires a lot of driving and I wanted something with better gas mileage so I traded it in. I waited for years, hoping that Toyota would release a hybrid Tacoma, but after years of rumors nothing ever materialized.

The Rivian R1T fills that need for me. It gets me back into a truck where I can get good mileage, but still get out on outdoor adventure along with plenty of storage for bikes/backpacking gear/etc.. That dream they teased early on of doing a point to point trail run and having your Rivian drive itself to pick you up at the end of the trailhead is appealing too, if that ever comes to fruition.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I've been eyeing the unveiling of the first electric trucks for a while.

Backtracking a bit, when our kids were younger we've had SUV's for passenger room and versatility. We changed to the Ford pickup truck and while overall has been okay, there are some things I don't like and some quality issues as well.

So my needs; Versatility, practicality and reduction in emissions/less fuel use. Traction in the rain we get here. Ability to tow, carry the bikes/gear, as well as the weekend trips to the home-center(s). Ability to carry occasional things for work. I was also looking for possibly down-sizing to a mid-sized pickup if it could meet the towing requirements. Vehicle range.

Things I don't like about the F150; Promised mileage from the Ecoboost engine don't come close to what was expected. It's a little bit large for an in-town vehicle. Traction is crappy in the rain unless you lock-in 4wd. Lack of quality; excessive post-warranty repairs. Surprisingly a lesser tow vehicle than I expected. Many suspension upgrades to be able to tow my boat semi-safely.

(I was excited to see that Tesla was making a pickup truck until I saw it. I also observe the constant software updates that Tesla does with some skepticism.)

So why the Rivian?
Design-wise it ticks the practicality and versatility boxes. The backing by Amazon lends a lot of credibility to the design. I doubt they are going to accept a sub-standard road/delivery vehicle. The skateboard concept makes sense.

It seems to have a balance of tactile vs touch screen interfaces. In other words, I don't want to have to take my hands off the road all the time to do something.
It has not been rushed to market.

Range; During the summer we have some long road trips (opted for the longer-range battery) and understanding that like EPA estimates we will get a percentage of that range, it still gives us a less interrupted trip.

And lastly, with the patching-up and repairs, the F150 will be reaching it's intended length of (my) ownership by the time the Rivian is scheduled for delivery (assuming spring 2022)

I think a bonus is that the Rivian is a little bit smaller than the F150.

I know that Ford is making an all-electric pickup truck, so will be watching that. Unfortunately, my first experience with their pickup truck has not been a good one, so that weighs on a potential purchase. They do have a dealer service network, should it break down or need repairs like my current one, I suppose.

Still looking forward to a post-covid Rivian test drive prior to purchase.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
(I was excited to see that Tesla was making a pickup truck until I saw it. I also observe the constant software updates that Tesla does with some skepticism.)
Interesting. Constant OTA (over-the-air) updates is one of the things Tesla owners say they like the best about Tesla.

And to keep it in perspective for Rivian, they intend to do it, too.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Interesting. Constant OTA (over-the-air) updates is one of the things Tesla owners say they like the best about Tesla.

And to keep it in perspective for Rivian, they intend to do it, too.
I think to be specific the Tesla OTA updates which reduced the range or battery capacity (AKA iPhone.) I haven't followed those stories enough to find out if the owners got their range back yet.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Here’s an interesting read I found from a company called
E Source. The article is titled: “Need to Identify EV Buyers? Try a personality test.“

https://www.esource.com/430201dkjl/need-identify-ev-buyers-try-personality-test
Great article. I think it gets more to the core of the thread than most are posting. Many of the reasons listed for preordering could be made for buying a Subaru Ascent of Toyota Tacoma/ Tundra. So why BEV and why Rivian? I wonder which of the categories listed do place ourselves, those being:
Prestige, Environmental, and economic. I would add Utility as I due believe there are things a Rivian can do that other vehicle cannot or not practically.
I would have to put myself into the categories of prestige and utility.
Prestige because I like the cool tech factor and because I believe BEV to be superior to ICE and legacy autos should be ashamed of their laziness of innovation.
Utility because instant torque and very low maintenance (looking at the hassle aspect not cost).
I do not personally feel like Rivian is good economic or environmental choice because ultimately I could fill my needs and most of my wants for less money and environmental impact.
So lets here it Prestige, Environmental, Economic, or Utility? And am I crazy?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It's what the VP of the company I used to work for called "Techno-lust". I really thought that would, initially at least, be the main reason people bought these cars and figured that the market would be saturated when all the engineers/physicists.... had one.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Never ever underestimate Techno- lust... Looking at you Apple, Tesla, Peloton... and on and on.
I know people who are clueless about technology and all STEM in general but lust over all of the above.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
My reasons are as such...

1. Really want and need a truck now that I bought some land and live out in the "country".

2. Drive a ton and am in bad weather a good deal while commuting and a capable vehicle is extremely important to me.

3. In my car a lot (35k miles/year) and need a luxurious vehicle that allows me to enjoy my travel time. Could not imagine driving as much as I do in my old hybrid.

4. EV's honestly are less maintenance intensive (and costly) for high milage driving. My Tesla cost me $700 for 30k miles of driving. $700 for everything, and didn't have to bring the vehicle in for anything! So what I'm spending vs. what I'm getting in my future EV purchase is actually better then the competition.

5. 400+ mile range! Had the OG 90D (275miles) and know that 400 miles is the magic number for me. Hats off to Rivian for recognizing that and moving the industry forward in the realm of EV range and battery pack architecture.

6. Interior! I absolutely love the Rivian and my wife and I think it's design is right up there (maybe even better) then our Range Rover/Land Rover and hopefully it's fit and finish will be on par with it also.

7. Who wouldn't want a SUPER FAST, capable, distinct and functional vehicle. No other EV, or ICE vehicle can hang with the Rivian when it comes to value per dollar (IMO). The Rivian offers up so much and it's price is incredible for what you get. Can't say that enough!

8. Functionality, ergonomics and options. Gear tunnel, frunk, bed, and power tonneau cover give the Rivian roughly the space (more functional) space of an SUV not including the cab space and you still have the advantage of a truck bed when you need it.

9. Looks, I really do like how the Rivian looks.

10. Community, I am happy to be a part of such a cool and committed community of people who see the value of what Rivian is trying to do. Their automotive experience has been second to none as far as customer engagement and appreciation. Let me tell you sharing an Uber with RJ after a Rivian event may have just been one of the coolest moments of my car enthusiast life, next to then having dinner with him and his team while talking cars all night.

Where, who and how else would you get that kind of attention as a customer if not as a Rivian backer?

Seriously, I thought buying a Tesla was a special customer engagement experience... Not even close! And to think I still don't even own a Rivian yet.

Can't say it enough, I like pretty much everything about Rivian (barring a few minor issues). I feel they are moving and operating in all the right ways that would have made Tesla and even more incredible and successful company and I'm just excited to sit back and what their vehicles, company and vision evolve.

This is a great time to be in the market for a luxury adventure vehicle and am happy to have had the chance to be a part of this all!

Max Pack 400+ countdown 2022 can't come soon enough!

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My reasons are as such...

1. Really want and need a truck now that I bought some land and live out in the "country".

2. Drive a ton and am in bad weather a good deal while commuting and a capable vehicle is extremely important to me.

3. In my car a lot (35k miles/year) and need a luxurious vehicle that allows me to enjoy my travel time. Could not imagine driving as much as I do in my old hybrid.

4. EV's honestly are less maintenance intensive (and costly) for high milage driving. My Tesla cost me $700 for 30k miles of driving. $700 for everything, and didn't have to bring the vehicle in for anything! So what I'm spending vs. what I'm getting in my future EV purchase is actually better then the competition.

5. 400+ mile range! Had the OG 90D (275miles) and know that 400 miles is the magic number for me. Hats off to Rivian for recognizing that and moving the industry forward in the realm of EV range and battery pack architecture.

6. Interior! I absolutely love the Rivian and my wife and I think it's design is right up there (maybe even better) then our Range Rover/Land Rover and hopefully it's fit and finish will be on par with it also.

7. Who wouldn't want a SUPER FAST, capable, distinct and functional vehicle. No other EV, or ICE vehicle can hang with the Rivian when it comes to value per dollar (IMO). The Rivian offers up so much and it's price is incredible for what you get. Can't say that enough!

8. Functionality, ergonomics and options. Gear tunnel, frunk, bed, and power tonneau cover give the Rivian roughly the space (more functional) space of an SUV not including the cab space and you still have the advantage of a truck bed when you need it.

9. Looks, I really do like how the Rivian looks.

10. Community, I am happy to be a part of such a cool and committed community of people who see the value of what Rivian is trying to do. Their automotive experience has been second to none as far as customer engagement and appreciation. Let me tell you sharing an Uber with RJ after a Rivian event may have just been one of the coolest moments of my car enthusiast life, next to then having dinner with him and his team while talking cars all night.

Where, who and how else would you get that kind of attention as a customer if not as a Rivian backer?

Seriously, I thought buying a Tesla was a special customer engagement experience... Not even close! And to think I still don't even own a Rivian yet.

Can't say it enough, I like pretty much everything about Rivian (barring a few minor issues). I feel they are moving and operating in all the right ways that would have made Tesla and even more incredible and successful company and I'm just excited to sit back and what their vehicles, company and vision evolve.

This is a great time to be in the market for a luxury adventure vehicle and am happy to have had the chance to be a part of this all!

Max Pack 400+ countdown 2022 can't come soon enough!
Good list, well presented, personal and factual. Is the omission of computer assisted driving with all the sensors, intentional? Personally, I find even regenerative braking to be “fantastic”, while driving in the mountains. Sharing your enthusiasm. Thanks.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I can't wait to be done with ICE vehicles, but there were none that fit my use case - snow, offroad, storage, moderate towing and 300+ miles. As soon as I saw the Rivian it was like "ding ding!" lol.

I know price is subjective, but I was pleasantly surprised w/ the cost because around here people were very early adopters of Tesla's at I think $100k+

7 months to go, hopefully sooner :)

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
- We need a truck
- We're on our second BEV right now, and have almost certainly bought our last ICE vehicle
- Our next BEV should have more range than our current Model X (rated 300mi)

I *like* the Cybertruck, but I also like the Rivian. We have deposits down on both, and the original plan was "whichever ships first"

400+ Cybertruck vs 400+ Rivian might end up shipping at roughly the same time, but we simply know WAY MORE about the Rivian and have psyched ourselves up for it.

Also the gear tunnel is pretty freaking slick.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Let me tell you sharing an Uber with RJ after a Rivian event may have just been one of the coolest moments of my car enthusiast life, next to then having dinner with him and his team while talking cars all night.
So what you're saying is that you (puts on sunglasses) drank the kool-aid during your dinner :cool:

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Why am I buying a Rivian R1S? Because of Land Rover’s horrible quality that hasn’t improved over decades...plain and simple, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt for too long. I have my doubts that an $80,000 Rivian will cost $160,000 over 8 years including repairs, but we shall see!
Sponsored