Sponsored

Who's ready to test their Rivian in Hurricane Ian?

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T, R1S
Occupation
Physician
I'm a little nervous about the approaching hurricane. This is the 4th one I've been through and the first one without a Wrangler. Here's hoping the R1T remains as good as it's been. We're in Naples, just below the cone of probability. I know we'll have flooding but hoping the storm surge is manageable. Any others a little exited about the upcoming storm?
Sponsored

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Iā€™m mostly nervous of a stick falling and cracking our glass that seems to be pads with a platinum film. Thankfully Iā€™ll be parked indoors but remember that most wind damage caused by hurricanes really is caused by tornadoes that spin off and if youā€™re in that path, nothing you can really do.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Doesnā€™t the Rivian have better water fording abilities than the stock Jeep?

OP
OP
daeHelkcunK

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Doesnā€™t the Rivian have better water fording abilities than the stock Jeep?
It's supposed to be good for 42". I hope I don't need to find out driving down my street!

Sponsored

OP
OP
daeHelkcunK

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
It's supposed to be good for 42". I hope I don't need to find out driving down my street!
They're calling for 5-8' of storm surge. I'm on a canal just off Naples Bay. This could get ugly. My house is at 8'

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€™19 X5 40i, ā€™07 X5 4.8, ā€™98 M Roadster
Iā€™m currently Rivian-Less as Iā€™m a recent adventurer reservation holderā€¦ fairly green at 3 weeks since deposit.

However, Iā€™m a Land Rover loyalist and my current Range Rover diesel is a wonderful rigā€¦ fording depth withstanding šŸ‘šŸŒ€

My current thought process over these past few days, imagining if I currently had the truck and evacuate.

I think it would be quite frustrating for sure to find adequate charging, possible increased wait times, with the possibility of the hurricane outpacing myself and others.

Lee County officially announced certain areas for evacuation. I am in said area however, I choose not to heed the call and move north. Iā€™ve decided to stay put and get at least one hurricane under my belt. Iā€™m located in Bonita Springs for reference.

I have my rig ready to tow if needed, my 2022 Intech Sol Horizon RoveršŸ˜‰

Rivian R1T R1S Who's ready to test their Rivian in Hurricane Ian? C86CB652-F816-49D6-8252-643CBCD6B1AD

Rivian R1T R1S Who's ready to test their Rivian in Hurricane Ian? EBFAEEBE-396D-4337-A3CC-2FB433590180

OP
OP
daeHelkcunK

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Been raining all day, the calm before the storm..the track keeps changing further east. I'ts now looking like Ft.Myers/Sanibel is ground zero. We just got an evacuation notice.
Rivian R1T R1S Who's ready to test their Rivian in Hurricane Ian? tempImagenzlrjK

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Good luck to you Floridians! One of my absolute favorite states and places to visit. I've been through over a dozen hurricanes in Texas and each one has been stressful in it's own unique way. I had never considered trying to evacuate in an EV while stuck in traffic. I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping for the best!

johnstuder

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

How did you do down in Naples? Get out in time?

Sponsored

OP
OP
daeHelkcunK

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Stayed through the he storm. By the time anyone knew that it was turning Eastward there was no way evacuation was feasible. 8 feet of storm surge in my neighborhood brought the water to within inches of my front door but luckily no intrusion. I avoided driving until all water was off the streets as it was all salt water. A lot of idiots driving around making videos with no idea how they damaged their cars. I guess there are 350,000 vehicles totaled. A Tesla burned and a Lucid exploded in my neighborhood shortly after the storm (not to mention a lot of golf carts, e-bikes). No Rivian stories. Iā€™m thinking the sealed motors/electronics may be a huge advantage in storms.
Rivian R1T R1S Who's ready to test their Rivian in Hurricane Ian? 3018AD00-5BD7-4565-8B33-74DD272F6A74

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Wow, I'm glad to hear you came out unscathed. I didn't see this thread before the storm but knowing how hard Naples got hit I figured this wouldn't end well. I parked mine in the garage and put my wifes SUV in my office garage in downtown Orlando. I was able to run 2 fridges off my Rivian until I got my generator out and running.

OP
OP
daeHelkcunK

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Wow, I'm glad to hear you came out unscathed. I didn't see this thread before the storm but knowing how hard Naples got hit I figured this wouldn't end well. I parked mine in the garage and put my wifes SUV in my office garage in downtown Orlando. I was able to run 2 fridges off my Rivian until I got my generator out and running.
I think the best part of the Rivian was the ability to run our freezer and help power industrial wet vacs during the cleanup. Recharged my electric chain saw and phones too. A lot of people didn't have generators or did have them and they flooded. As long as I have a big battery vehicle I doubt I'll invest in a generator. Some people with generators on the second floor even had trouble as the flood waters popped their tanks out of the ground like a mini submarine.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I didn't test to see how much I could run on the Rivian, but my generator has significantly more capacity which let me run both fridges, freezer, lights, wifi and TVs without any strain, and I already had 30 gallons of gas stored. That said the main reason I pulled out the generator when I did was so I could free up the Rivian to drive around. I saw a great meme that Floridians drive around after a hurricane like they are looking at Christmas lights.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m currently Rivian-Less as Iā€™m a recent adventurer reservation holderā€¦ fairly green at 3 weeks since deposit.

However, Iā€™m a Land Rover loyalist and my current Range Rover diesel is a wonderful rigā€¦ fording depth withstanding šŸ‘šŸŒ€

My current thought process over these past few days, imagining if I currently had the truck and evacuate.

I think it would be quite frustrating for sure to find adequate charging, possible increased wait times, with the possibility of the hurricane outpacing myself and others.

Lee County officially announced certain areas for evacuation. I am in said area however, I choose not to heed the call and move north. Iā€™ve decided to stay put and get at least one hurricane under my belt. Iā€™m located in Bonita Springs for reference.

I have my rig ready to tow if needed, my 2022 Intech Sol Horizon RoveršŸ˜‰

C86CB652-F816-49D6-8252-643CBCD6B1AD.jpeg

EBFAEEBE-396D-4337-A3CC-2FB433590180.jpeg
Hello! I'm considering the same trailer and would love your thoughts on it; quality, cold weather use, range hit, etc. Thanks for sharing what you can!
Sponsored