Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Hey there fellow Rivians!

Took the wife to see a Christmas Carol at the North Shore Theater and had the pleasure of driving home in the snow last night. I have never seen so many accidents and cars off the road! I just recently got the All terrains 20" tires installed (had the 21" all season). I was super nervous after reading all the horror stories of people driving in the snow out west and losing control. It didn't help that most of the roads were untreated since I guess they didn't expect more then a dusting..

Anyway. The truck drove great and I never lost traction and I even forgot to change the regen to Standard but I was very careful not to fully lift off the pedal.. My trip wasn't short either.. Beverly, Ma to Douglas, Ma.

I did see one other Rivian going the other way on 62 I think it was.. :) Hope you made it home safe and sound as well!
Sponsored

Rivian603

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Colorado, Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Glad to hear it went well for you! I was too much of a baby to risk it in the R1T in Southern NH last night so we took the known quantity of our Chevy SUV instead.

I'm definitely excited for snow mode in the near future, though it's interesting you had such a positive experience compared to others. I wonder how much of this is driver skill vs ICE instincts vs drive-mode software shenanigans.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
I went to the store last night, first drive on snow covered roads.

No salt/sand yet, not plowed.

Handled well, but there is no getting around the weight of the vehicle after a few tests of emergency braking/slowing down. Braking distances were significant and the ABS was aggressive.

I'll be driving cautiously on turns/downhills whenever there is snow on the ground.

OP
OP
p3ck

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I went to the store last night, first drive on snow covered roads.

No salt/sand yet, not plowed.

Handled well, but there is no getting around the weight of the vehicle after a few tests of emergency braking/slowing down. Braking distances were significant and the ABS was aggressive.

I'll be driving cautiously on turns/downhills whenever there is snow on the ground.

Was this with the 21" tires?

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Yes.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
I was out in Acton that evening, untreated roads, on 20" ATs and it didn't do great. I felt it lose traction twice when just letting off the accelerator. I also tried turning into a neighbor's driveway at about 5mph and the front end was happy to continue going in the direction I had started, not the one I wanted to go in.

So all in all, I'm not thrilled with the performance of these tires on untreated fresh snow. I understand it's likely mostly due to the weight, which just meant I was driving much slower than I normally would (even on snow).

I know they're different animals, but the RWD Model 3 with a set of blizzacks performed much better than this truck does in these conditions.
Sponsored