First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I just don't like the headlights, and I hope they are reconsidered as they are very off-putting to many, and may negatively impact sales. It's not a minor design feature, it's the very front of the vehicle and very noticeable, and I can count the number of times I've heard positive comments on one hand, including your last sentence. No offense was taken to your comment, but it was a bit misguided. I'd rather not buy a Ford, trust me!
If Rivian changes the front end at this point, I believe they will lose more customers than they will gain. Tesla broke the mold when they came out with the refreshed fascia on the Model S. I find your comments interesting because of the close to 100 people I have shown, only a small handful, maybe 10 think the front end is offputting, even still of those 10, most would still buy the truck because of everything else the truck has to offer. I hope it works out for you. I am sure that Ford will produce a Ranger and F-150 that has a vanilla enough front end design for the masses. Hopefully they won't ruin it with Sync and they just rebrand Rivian software with Ford badging.

:fingerscrossed:
Sponsored

Last edited:

ormandj

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
If Rivian changes the front end at this point, I believe they will lose more customers than they will gain. Tesla broke the mold when they came out with the refreshed fascia on the Model S. I find your comments interesting because of the close to 100 people I have shown, only a small handful, maybe 10 think the front end is offputting, even still of those 10, most would still buy the truck because of everything else the truck has to offer. I hope it works out for you. I am sure that Ford will produce a Ranger and F-150 that has a vanilla enough front end design for the masses. Hopefully they won't ruin it with Sync and they just rebrand Rivian software with Ford badging.

:fingerscrossed:
Trust me, I'm with you. We both have anecdotal numbers, too! I keep hoping they will grow on me. At the end of the day, Rivian will follow the money, so we will see what ends up happening. The surprised hippo look may catch on and end up being a trend. Hopefully one I can get acclimated to and learn to like.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I like the headlights and they can stay. The part I'm concerned about is the change to the rear end. The trucks down in Argentina show a difference that I don't like. Maybe I'm too critical. What do you think?

Rivian R1T R1S Who might be swayed to Ford? rivian9-

Rivian R1T R1S Who might be swayed to Ford? rivian-r1t-pickup-truck-electric-32-

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
I like the headlights and they can stay. The part I'm concerned about is the change to the rear end. The trucks down in Argentina show a difference that I don't like. Maybe I'm too critical. What do you think?

rivian9-jpg.jpg

rivian-r1t-pickup-truck-electric-32-jpg.jpg
I don't see much of a difference. All I see is the rear fenders flaring and the recessed area of the tail gate

Sponsored

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
the 2 red lights or reflectors? that is pretty minimal

nomoregas

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, GMC Denali, Honda CRV
I could easily stay with Ford. Slap the skateboard under a new F 150 I'm in!

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I could easily stay with Ford. Slap the skateboard under a new F 150 I'm in!
F150 will be Ford's own architecture, not Rivian. I'm guessing they see Rivian's tech as being [more] compelling, or else they wouldn't have invested half a billion though.

RichardDostal

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra/Yukon XL
Specs/cost will be key but so will be the support/repair model. With Ford, you probably will be able to just take it to a local dealership. Not sure what Rivian has planned.
I emailed Rivian and they stated they will come to your house for maintenance. They will also supply a loaner vehicle if need be. Below are a couple questions they answered for me:

Hi Richard!
Thanks for reaching out and sharing your enthusiasm for Rivian! I’ve provided answered below.

1. Will I be able to purchase one here in San Antonio?
Yes! We are accepting preorders across all of the US, Canada, and Mexico. We will share more delivery details as we get closer to production.

2. If I do purchase one, where can I recharge?
Rivian vehicles plug into any Combined Charging System (CCS) standard charger. We are building our high speed charging network while also working to utilize the rapidly expanding independent CCS networks. There are 3 different levels of charging: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3.
Level 1: Level 1 charging means simply plugging into your standard household 120 V outlet, like you would a mobile phone. While no extra setup is required, it’s the slowest way to charge. We recommend Level 2 charging at your home or workplace.
Level 2: Most public charging stations are Level 2 and charge 3 to 7 times faster than Level 1 does. At home, Level 2 charging requires a little more setup. Using a J1772 connector and a 40 A circuit, you can expect a full charge every morning when you plug your vehicle in before bed.

Level 3: In a hurry? Level 3 charging is also known as DC fast charging (DCFC). It’s the quickest way to add charge, and it’s available through the same CCS connection. You can add approximately 200 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes.

3. Does Rivian have an option to install a charging station at my home?
We will share more details closer to production, but we will offer home charging connectors and stations.

4. How much does the mileage decrease if I’m towing my bumper pull (Approximately 9000lbs)
I don’t have detailed estimated on range impacts from towing, but our engineering team has shared that towing 11,000lbs will see a ~50% range drop. However, range is highly dependent on aerodynamics— so you should expect the similar drops in range as you do with a gas vehicle.

5/6. How do I maintenance the truck? Warranty?
I don’t have details to share right now,-- there are a lot of exciting things happening behind the scenes! However, I can say that our goal is that you never have to enter a service center. We will either service your vehicle at your home or provide a loaner and pick up your vehicle.

7. What’s the battery life?
We don’t have detailed battery life to share right now, but our batteries are certainly designed to last the life the vehicle.

8. Are there other colors besides silver?
We have not announced color options but look forward to sharing them soon. What color are you most excited about?

Sponsored

raucous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, R1T preorder
I emailed Rivian and they stated they will come to your house for maintenance. They will also supply a loaner vehicle if need be. ...
We talked to a Rivian rep at the Seattle event this afternoon and had the same "our goal is that you never have to enter a service center" discussion. The rep was quite insistent on that even for our very rural location.

As far as Ford and maintenance goes only a few of the Ford dealerships in our area (none nearby) sold Ford's EVs when they were available. We were told that despite that any dealership would be able to service them but that wasn't the experience we had with our C-Max Energi.

Last edited:

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
I could see an Amazon van showing up to tow away a Rivian for warranty repair/ work... at one of their distribution/ fullfillment centers... It would be a way for Amazon to make back some of their investment seed money by providing a delivery service and it'd be a win win for both companies when you think about it logistically. no brick and mortar repair facilities needed for Rivian to invest in.. let Amazon add on to an existing facility and provide the service on the 100K fleet they're providing... it's almost required for an order that size to Amazon...

I can't see switching to a FORD or any other manufacturer as my first EV unless they announce an EV Bronco with removable doors and roof based on the Rivian skateboard chassis... that would give me pause... there's something intangible to be said for driving around in a cage but feeling like you're on a motorcycle...

RichardDostal

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra/Yukon XL