Who is order #1?

ActionDH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Suburban, 2019 BMW M5
This is why I think when people were trying to say you can figure out your order number is incorrect, and you are a perfect example! Code and Theory who created their website says that they had 3670 orders on April 1st, 2019. If you use the formula that was said to use for early order, you would be 5158-1000 = 4158. But since you ordered well before April 1, 2019 and they only had 3670 orders, this does not make sense at all. I believe there are A LOT LESS pre-orders than people think, and being that Rivian is so secretive on when a guide will contact you and when you will receive delivery, I don't think you will ever find out what your order number truly is.
Maybe it has to do with which model you initially reserved first, I believe I initially made a R1S reservation but later changed to the R1T. Just another wrinkle....
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
This is why I think when people were trying to say you can figure out your order number is incorrect, and you are a perfect example! Code and Theory who created their website says that they had 3670 orders on April 1st, 2019. If you use the formula that was said to use for early order, you would be 5158-1000 = 4158. But since you ordered well before April 1, 2019 and they only had 3670 orders, this does not make sense at all. I believe there are A LOT LESS pre-orders than people think, and being that Rivian is so secretive on when a guide will contact you and when you will receive delivery, I don't think you will ever find out what your order number truly is.
Your example doesn't demonstrate that the formula is very wrong.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
It could be an issue with abandoned carts. I’m not expert on POS systems, but perhaps they assign order number when you go to checkout, and then throw that number away if you don’t finalize the checkout process? ?‍♂ Where’s @ajdelange when we need him. He had the definitive answer to everything! ?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

^^ They use stripe API for processing/payment The transaction number is there to help them track the orders as well as match up details on their backend. The DBA can control where the orders numbers start, stop, blocked off etc so really there is no guessing.

Rivian R1T R1S Who is order #1? 1620964552201

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It could be an issue with abandoned carts. I’m not expert on POS systems, but perhaps they assign order number when you go to checkout, and then throw that number away if you don’t finalize the checkout process? ?‍♂ Where’s @ajdelange when we need him. He had the definitive answer to everything! ?
There's a distinction with Shopify between abandoned carts & abandoned checkouts. The difference is whether users have entered contact info (they have for abandoned checkouts). Order # increments for abandoned checkouts, but not carts.

I personally cannot remember the Rivian preorder process & when contact info was entered. So it's one of two scenarios:

1) Order # incremented with any abandoned preorder (contact info was entered first)

OR

2) Order # incremented with failed payments or preorders were abandoned after entering contact info (if it was later in the process)

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So yes, there are less actual orders than the numbers. We knew there were cancelations to account for, but we now know there were abandoned checkouts as well.

If Code & Theory numbers are correct, only ~44% of the orders up to that point were completed. I expect that percentage would gp up over time as people gained confidence in Rivian due to investments etc., so it's really tough to put a finger on.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
It’s fairly common for newer companies to both start a primary key in a database at a higher number (like 1,000) AND set the auto increment interval to something higher (maybe 3 or 7) so it counts by that.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s fairly common for newer companies to both start a primary key in a database at a higher number (like 1,000) AND set the auto increment interval to something higher (maybe 3 or 7) so it counts by that.
True, but I collected preorder data that shows that's not the case.
Sponsored