Who is Buying This Vehicle?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I originally got it because at the time I was driving about 90 miles per day, and as efficient as the 4Runner was for its size and type, I still had to refuel it 2-3 times per week.
First time I’ve ever heard a 4Runner referred to as “efficient”! I’m in a very similar situation as you, but currently own both a Tesla and a 4Runner. I’ll have to say that the 4Runner consumes more gas for the amount of power output (also horrible) than anything I’ve driven since the 1980’s fuel efficiency craziness. I love what my 4Runner can do offroad, but when it comes to fuel efficient and power (especially when towing or driving in mountains), it’s awful! Can’t wait to get my R1T and have the best of both worlds in one vehicle (not to mention the cost of maintaining, registering, and insuring one car!).
Sponsored

Last edited:

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I love my Tesla M3P. Great car. Not one issue in 2years. I have free supercharging as well. Tesla's ecosystem is second to none. Rivian can only aspire to be that good. Never really had any service issues with Tesla. I don't think the MX is worth the cost. Looking to use my LE R1S as a daily driver. 90% on the freeways in SoCal. 10% off road. Will be nice to be seated up high on the road. I hope Rivian can learn from others mistakes (tesla) and be better. If they can accomplish that feat, we will all be better off and happier. It will take time though.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I love my Tesla M3P. Great car. Not one issue in 2years. I have free supercharging as well. Tesla's ecosystem is second to none. Rivian can only aspire to be that good. Never really had any service issues with Tesla. I don't think the MX is worth the cost. Looking to use my LE R1S as a daily driver. 90% on the freeways in SoCal. 10% off road. Will be nice to be seated up high on the road. I hope Rivian can learn from others mistakes (tesla) and be better. If they can accomplish that feat, we will all be better off and happier. It will take time though.
Not trying to be combative, but you mention all of the things you love about Tesla, and then say you hope Rivian can do better. What areas would you like to see Rivian do better in?

I’ve had a great experience owning my Tesla for the past 6 years, but recently I’ve become quite frustrated with their service and cost and time for repairs. Things seemed to go from awesome, to just OK, to horrible in direct correlation with the mass production rollout of the M3. Just seems they are completely overwhelmed with the volume now. Hoping for a similar early adopter white glove treatment from Rivian that I used to get from Tesla.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Not trying to be combative, but you mention all of the things you love about Tesla, and then say you hope Rivian can do better. What areas would you like to see Rivian do better in?

I’ve had a great experience owning my Tesla for the past 6 years, but recently I’ve become quite frustrated with their service and cost and time for repairs. Things seemed to go from awesome, to just OK, to horrible in direct correlation with the mass production rollout of the M3. Just seems they are completely overwhelmed with the volume now. Hoping for a similar early adopter white glove treatment from Rivian that I used to get from Tesla.
My take after owning an S and X that I'd like to see Rivian do better on would be:

1. Better build quality. Was horrible with both for 100K+ cars. Literally seats coming unbolted, gaps, seals falling off, misalignments, windows cracking themselves, etc.

2. Better Service. Due to above, never had cars in service so much ever and we've had a LOT of cars. Their service requires you to follow-up, is a pain to schedule still even with app, and they don't do good follow-up at least where we used them. They also tended to screw something else up during service, get something dirty, etc.

3. Better quality from an interior view - the interior in Tesla S/X while nicer than 3/Y even, are crap compared to other makers. Things like consoles, dash, trim all flex and move, etc. Not solid feeling at all. Also lack of functionality somewhat due to the sparseness could be avoided.

4. Focus - Would like to see Rivian focus on car technology, the interface/abilities and capabilities for car that improve and control driving. The L2 autonomy features, ride quality features, usability, etc. and NOT games, fart & holiday easter eggs, etc. Hated Tesla releasing those updates constantly while there were/are so many other issues.

That is my short list... I could probably make it to a #10 but will cut that off for now ;-)

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
My take after owning an S and X that I'd like to see Rivian do better on would be:

1. Better build quality. Was horrible with both for 100K+ cars. Literally seats coming unbolted, gaps, seals falling off, misalignments, windows cracking themselves, etc.

2. Better Service. Due to above, never had cars in service so much ever and we've had a LOT of cars. Their service requires you to follow-up, is a pain to schedule still even with app, and they don't do good follow-up at least where we used them. They also tended to screw something else up during service, get something dirty, etc.

3. Better quality from an interior view - the interior in Tesla S/X while nicer than 3/Y even, are crap compared to other makers. Things like consoles, dash, trim all flex and move, etc. Not solid feeling at all. Also lack of functionality somewhat due to the sparseness could be avoided.

4. Focus - Would like to see Rivian focus on car technology, the interface/abilities and capabilities for car that improve and control driving. The L2 autonomy features, ride quality features, usability, etc. and NOT games, fart & holiday easter eggs, etc. Hated Tesla releasing those updates constantly while there were/are so many other issues.

That is my short list... I could probably make it to a #10 but will cut that off for now ;-)
I have never had a Tesla so cant speak to them but I do hope that Rivian excels at the items on your list. The truck + frunk/gear tunnel aspect sold me as a use case but I really want to feel like it was built well and will be a low frustration experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X

Same experience here. In the early days, I mattered. Not the case anymore. Very frustrated with Tesla at this point. Looking forward to mattering to Rivian (at least for a while).

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
A little off topic, but same with my Xterra...Gas mileage in town is terrible and its not the most powerful car either.

Going to look forward to standing at a gas station a whole lot less...

First time I’ve ever heard a 4Runner referred to as “efficient”! I’m in a very similar situation as you, but currently own both a Tesla and a 4Runner. I’ll have to say that the 4Runner consumes more gas for the amount of power output (also horrible) than anything I’ve driven since the 1980’s fuel efficiency craziness. I love what my 4Runner can do offroad, but when it comes to fuel efficient and power (especially when towing or driving in mountains), it’s awful! Can’t wait to get my R1T and have the boost of both worlds in one vehicle (not to mention the cost of maintaining, registering, and insuring one car!).

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Smaller how? The R1S may not be quite as tall (partially a function of suspension setting) but it is 7 inches longer (9" longer wheelbase) and a little wider than the Land Cruiser
Thank you for your correction. R1S is longer and wider than the LC. My mistake. My one chance to inspect the R1S and R1T left me thinking they were smaller than they are.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
As a Current Tesla Owner aNd reservation holder, I really like the Rivian and it’s possibilities. However, FSD capabilities is not one of them. Tesla can’t make it work, and neither Will Rivian.
Rivian is going the route of GM/Ford and others with driving over mapped coverage. No FSD on any road for any company. Tesla uses FSD marketing as a cash cow and has yet to achieve level 3 of autonomic driving as stated to the California DOT. in 2021.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer

Exactly same experience here. First 4 years were amazing. 2 years out of warranty is just painful.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian is going the route of GM/Ford and others with driving over mapped coverage. No FSD on any road for any company. Tesla uses FSD marketing as a cash cow and has yet to achieve level 3 of autonomic driving as stated to the California DOT. in 2021.
Tesla has told the DOT in official letters that "FSD" will NEVER be more than a Level 2 system.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Tesla has told the DOT in official letters that "FSD" will NEVER be more than a Level 2 system.
Tesla can not even get my car to drive down the freeway without ridiculous fantom breaking issues every single timeI engage AP. FSD, will,never happen. IMHO.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I may be in the minority in thinking SAE L4 autonomy is achievable by improvements to current technology. If legislation allows it is another question.
Not saying it will ever be perfected but could be twice as "safe" less lethal statistically than a human driver.
Consider the following; NHTSA data shows an average of nearly 40K U.S. auto fatalities a year and 90% of which (36,000) human actions were the leading contributing cause. If we would accept L4 autonomous systems to only kill 16,000 people a year that's a lot of lives saved or lost depending on your perspective.
The problem is it's impossible to document, in most cases, the specific lives saved however the lives lost to malfunction can often be discovered. How do we explain to the loved ones of someone killed by a malfunction that the same system also saved 2 other non descript people?

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
Level 4 is being demonstrated by a number of companies in a geo-fenced, speed-limited, highly defined environment with far greater sensor arrays and significantly more sophisticated software than what Tesla or any publicly available new vehicle is offering. I am guessing Level 3 will be the limit for everyday drivers and that will be restricted to some highways and heavy traffic under 35mph. Maybe level 4 in a very restricted dedicated development (retirement community).

Tesla safety claims with AutoPilot are due to higher driver awareness, limited speeds, restricted and controlled lane changes, etc.. It is a big glorified babysitter when used properly. The safety benefits are obviously not because the car is driving itself because it does not. If all cars had the same driver assistance features it would be nice. and have similar results.
Sponsored