Who is Buying This Vehicle?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
At the risk of looking lazy (JeremyMKE, I see you looking at me...), can anyone tell me how you reserved the larger battery pack? I called Rivian this morning, and that was one of the questions I asked the advisor. She was clueless about the battery pack.
Not available for the R1S yet. Only the R1T.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
At the risk of looking lazy (JeremyMKE, I see you looking at me...), can anyone tell me how you reserved the larger battery pack? I called Rivian this morning, and that was one of the questions I asked the advisor. She was clueless about the battery pack.
For R1T you can choose that option when configuring your build.

For R1S, you have to pick the smaller pack, currently, as Rivian hasn't added the larger pack to their configurator. You will have an opportunity to change your config before finalizing your order, so you can switch to the larger pack when it's added.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.
In same shape here, had an early S, another S, and X. They were awesome cars but the ownership experiences were prone with service issues, etc. I'm looking at Rivian and from what we know they really are aiming for quality uncomplicated products. Early reviews in first six months before taking delivery I hope will show that.

I prefer Rivian over another Tesla likely due to they seem to be focusing on utility and usefulness, while I see Tesla focusing on gag items and games - i.e. fart sounds, holiday releases, and things that don't help the car while at the same time the models have build quality and software issues quite often.

I feel like Rivian at this point will be a lot less "delicate" than our Model X and actually last longer.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Only the truck is offering the Max option for reservations.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
In same shape here, had an early S, another S, and X. They were awesome cars but the ownership experiences were prone with service issues, etc. I'm looking at Rivian and from what we know they really are aiming for quality uncomplicated products. Early reviews in first six months before taking delivery I hope will show that.

I prefer Rivian over another Tesla likely due to they seem to be focusing on utility and usefulness, while I see Tesla focusing on gag items and games - i.e. fart sounds, holiday releases, and things that don't help the car while at the same time the models have build quality and software issues quite often.

I feel like Rivian at this point will be a lot less "delicate" than our Model X and actually last longer.
Great summary and kind of agree with your assessment. I am also growing tired of what feels like complacency, bordering arrogance. Horrible communication. Tesla's customer service was high touch in the beginning, but dropped off a cliff with their growth. I have had several MS's and an X. Love the vehicles, but a Rivian will be cheaper and more practical.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm an off road guy, but my R1S will be my daily driver and definitely see some light off road duty (camping/adventuring etc.), but my Jeeps will still serve for anything beyond moderate off roading.

This will be my first EV, but I've come close to buying a Tesla in the past. For me, Rivian checks all the boxes. I love the quad motor design and the performance it should bring on & off road; very precise traction control off road & torque vectoring on road. Additionally, the air & hydraulic active damping suspension combo should allow for great comfort when desired & top notch handling as well.

As a gearhead, father of 3, & tech nerd, I'm a huge Rivian fan because it satisfies all of those.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I was worried about coming across as a do your homework kinda of response, I dont think you took it that way and thanks for realizing that! Sorry if it felt like a noob -slap.

The interesting thing about forums is we are all dying to tell you why we love Rivian, while still poking holes in each others arguments to gain a higher level of understanding. Just dont bring up Carplay ;)

In the spirit of that here are some threads that might get you some of the info you are looking for. Please understand a lot of these threads have evolved with Rivian announcements.

Welcome!

Raising concerns about buying from a new manufacturer:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/buying-high-end-ev-from-start-up.1310/

Super Technical Battery Discussion:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/battery-cell-pack-specs.1147/

Deep discussion about which Battery Pack to buy, this started prior to the announcement of pricing but gives you insight as to which pack and why from many forum users.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/poll-on-additional-cost-for-400-mile-version.801/

Title says it all ;) "Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided"
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/vent-b-tch-moaning-for-the-mis-guided.1231/

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

This will definitely be my daily driver. It will also serve pretty much all other life needs. Groceries, shuttling kids back / forth, taking the bikes to a trail head, the occasional camping trip with some mostly minor offroading, etc. I expect my R1T will be on pavement over 90% of its use.

The fact that it has amazing performance and offroad capabilities as part of the base package is what I think makes it a unique value (electric or ICE). I agree with the comment that the SUV is highly comparable to the use case of a Range Rover Discovery - and priced similarly too.
I agree with the assessment that the R1S's use case is similar to that of the Discovery (an amazing vehicle itself), but their "WOW Factors" are quite different. Personally, I'm really looking forward to being a rolling advocate for Rivian, and the EV movement in general. The thought of getting friends out in it, and meeting strangers who are curious about it, are all part of the allure.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

My R1T will be (technically) my only vehicle - except for the two others at the house for my daughters that I pay for.... until they graduate college and make their own nests :like:

It will be what I drive every day for work, errands, and weekend play time

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
The R1S will be my wife's daily driver, and my weekend vehicle ?
I'll prob wait for Rivians hatchback to make a comeback for my daily driver

Rivian R1T R1S Who is Buying This Vehicle? SmartSelect_20210405-131921_Google

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.
Definitely not a silly question. We could all have the best answers but if our use case is different than yours, it could be pointless data points to you.

For us, the R1T will be my DD but it will also see light to medium off-road use. We plan on doing tons of road/camp trips to the Keys, up into the Smoky Mountains, and as far west as Colorado and Utah for whatever trails we can find that are drivable and more importantly camp-able. From the value, tech, usability/size, performance, warranty, service, and soon-to-be charging infrastructure along with all the other CCS providers, in my opinion, it checks all of the boxes for us.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I agree with the assessment that the R1S's use case is similar to that of the Discovery (an amazing vehicle itself), but their "WOW Factors" are quite different. Personally, I'm really looking forward to being a rolling advocate for Rivian, and the EV movement in general. The thought of getting friends out in it, and meeting strangers who are curious about it, are all part of the allure.
Wait, are you sure you're not the guy in the "Long Weekend" video (Wyoming/winter/snow) doing the shuttle runs for strangers?!?

One of my favorite things about the R1 vehicles is that they would be equally at home shuttling some friends to the slopes or shuttling them to the opera. I don't personally go to the opera, but if I did, I could see going in a Rivian!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Be prepared to wait a long time, perhaps way past January 2022. I too have a Tesla and am keeping it. No I will not be "adventuring" in my Rivian. It will be a daily driver for me.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mostly I just think the truck is cool.

There’s more of course. I feel like I’m on the younger side of people on this forum (no wife/kids), and the R1T will absolutely be a “toy” for recreational purposes, while also serving as a daily driver. I’m now in a financial position to spend a little extra on a new vehicle if it will help lead to a more sustainable future and increase the availability of BEVs. I want to convert to a BEV. But most BEVs on the market seem to only work for 80% to 90% of my driving uses. I have access to mountain and ranch property that requires some light off-roading. I’m also not sold on taking a Model Y or 3 into the woods. The R1T would give me a daily driver that I could also use on bad roads and in bad winter weather. I don’t have to compromise the (occasional?) need for a truck/SUV when purchasing a BEV.

Maybe it would be cheaper/more efficient for me to buy a Chevy Bolt for the weekday urban driving and a used ICE truck for the outdoor weekends. Ultimately, the truck is just something I want and think is cool. I feel like I am the exact demographic Rivian is targeting with their marketing.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Be prepared to wait a long time, perhaps way past January 2022. I too have a Tesla and am keeping it. No I will not be "adventuring" in my Rivian. It will be a daily driver for me.
I agree on keeping your Tesla. My story is a bit odd. I had a P100D Model X from just before they upgraded the MCU. Loved the car, but computer was slow and buggy and I had wifi connection issues. I nagged them to upgrade it for me and they wouldn't (despite the fact that the part was on recall for thousands of customers).

So, I did the math and realized I could get a brand new Model X with the upgraded MCU for a ton less money, as the price dropped by tens of thousands of dollars since I bought mine in 2018 (another kick on the rocks courtesy of Elon). So, I started to plan to sell mine and then caught wind of the "refreshed" version that was imminent. That news was icing on the cake. I sold my Model X, expecting the refresh to come out within 2 months. Three months later and not a single Model X has been produced with zero explanation. No communication on the reason for the delay and no reasonable timeline.

At this point, since I don't have my Tesla any more, with no idea when I could possibly get the Model X, I may as well look at all options. Rivian looks like a different vehicle than the X by a lot, but it appears to check all my boxes as well (as someone above put it). And, a lot cheaper. So, here I am. Waiting....
Sponsored