Sponsored

Who is Buying This Vehicle?

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.
Sponsored

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

My wife and I are looking at it like an electric Range Rover. It might be capable of going off road, but don't expect to ever go there.. We are getting it to replace our Odyssey minivan to be used to transport dogs, kids and grocery shopping.

We have a diesel pickup that is and will continue to be used as the workhorse to pull and carry.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.
I have a Tesla Model S and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I expect the R1S to be very much like the Jeep Grand Cherokee as far as utility/usability and I use the Jeep probably 90% of the time on paved roads. My guess is that I am like many people in line for these vehicles who will have a vast minority of expected use on trails.

I am looking at it more for the storage side where the road trips we take will have plenty of room for gear and dogs. The shape of the Model X just never fit my needs because of the way the roofline slopes in the back. I am also not a fan of the falcon doors which is why I purchased the S and not the X back in 2016.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If you just put a deposit down recently, you'll be waiting long past next January to get your R1S. I wouldn't expect delivery until the end of 2022, or early 2023.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?
Absolutely! Lots of people daily-drive their trucks and full-size SUVs, and an EV option seems like an even better fit for a daily driver, imo.

My R1T will be my daily driver. I have had trucks, in the past, and like them -- they fit well with my lifestyle, and their utility is extremely practical, for me. I want my next vehicle to be an EV, so there aren't a lot of options (also want a truck) for me. Rivian seems to be the best-fit, so far. I reserved the 400 mile pack, so I'm looking at a January 2022 delivery, or later, anyway, so I will plan a trip to the first experience center or event that I can so I can see/touch/smell the vehicle (and hopefully DRIVE, too).

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I would respectfully suggest you peruse this forum.

Lots of threads on why they people are choosing Rivian, my instinct is most people are not buying their Rivian as a hobby vehicle, but as a fun daily driver that can "do it all"

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

TTR,

I would second everything cohall, SANZCO2, and JeremyMKE said. I'm waiting for the R1T as I have the SUV side of the equation covered. To me, either Rivian would serve pretty much all of my foreseeable needs on-road and off, for less money than the X, as you noted. Yes, you'll be waiting awhile, and yes, you'll have to adjust to a different charging network, but it's looking to be a very good one.

If you're truly new to the Rivian Adventure, poke around this and the other dedicated Rivian Forums and I think you'll be pleased with what you read, see, and hear.

Enjoy!

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
If you just put a deposit down recently, you'll be waiting long past next January to get your R1S. I wouldn't expect delivery until the end of 2022, or early 2023.
I made a reservation recently. If Iā€™m waiting until 2023, Iā€™m taking that as a sign to get something different. Rivian is advertising Jan 2022 on their website, anything beyond June is deceptive advertising in my opinion.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I made a reservation recently. If Iā€™m waiting until 2023, Iā€™m taking that as a sign to get something different. Rivian is advertising Jan 2022 on their website, anything beyond June is deceptive advertising in my opinion.
You're certainly welcome to have your own take on it. They clearly state that non-LE deliveries START in January 2022. That is likely to be true and certainly not deceptive. But the waiting list is long and production is going to be limited, I'm just trying to set realistic expectations. If you want to believe it'll be by June, that's totally fine.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You're certainly welcome to have your own take on it. They clearly state that deliveries START in January 2022. That is likely to be true and certainly not deceptive. But the waiting list is long and production is going to be limited, I'm just trying to set realistic expectations. If you want to believe it'll be by June, that's totally fine.
There are obviously lots of variables at play to change the "First come first served" equation. For example, many customers at the back of the line will likely get their vehicles this year because they chose to go for the Launch Edition. Others who have been waiting since 2018 but want the largest battery pack will wait even longer (2022) for theirs. So conceivably Rivian could release another preferred configuration that they prioritize for Jan 2022, and if you jump on that you could perhaps see a Rivian by June 2022.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
This will definitely be my daily driver. It will also serve pretty much all other life needs. Groceries, shuttling kids back / forth, taking the bikes to a trail head, the occasional camping trip with some mostly minor offroading, etc. I expect my R1T will be on pavement over 90% of its use.

The fact that it has amazing performance and offroad capabilities as part of the base package is what I think makes it a unique value (electric or ICE). I agree with the comment that the SUV is highly comparable to the use case of a Range Rover Discovery - and priced similarly too.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I would respectfully suggest you peruse this forum.

Lots of threads on why they people are choosing Rivian, my instinct is most people are not buying their Rivian as a hobby vehicle, but as a fun daily driver that can "do it all"
I hear you and agree. I did peruse a bit, but didn't find the exact information I was looking for. Will get back at it.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Absolutely! Lots of people daily-drive their trucks and full-size SUVs, and an EV option seems like an even better fit for a daily driver, imo.

My R1T will be my daily driver. I have had trucks, in the past, and like them -- they fit well with my lifestyle, and their utility is extremely practical, for me. I want my next vehicle to be an EV, so there aren't a lot of options (also want a truck) for me. Rivian seems to be the best-fit, so far. I reserved the 400 mile pack, so I'm looking at a January 2022 delivery, or later, anyway, so I will plan a trip to the first experience center or event that I can so I can see/touch/smell the vehicle (and hopefully DRIVE, too).
At the risk of looking lazy (JeremyMKE, I see you looking at me...), can anyone tell me how you reserved the larger battery pack? I called Rivian this morning, and that was one of the questions I asked the advisor. She was clueless about the battery pack.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian says "deliveries begin January 2022". That isn't deceptive.
Sponsored