Sponsored

Who else is pissed that order # doesn't matter?

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have built production software before, way less complicated than what Rivian is doing. There is an old adage in tech that the last 10% of the product/project takes as long as the first 90%.

I totally get the frustration, and I think the comment above about contacting reservation holders in order, even a personalized email, makes some sense from a cust sat standpoint, but we are not buying a chevy or ford. We are buying a brand new vehicle, on a brand new platform, from a brand new company, in a very new industry (comparatively) in EV's.

Essentially all buyers are like early stage investors in a tech company, and from my experience, nothing, absolutely nothing, ever goes 100% as planned in an early stage tech company and 98% of my experience was BEFORE covid-19!

Anyway, I am a late-ish 2019 holder (but a R1S so my expectation is not to get contacted for a while) and a little frustrated with what appears to be the 3rd delay but I kinda get it...

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I totally get the frustration, and I think the comment above about contacting reservation holders in order, even a personalized email, makes some sense from a cust sat standpoint
You should stop right there. Building out a new business like this shouldn't mean that they are given a pass on good comms or customer service.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am a 11/2020 LE reservation holder from Southern California. Curious how much location will move me up?

From a tax standpoint, January 1, 2022 would be perfect. But I no longer expect it until 6/2022

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Why are we talking about 2020 PREORDER People being contacted by a Guide. I only read about one person who ordered in 2020 being contacted. I thought it was later stated that no one could confirm that this person or supposed Guide discussion even existed. Even if this Guide discussion happened I’m not sure it would ruin my day.
I'm the person that came to this forum to report that on the "Rivian Automotive Fans" FB forum, a guy from Sacramento that ordered his R1T/El Cap/Black interior in summer 2020 had been contacted and talked with his Guide. He seems legit, said he would be talking to his Guide later that day, came back and reported his conversation with his Guide. Is he legit?? Hell, I don't know, but he seemed as legit as any of us. He had been active in that forum a number of times with typical comments and questions, so didn't just jump on the forum to cause a stir. It's the internet, though, so who really knows what's real or not. :bandit:I could be a spy from Tesla and you wouldn't know.:bandit:

Last edited:

Sponsored

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
When I called CS and asked about the 2020 pre-order being contacted there was no denial. I would say that I am definitely not happy (if true). It is a slap in the face to those of us that were on-board from the earliest days.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Everything you read on a forum from random people is true? Let me get this straight. A person here reports that another person claims they were contacted by Rivian, and you believe it, and get pissed off at Rivian. If a random person tells you a friend claims to have been abducted by aliens, do you believe that too?

I have better and more important things to do with my life than spending energy getting pissed off and ranting over a vehicle pre-order schedule, especially when it's only a rumor.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Everything you read on a forum from random people is true?

I have better and more important things to do with my life than spending energy getting pissed off and ranting over a vehicle pre-order schedule, especially when it's only a rumor.
Of course not. I don't believe a word of what you just said....(teasing). ?

My guess, is most are commenting in the event this is true, and not as a stated fact. Blowing off steam, in hopes Rivian does get the message and doesn't even consider allowing someone with a year's later preorder date, to advance ahead of an early preorder holder.

I will say though, if you have better things to do with your life than spending energy getting pissed off over rumors, it seems you may be getting a little pissed off at reading this thread. I hope you'll reconsider the intent of some of the posters. Mostly blowing off steam. Nothing personal. Me included.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I wish Rivian would have told up front which locations they were planning on servicing and selling to first. Surely they had a game plan. If they had done that, I would already be driving a new vehicle now.
Their "game plan" was the same as for every other start-up, gauge demand then plan. If 90% of their "pre-orders" (realistically just a small, refundable deposit) were from West Virginia then that's where they'd be focusing at first. If you were the tenth person to send in your $1,000 and the other 9 were from California then you were already a lower priority from day one.

I get everyone's frustration, but I guarantee that there's a plan, but whatever the plan could be will leave lots of people pissed.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Their "game plan" was the same as for every other start-up, gauge demand then plan. If 90% of their "pre-orders" (realistically just a small, refundable deposit) were from West Virginia then that's where they'd be focusing at first. If you were the tenth person to send in your $1,000 and the other 9 were from California then you were already a lower priority from day one.

I get everyone's frustration, but I guarantee that there's a plan, but whatever the plan could be will leave lots of people pissed.
I agree that no matter what, not everyone will be happy regardless, and I see no problem with Rivian gauging demand first, then making plans as where to deliver. None whatsoever. But, not releasing this information as soon as it became apparent, IMO, has created much of the unhappiness now. I'm pretty sure they knew well in advance of the Guides first starting contact. This is when reality set in, May 28th.

Was Rivian obligated to give us this information, so we could make our planning better? That's for each person to decide. I would be willing to bet, that those who are just now pre-ordering have a much better idea of what's going on, than those of us with pre-orders over 2 years ago. Their expectations should be different, from what ours were. If not, that will be on them and not Rivian.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Everyone complaining should look at the language of what they agreed to when they dropped 1k down on a deposit. It clearly indicated that order number would not be the only factor in determining delivery date, and I've never seen Rivian contradict that. The information has been available for multiple years.

None of us are entitled to anything more than what we agreed to when we gave them the 1k. If you aren't happy now, perhaps you should have read what you agreed to.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everyone complaining should look at the language of what they agreed to when they dropped 1k down on a deposit. It clearly indicated that order number would not be the only factor in determining delivery date, and I've never seen Rivian contradict that. The information has been available for multiple years.

None of us are entitled to anything more than what we agreed to when we gave them the 1k. If you aren't happy now, perhaps you should have read what you agreed to.
No doubt you are correct here, and I stated as much in another thread about a mistake I made two years ago. At that time 2 yrs. ago, I didn't know how to interpret the wording and didn't contact Customer Service to explain. I admitted to my mistake. However, this isn't the information I'm concerned with. What I wanted to know, and still do, is where these locations are, that are going to be sold to and serviced first. This information had to have been known quite some time ago, and is known now. For whatever reason, Rivian has decided not to share this information. Had I received this information, I could have made my planning sooner, than when I did.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
@cc84 - If you're concerned about being able to effectively plan something, then nothing short of them giving you an exact delivery-date would suffice. I know because I have had to adjust my plans multiple times, to the point of having to buying another vehicle, due to the delays and not knowing what my delivery date is.

If Rivian tomorrow came out and said 'We're shipping to LA, Seattle, NYC, and Chicago first." would you cancel your order? Would that give you any more info than you have now? Would that allow you to effectively plan? I'm guessing the answer to all of those questions is "No", but I may certainly be wrong.

In my mind, the general complaints (not specifically yours @cc84) are no different than going to a restaurant, ordering food, having them tell you the wait is about 30 minutes, then complaining after 15 minutes that you don't know exactly which minute your food will arrive at your table. If you were planning on expiring at the 29 minute mark, perhaps it would have been wise to have snacked somewhere else before you arrived at the restaurant.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@cc84 - If you're concerned about being able to effectively plan something, then nothing short of them giving you an exact delivery-date would suffice.
No way you could possibly know how anything affects my planning and you are incorrect in your assessment. How it affects your planning, does not translate into how it affects mine. You have no idea what my current situation is, but you're rather bold in telling me, that only an exact delivery-date would suffice. ?

I see you're located in Washington state, where some deliveries may be headed first. Not positive, as none of us know for sure, but if so, my congratulations to you, if you happen to be contacted.
Sponsored