Sponsored

White Rivian R1S real life pics (Lunar Rock interior)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That's the Lunar Rock interior which is actually a light gray.

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Wow...I was more of a Green exterior and darker interior, but this looks great actually. Kind of reminds me of IKEA in a weird way. lol

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Thats the interior that I want though I worry about glare on the windshield with that light color dash. Hopefully the production version will have a darker color on the top

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Thats the interior that I want though I worry about glare on the windshield with that light color dash. Hopefully the production version will have a darker color on the top
I have the same concern and asked Rivian about that because even some of their own pictures from their web site show significant glare. They indicated that the glare seen in their pictures won't be noticeable from the drivers seat. This is something that I will be paying careful attention to during my test drive.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I have the same concern and asked Rivian about that because even some of their own pictures from their web site show significant glare. They indicated that the glare seen in their pictures won't be noticeable from the drivers seat. This is something that I will be paying careful attention to during my test drive.
Unless there is some special glass treatment I don't see how. Reflected light on the windshield will absolutely cause glare.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Sigh ... I really wish they had carried over the white/grey steering wheel to the final Ocean Coast interior scheme. I know it's such a small detail but it adds so much refinement to the look in my opinion vs. the black steering wheel:

Rivian R1T R1S White Rivian R1S real life pics (Lunar Rock interior) 1609345932028

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Sigh ... I really wish they had carried over the white/grey steering wheel to the final Ocean Coast interior scheme. I know it's such a small detail but it adds so much refinement to the look in my opinion vs. the black steering wheel:
I feel quite the opposite - I think Ocean Coast is a significant improvement over Lunar Rock. I actually greatly prefer the contrast of the black rim with the lighter center. The black rim will also hide dirt better. Also extremely happy they have gone with a black dash cap as the lighter color was prone reflecting in the windshield as captured by their own photos.

There was a comment by Rivian some time ago about exploring cost cutting options with the interior. That may have been in part related to the Explore package but I suspect the real benefit for Rivian in switching from Lunar Rock to Ocean Coast is it allows for more parts commonality between their 2 most popular interiors (Black Mountain and Ocean Coast). Using the same black lower trim and dash cap across all interior color combos simplifies inventory and assembly while also bringing greater economies of scale by allowing these parts to be produced in greater quantities.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I feel quite the opposite - I think Ocean Coast is a significant improvement over Lunar Rock. I actually greatly prefer the contrast of the black rim with the lighter center. The black rim will also hide dirt better. Also extremely happy they have gone with a black dash cap as the lighter color was prone reflecting in the windshield as captured by their own photos.

There was a comment by Rivian some time ago about exploring cost cutting options with the interior. That may have been in part related to the Explore package but I suspect the real benefit for Rivian in switching from Lunar Rock to Ocean Coast is it allows for more parts commonality between their 2 most popular interiors (Black Mountain and Ocean Coast). Using the same black lower trim and dash cap across all interior color combos simplifies inventory and assembly while also bringing greater economies of scale by allowing these parts to be produced in greater quantities.
It makes sense that they did this for economies of scale, and that’s precisely why the black looks off to me - in a premium vehicle it’s a glaring example of cost cutting. Though I agree that from a practical view the black rim will hide dirt better and the black dash will help with glare.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It makes sense that they did this for economies of scale, and that’s precisely why the black looks off to me - in a premium vehicle it’s a glaring example of cost cutting. Though I agree that from a practical view the black rim will hide dirt better and the black dash will help with glare.
I don't think it looks "off" at all. For me color selection is really more of a reflection of design choice whereas cost cutting tends to reflect more in things like material selection.

But, these kinds of details are highly subjective as everyone likes what they like. I certainly see your point of view even if I don't fully agree.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I don't think it looks "off" at all. For me color selection is really more of a reflection of design choice whereas cost cutting tends to reflect more in things like material selection.

But, these kinds of details are highly subjective as everyone likes what they like. I certainly see your point of view even if I don't fully agree.
Design is definitely subjective :). I am not surprised that the contrasting look has its fans. I guess maybe "cost cutting" is a harsh phrase, but the point I was trying to make is that there wasn't a good enough design reason to shift to the black rim and dash apart from the fact that they're using it in the all-black interior, and so it comes across as a slight. Again, just my opinion. I'm still selecting Ocean Coast, and I'm sure I'll be pleased with the look when I see it in person.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Design is definitely subjective :). I am not surprised that the contrasting look has its fans. I guess maybe "cost cutting" is a harsh phrase, but the point I was trying to make is that there wasn't a good enough design reason to shift to the black rim and dash apart from the fact that they're using it in the all-black interior, and so it comes across as a slight. Again, just my opinion. I'm still selecting Ocean Coast, and I'm sure I'll be pleased with the look when I see it in person.
Actually, there is a very good functional reason for at least changing to the black dash cap: the reflection of the dash in the windshield. This was a matter I had emailed them about last summer so I was absolutely thrilled to see the black dash cap when Ocean Coast was revealed instead of the previous light grey.

Rivian R1T R1S White Rivian R1S real life pics (Lunar Rock interior) riv_dash
Sponsored

Last edited: