First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I lined up the rear bumpers and took a couple of photos. 2018 f-150 Lariat Oxford white. I like both trucks looks. The F-150 is just too big and styled a bit too much like a semi truck for my tastes. It also has too much chrome. But that metallic white paint of the F-150 is much better looking than the Glacier White. There are also dozens of little design cues that are more refined on the F-150. But the visual simplicity of the R1T gives it a big plus.

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2494.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2487.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2495.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2489.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2498.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2499.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look IMG_2497.JPG

If you guys want I can compare a lot of other details.
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Surprised that the F150 is not much larger. That actually looks like a reasonable size compromise to get a real truck bed. Presume that is the 67ā€ short bed?

Thanks for the pic comparison.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You definitely get a LOT more bed relatively speaking. F150 5.5' bed is 81% larger than the R1T. 52.8 vs 29.2cuft.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Thanks. This is great.

The back seat in F150 makes R1T's back seat look useless.

R1T bed is useful enough for me the way the tailgate opens. I am surprised Rivian does not have a bed extender as an option.

Have you done any street parking with both? I have a feeling size matters. 15 inch difference in length with R1T and 31 inch difference with R1S can extend the search for parking quite a bit. What do you think about size disadvantage of F150 in daily use?

If F150 was the Lightning and you had to pick one to live with, which one would you pick and why?

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Surprised that the F150 is not much larger. That actually looks like a reasonable size compromise to get a real truck bed. Presume that is the 67ā€ short bed?

Thanks for the pic comparison.
Yes it is the popular 5.5' short bed. I know there was an option for a longer bed but I have never seen one. As long as it is 48" wide between the wheel wells I consider it a real bed. I was planning on loading a 50" wide UTV in but have not tested that. Should be fine with the longer tailgate.
My Avalanche could swallow a full 4x8 sheet and keep it dry. Everything else is just a matter how far out the back it sticks.

I like the Ford factory bed liner. I have no scratches after 4 years and I have not tried that hard. The plastic of the R1T begs for a rubber pad on top.

Sponsored

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
You definitely get a LOT more bed relatively speaking. F150 5.5' bed is 81% larger than the R1T. 52.8 vs 29.2cuft.
I have not done that math. But yes it is bigger. I seldom need more than the R1T has unless I am being lazy and not taking the last project out before I put the next one in.

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Thanks. This is great.

The back seat in F150 makes R1T's back seat look useless.

R1T bed is useful enough for me the way the tailgate opens. I am surprised Rivian does not have a bed extender as an option.

Have you done any street parking with both? I have a feeling size matters. 15 inch difference in length with R1T and 31 inch difference with R1S can extend the search for parking quite a bit. What do you think about size disadvantage of F150 in daily use?

If F150 was the Lightning and you had to pick one to live with, which one would you pick and why?
The back seat in the F-150 is so large that it seems wasteful. I flip the seat up and use that space like it is another bed. But the back seat is always 100% dry. Unlike under the tonneau. The Undercover folding cover was dryer than the R1T but still not perfect. The R1T was better at keeping dust from gravel roads out.

I don't dare street park a $100,000+ truck. But that said I would pick the R1T because of parking alone. My old F-150s were reasonable to park. It required skill but could fit in any normal space. They started making them so big with such terrible turning radiuses that I have to pass any perpendicular parking spot that has full sized cars on both sides. I usually just park way out and walk rather than creep slowly into a spot.

The F-150 has parallel park assist that can nail a spot if you have the forethought and patience to use it. The R1T has front and rear parking sensors where the F-150 only has rear.

I have a Lightning on preorder and sold this R1T. I want to really try the lightning out. But I expect I will be back in an R1T when it is all done. I put over 2000 miles on my R1T before I sold it.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Iā€™m surprised this is Oxford White rather than Platinum White.
Oxford White doesnā€™t have any flake in it. Itā€™s the euro truck color. My Raptor is Oxford White.
Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look 5926FE9B-7692-4088-BFC9-8E091A2CD0E4

I love all of my cup holders. Iā€™m going to miss them šŸ˜‚

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Oxford White doesnā€™t have any flake in it. Itā€™s the euro truck color. My Raptor is Oxford White.
5926FE9B-7692-4088-BFC9-8E091A2CD0E4.jpeg

And the glove box.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

And the glove box.
The lack of glovebox is pretty hard to understand to be honest. The under seat drawer doesnā€™t make up for it. The bin in the middle is a mess (same as in the Raptor), perfect to drop things in but unpractical in terms of finding them later on.
Possibly a bit far fetched, but I wonder how cops will react when youā€™ll need to reach out god knows where to get your registration and insurance... it seems like whoever decided to skip the glovebox isnā€˜t very much in touch with reality.

Sponsored

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I looked it up again, and you are right. Not oxford white. But that is the touchup paint they sold me. "Platinum Metallic TC" is what it is called on the sticker. Only costs $595, not $1500 to $2500
Yes. The cup holders in the R1T are like from Europe or something.

Rivian R1T R1S White R1T vs White F-150 Side-by-Side Comparison Look Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.26.05 AM

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
The lack of glovebox is pretty hard to understand to be honest. The under seat drawer doesnā€™t make up for it. The bin in the middle is a mess (same as in the Raptor), perfect to drop things in but unpractical in terms of finding them later on.
Possibly a bit far fetched, but I wonder how cops will react when youā€™ll need to reach out god knows where to get your registration and insurance... it seems like whoever decided to skip the glovebox isnā€˜t very much in touch with reality.
I can live without the glovebox. It is nice but not necessary. Yes, pulling your insurance card out will make a lot of cops nervous. There is also no overhead sunglass storage. I found that some of the stuff I would have kept in the glovebox I kept in the lower part of the fronk. The storage in the gear tunnel doors is also a good spot for that kind of stuff. Like the first aid kit that is already there.
But yes, the center console just swallows stuff in both trucks. At least with the F-150 it will keep swallowing till you have everything you could possibly need. It is quite the yard sale to really go after my spare reading glasses that I dropped in there 6 months back.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I spoke to a Rivian SC employee who told me that they use Hydroflask in the door pocket rather than the cup holders. And they werenā€™t very happy about the lack of glovebox.
Sometimes trying to be different is not all that great.

Going back to the difference in size, the wheel arches on the Rivian stick out much more than on the F150. I think Rivian missed an opportunity to have a slightly wider cab without increasing the overall width.
Hopefully they did this for aerodynamic purposes rather than design.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
5926FE9B-7692-4088-BFC9-8E091A2CD0E4.jpeg

Are you selling your Gen 3 Raptor and getting into an R1T?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Are you selling your Gen 3 Raptor and getting into an R1T?
Thatā€™s the idea. Although weā€™re leaning towards the R1S. The R1Tā€™s bed being even smaller than the Raptorā€™s.
I have to say that Iā€™m getting a little hesitant. The main reason being the charging network. With the Tesla (which you can get a glimpse of in that picture), life is nice and easy with the available network. The Rivian on the other hand relies on all the other ā€œpublicā€ charging networks which seem to be somewhat unreliable and still greatly need to expand.
Weā€™ll feel better about it once we get a charger installed at our mountain house (That wonā€™t make up for the power shutdown California us known for during fire season).
Sponsored

Last edited: