Sponsored

Which upcoming vehicles are you most excited to see?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Also excited about the CT...

Rivian has had a boatload of issues, many still unresolved and they're already de-contenting vehicles and removing options. Their original engineering was brillaint, but they have been completely underwhelming when it comes to problem solving so far. Issues that were present from day 1 are still happening on VIN 16,000 with no fix in sight (half shaft issues, tonneau).

In contrast, Tesla has actually added features from the original CT spec (1,000 Volt charging, 4-wheel steering, mega cast front and rear, etc..) and has proven pretty competent at solving issues after the fact.
Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

In contrast, Tesla has actually added features from the original CT spec (1,000 Volt charging, 4-wheel steering, mega cast front and rear, etc..) and has proven pretty competent at solving issues after the fact.
“Adding features” and “solving issues” is a lot easier for a vehicle that doesn’t even exist in reality. If we’re going to compare Rivians to a non-existent competitor, then perhaps we should begin with the most important feature of all - customer delivery.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

“Adding features” and “solving issues” is a lot easier for a vehicle that doesn’t even exist in reality. If we’re going to compare Rivians to a non-existent competitor, then perhaps we should begin with the most important feature of all - customer delivery.
I have solved all of the issues with my estate in the Hamptons as well.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In contrast, Tesla has actually added features from the original CT spec (1,000 Volt charging, 4-wheel steering, mega cast front and rear, etc..) and has proven pretty competent at solving issues after the fact
Is Telsa in "after the fact" territory with the cybertruck already? Man, I have not been paying attention.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Is Telsa in "after the fact" territory with the cybertruck already? Man, I have not been paying attention.
Yep, solved so many issues that they’ve even made a cloaking device for the thing. There are millions on the road. You just can’t see them.

I assume they were talking about solving problems with the S, X, 3, and Y, but I’m not sure that’s entirely true either. And have all of this fixes been delivered within the first year of the model being available? That’s the fair comparison with Rivian, not that they’ve fixed something 5 years down the line.

Sponsored

TheNightman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T
This is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here. This truck doesn’t exist in the real world. It’s not the same.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here. This truck doesn’t exist in the real world. It’s not the same.
Don't mind Elon, he pops in a few times a week to talk up the CT as if it's a real thing. It's mostly harmless.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Excited for the yet to be announced (hoping for) a Grand Highlander Prime and Sienna Prime. Or a BMW X7e PHEV.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
The Land Rover EVs- lots of talk but they also seem obsessed with FSD, so that will tie them up a bit...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Also excited about the CT...

Rivian has had a boatload of issues, many still unresolved and they're already de-contenting vehicles and removing options. Their original engineering was brillaint, but they have been completely underwhelming when it comes to problem solving so far. Issues that were present from day 1 are still happening on VIN 16,000 with no fix in sight (half shaft issues, tonneau).

That's nothing, you should see how many issues were solved with my flying car. It's truly amazing.

Sponsored

BGS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just sold my F150 in anticipation of buying a Jeep Gladiator. That is, until I found you guys. Currently driving a 19 Mitsubishi Elcipse Cross because they had 0% financing. Also, a couple Harleys in the garage.
Clubs

Giving a serious look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve plug in. I love the night vision option that's available for my encounters with the indigenous four legged forest rats that seem to love to jump in front of me.
Wouldn't be looking at all if the vampire drain wasn't so severe. 11% or so after sitting 5 days is unacceptable to me, especially after a Model Y Performance and EV6 might lose 1%. All things equal, security off. Rivian can do better.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Fisker Ocean. I have a reservation but it's taking too long. Looks like I'll be getting a Hyundai Ioniq 5 within the next few weeks.

hyzerfool

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software writin' guy
Clubs

Aptera.

We've got both r1s and Aptera reserved / ordered / whatever. Sure wish the Aptera had even a 3rd seat. With wife and 2 kids if the wife heads out in the model y then there are 3 of us at home with a 2 seater. Not ideal.

The 3rd row of the r1s gets the family very excited as a Honda odyssey replacement, but I just love the extreme efficiency the Aptera brings to the table.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I know many are still skeptical regarding CT ever being produced, but it's real and it's closer to production as a lot has happened lately..

-The 9,000 ton Idra Giga Press that's needed for the huge CT body casting has finally been delivered to the Port of Houston from Italy via ship in late Sept.
-The concrete floor in Giga-Texas has been broken up, the huge footings and pad for the Giga Press have been poured and cured.
-Just 2-3 weeks ago the disassembled press (54 pieces weighing a total of 171,000 lbs) shipping containers were delivered by trucks to the Austin Gigafactory site and are currently being re-assembled (estimated by Idra to take about one month to complete) in the GT plant starting last week.
-Once assembled, it has to be tested and validated (estimates are that will take about a month after final assemble of the press is completed).

There's still the issue of the new 4680 battery cells (they can produce in small volume, but when they started big volume production, Tesla ended up with too many rejects) but if Tesla can scale 4680 cell production many think CT production could start mid 2023.

Tesla did not invest over a billion dollars in the Austin Gigafactory just to make Model Y's and Semi's. They have over 1.5 million CT reservations at this point, and Tesla intends to cash in on that!

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

BEV about size of S2000. Only need 150 mile range. 0-60 in 2.5 or less. Whoever makes something like this for less than 6 figures.
A low-to-the-ground miata style zippy boi would be thrilling and actually kind of terrifying.
Sponsored