Which safety features are enabled when?

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Can owners clarify when the safety features of the R1T are enabled?

As I understand it, there are 3 levels of safety/drivers assist:
  • Always enabled – just the basic safety systems they are always on (but subject to the conditions listed in the Owner’s Guide)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – you enable this with a single push down on the stalk
  • Highway Assist (HWA) – you enable this with 2 fast pushes down on the stalk
Automatic high beams
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Park Assist
Blind Spot Warning
Collision Mitigation (basically, FCW & emergency braking)
Lane Departure Warning
Lane Keeping Assist
– is this enabled/disabled easily or is it deep in the menus?

I know they list more conditions for each of these to be enabled in the UG, just trying to verify I understand which need ACC or HWA to be on as well. I assume that the first 3 or 4 are always on. My biggest concern is around Collision Mitigation – I hope that emergency braking is always on but I just can’t tell. The last 2 seem like maybe they are only enabled through ACC or HWA? But it’s not clear to me through the UG.

If Collision Mitigation is always enabled like I hope, have people had phantom braking incidents without ACC or HWA being enabled? I really want the extra security of emergency braking, but would be very freaked out if it just occasionally slams on the brakes for no reason.

Thanks!
Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

I know this wasn't in your original list, but I do remember seeing some videos of owners complaining that Rivian won't let you drive unless the door is closed and the seat belt is buckled. This "safety feature" seems like it can be really annoying, as I'm sure everyone here has at least one time tried to creep forward or reverse without the seat belt engaged and the door open for one reason or another (like quickly moving the car).

OP
OP

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I'd like to see them all disableable, frankly there are sometimes 'emergency' situations where I just want a "I know what I'm doing, leave me alone" button

It's extremely uncommon, but real life isn't predictable, the last thing I want is to be caught in a trap or something because my own car won't let me go through an obstacle. It's not unheard of even in the US (https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/new...fles-driver-on-new-jersey-turnpike-extension/). Advanced safety features are great 99% of the time, but sometimes they're faulty or don't recognize that actually maybe I need to collide with something or drive with the door open or without a seatbelt, etc.
Sponsored