Sponsored

Which Pop-top Shell will be the first on R1T?

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Any bets? Time-frame? Who's got more than just rumors and hearsay?
Sponsored

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Pop-Top? Your saying "topper" "cap" "bedcover", ??

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Any bets? Time-frame? Who's got more than just rumors and hearsay?
I talked to both Super Pacific and Go Fast at the Overland Expo PNW last week. Both have had R1Ts in for measurements and are doing a more in depth study now.

GFC has wavered between more to less committed in the past but seem to be heading in the direction of a plausible fitment. They have said repeatedly that it's a difficult design especially with aero considerations and other design aspects (the curve radius where the bed meets the cab, the spoiler on the cab, the lack of a good bed rail to clamp to, the buttons on the bed sides, the tonneau...). It's not clear what they will land on. They did cancel my preorder since they didn't have a confirmed design yet.

Super Pacific seemed earlier in their thinking. I like certain aspects of their design but it doesn't seem quite as robust and is certainly heavier. However I did spend some time talking them through the crossbar mounts and they seemed interested in a more custom fitment that would potentially latch on to the existing Rivian crossbar mounts on both the bed and the roof, for a much easier fit to add/remove and no interference with the tonneau etc. The biggest challenges there would be weather/dust sealing on the bed and not interfering with the bed rail controls. And of course it would be a totally unique fitment for them, which doesn't scale well for a low-volume vehicle.

All in all we'll see - both companies seem intrigued by the vehicle and they have clearly heard interest from Rivian buyers. I wouldn't put money on who is first but it's a matter of time for someone.

I do think people will be surprised at the aero impact compared to a bed-mounted RTT, though - the R1T cab is very carefully designed for optimal airflow that detaches cleanly over the bed, which creates a great void space where you can put a RTT with minimal impact. A pop-up camper will not only completely negate that design, but will also shove an effective scoop right above the cab. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a minimum 30% range impact at freeway speeds, whereas I literally can't tell the difference when my Condor Overland is on. I'm only willing to accept that kind of range hit if it's easy to add/remove, and right now both Super Pacific and GFC are really intended to be semi-permanent installs.

OP
OP
sierraskier

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping Snug Top comes out with one. Best I've ever owned (had 4).
I'm not familiar with those, will have to check them out. They are a pop-top / wedge shell with bed on top?

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Has anyone heard about any recent progress regarding a R1T camper? Specifically, with Super Pacific or GFC? I reached out to both companies several months ago, and their answers were essentially what was posted earlier in this thread: that they have taken measurements, but the design is difficult and there are no immediate plans to produce. A camper would really soften the blow of settling for the (eventual) manual tonneau cover.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sierraskier

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anyone heard about any recent progress regarding a R1T camper? Specifically, with Super Pacific or GFC? I reached out to both companies several months ago, and their answers were essentially what was posted earlier in this thread: that they have taken measurements, but the design is difficult and there are no immediate plans to produce. A camper would really soften the blow of settling for the (eventual) manual tonneau cover.
No but there's this

https://www.campluxecabovers.com/photos-specs

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Haha. Thanks for sharing. Iā€™m much more interested in something like the SP or GFC where I can still use the truck bed and benefit from the extra bed height.

Iā€™m sure this is a compelling option for the right customer, but the simple RTT on the aforementioned campers is plenty for me.

Itā€™s great to see more options being produced, though.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I've posted about them before but Oru Designs is building me a camper:

https://www.orudesignsusa.com/

Check their Instagram for more details, I think website is being updated soon too.

I really liked their hard sided concept for a more winter focused camper. I will certainly post more details when I actually have something on my truck, hopefully weeks not months.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've posted about them before but Oru Designs is building me a camper:

https://www.orudesignsusa.com/

Check their Instagram for more details, I think website is being updated soon too.

I really liked their hard sided concept for a more winter focused camper. I will certainly post more details when I actually have something on my truck, hopefully weeks not months.
I'll be passing through your neck of the woods a couple times next week, in case you need a second opinion on fitment šŸ˜œ

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'll be passing through your neck of the woods a couple times next week, in case you need a second opinion on fitment šŸ˜œ
Seems unlikely I will have it by next week, since I will have to drive to So Cal to pick it up. On the other hand if the snow conditions look good..
Sponsored