Sponsored

Which Manufacture will put 10K Pick-ups in Customers hand First?

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Right now if I had to bet money I would say Tesla will have 10K built by end of 2nd quarter 2022. any hiccups in Normal and its going to be close.
Tesla has to build a factory before they can build CTs. I would be surprised if Tesla delivers CT in any volume in 2022.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Tesla has to build a factory before they can build CTs. I would be surprised if Tesla delivers CT in any volume in 2022.
An article in Electrek dated March 12 2021 is projecting enough of the facility to be completed in May 2021 to begin limited production at least by 3rd quarter 2021. Musk doesn't like being second. The only question is what mix of vehicles they produce there.

Last edited:

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
First good luck on the proceeder. I have worked backwards from the statement that the LE will be delivered in 2021. Assuming 7500 LE, 3rd quarter production of 2.5K and 4th quarter at 5K that would work. I'm just not hearing much chatter over there to make me feel good about that time line. Right now if I had to bet money I would say Tesla will have 10K built by end of 2nd quarter 2022. Any hiccups in Normal and its going to be close.
When Tesla finally does start to ship the Cybertruck, it wonā€™t matter how many Rivanā€˜s there will be on the road. Tesla will dominate this market. Thatā€™s just the way it is.

OP
OP

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
When Tesla finally does start to ship the Cybertruck, it wonā€™t matter how many Rivanā€˜s there will be on the road. Tesla will dominate this market. Thatā€™s just the way it is.
Maybe on the coast but there is a huge market in the flyover country that will buy a more conventional styled Pick-up over the thing I say coming from Tesla. And having options is a good thing

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

First good luck on the proceeder. I have worked backwards from the statement that the LE will be delivered in 2021. Assuming 7500 LE, 3rd quarter production of 2.5K and 4th quarter at 5K that would work. I'm just not hearing much chatter over there to make me feel good about that time line. Right now if I had to bet money I would say Tesla will have 10K built by end of 2nd quarter 2022. Any hiccups in Normal and its going to be close.
Thanks for the well wishes. When last I exited the conversation, Pandora was playing Tom Petty singing, "The waiting is the hardest part", and he was right. Back on topic, I don't spend much time researching Tesla. I love 'em and have always been a fan of Elon, just not a fanboy. Most of what I know about Tesla comes from the people in this forum.

Are they converting one of their existing manufacturing lines to make the Cyber Truck, or are they all going to be made in Texas? If Texas, do you think they'll have a production line up and running with 10,000 functional units produced before Rivian can put out their 10,000th R1T? Regardless of where the CTs are made, I certainly hope the "Ready, Fire, Aim!" methodology employed to pump out the first M3's is improved. With the bigger footprint of the CT over the M3, that same manufacturing method would require one big-ass carnival tent for the end of that factory!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

p.s. I'm prepping for a colonscopy later this morning, so please cut me some slack.
Been there, brother. I'll cut your poor porcelain some slack ??

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's certainly possible. But I hope that turns out false.

The Model S was a beautiful design -- no doubt. Personally, I felt the Model 3 looked "off". There is a definite "toy-like" quality to it that feels off-putting.

The CyberTruck, however, is an abomination. The first time I saw it my only thought was "BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!". I hope Tesla pulls it's head from it's hindquarters and dramatically redesigns the CyberTruck before trying to bring it to market. Unfortunately, with Elon at the helm, that seems unlikely.

If Tesla insists on bring the dumpster fire to market, I sincerely hope that people aren't so drunk on Tesla Kool-Aid that they blindly accept it..

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Maybe on the coast but there is a huge market in the flyover country that will buy a more conventional styled Pick-up over the thing I say coming from Tesla. And having options is a good thing
I am not so sure the coasts are gonna want to deal with that giant truck on the road or parking it at home or away.

I wish them success, seriously why not, but I just dont see it being a huge success.

That said a truck hating friend of mine on the west coast has one on order because it is so different. I would bet money he won't actually buy it.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
That's certainly possible. But I hope that turns out false.

The Model S was a beautiful design -- no doubt. Personally, I felt the Model 3 looked "off". There is a definite "toy-like" quality to it that feels off-putting.

The CyberTruck, however, is an abomination. The first time I saw it my only thought was "BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!". I hope Tesla pulls it's head from it's hindquarters and dramatically redesigns the CyberTruck before trying to bring it to market. Unfortunately, with Elon at the helm, that seems unlikely.

If Tesla insists on bring the dumpster fire to market, I sincerely hope that people aren't so drunk on Tesla Kool-Aid that they blindly accept it..
When I first saw the CT, I thought oh man... thatā€™s ugly. You have got to be kidding me.
but as crazy as this sounds, the shape grows on you. Makes all ICE trucks look like an antique.
and of course, the raw performance, range and tech is over the top. Range is king and thatā€™s why it will dominate.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You could be right. I was extremely excited for the CT reveal & I think they hugely missed the mark. If Rivian executes, I think the R1T is a much more palatable option that should see more mainstream success.

I think you'll see Tesla fans possibly start to buy some trucks/CT, but I don't think many traditional truck buyers will buy a CT. Some traditional truck buyers & some customers new to EVs will buy the Rivian.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™m not really sure the R1T and the Cybertruck are competing in the same space. The R1T is a luxury vehicle for people who enjoy the outdoors or actually need to get work done. Rivian is going to be very hard on the Tesla Model X and maybe even Model S. Perfect for someone who is ready to upgrade the Subaru or Tacoma. Maybe someone who wants a nice truck without the hassle of parking an F150.

The Cybertruck is a bare bones contraption with amazing performance numbers at an unbelievable price. The styling and interior leave a lot to be desired. The people I know with CT reservations have never driven any full sized truck before. I donā€™t think they understand what they are buying.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Ford is farther along then they are telling people. the mach E I have already seen driving around the streets. The E F150 and a E series electric van wont be far behind. They are advertising to companies "like mine" that they will have the first electric van and truck which seems odd since they know Rivians time lines.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When I first saw the CT, I thought oh man... thatā€™s ugly. You have got to be kidding me.
but as crazy as this sounds, the shape grows on you. Makes all ICE trucks look like an antique.
and of course, the raw performance, range and tech is over the top. Range is king and thatā€™s why it will dominate.
May have grown on you; it has not grown on me.

Performance and range have not been demonstrated, so should not be trusted. Tesla has a long and tarnished history of over-promising and under-delivering. I wouldn't trust anything they say until they prove it.

Tesla tech is behind the competition in many areas. Tesla still hasn't figured out ventilated seats, for example. You can get that on cheap Kias, yet Tesla hasn't figured it out. With all the cameras Tesla has on their vehicle they still don't offer a 360 degree view. Everything is there to support it, but Elon/Tesla have too much hubris to implement the simple piece of software.

They have made some impressive claims -- such as dent-resistant door panels and break-resistant glass; however, when they try to demonstrate these "features" they fail catastrophically. These were controlled demonstrations, too.

And here we are, many months after the unveil and Tesla doesn't have any test mules running around. There is no road-legal prototype that the public has seen -- not even a CGI render.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Perfect for someone who is ready to upgrade the Subaru or Tacoma. Maybe someone who wants a nice truck without the hassle of parking an F150.
What?

The Cyber Truck is F150 size -- including length. CT visibility will probably suck, too, thanks to that odd design they've shown. And Tesla doesn't offer any 360 degree camera views, unlike Ford.

By all the evidence we've seen, the CT will likely be more difficult to navigate in tight spots and park, compared to other trucks.
Sponsored